JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone had the light strike problems and fix it without turning their gun into an airsoft-like gearbox rebuild project? I am supposed to be getting a new firing pin, but haven't put it in yet. A 10/22 looks better all the time.

Thanks Andrew I did They're sending me a new firing pin. I just was trying to figure out if anyone had any special tricks. I filed the original pin a bit per the standard mod, but it only lasted for a few hundred rounds tonight until the light strikes were back Carbon ? between the pin and bolt? Don't know. It has about 1200rds through it so far. Oh well, even the M16 had problems at first, but I am surprised this is a new QC issue. It only affects a "select" few.

Thanks Andrew I did They're sending me a new firing pin. I just was trying to figure out if anyone had any special tricks. I filed the original pin a bit per the standard mod, but it only lasted for a few hundred rounds tonight until the light strikes were back Carbon ? between the pin and bolt? Don't know. It has about 1200rds through it so far. Oh well, even the M16 had problems at first, but I am surprised this is a new QC issue. It only affects a "select" few.

one easy fix that i've seen work is spray a heavy coat of break free over the entire bolt and let it sit 12+ hrs, also check/replace the nuts and bolts on the bolt.:s0155:

Thanks USC
I was kind of thinking the same thing.

I also ordered a new screw kit. I think some of the German designers ate a few too many spoonfuls of stupid when they designed this one. I shouldn't have to buy buffers, screws, and new parts for a $500 .22 that has been around for two years. The bolt carrier also comes loose every 200rds or so because mine shipped with no lock washer on the bolt stop.

I shoot almost every day so maybe this one wasn't for me after all, but I'm not giving up yet.

Is there a factory warranty on the GSGs? If so, how long is it?

The warranty is 2 years.

USC and I have shot thousands of rounds with very small issues.

I haven't replaced anything or added a buffer.

In general they are more reliable and more accurate than a 10/22

I have over 35,000 thru mine and its a very early gen 1:D

I had ZERO issues with mine, I just did the bolt upgrade just because I didnt like the factory stuff

Thanks guys. I just got my parts from ATI and Germany and I'm going to be putting them in.

I still love this gun, but it's frustrating (and dangerous) to eject live rounds that have already been struck. I'm doing the screw and HK push pin upgrades so I'm sure I'll get it running better and easier to clean regularly. I'm still surprised on how many screws and pins need to be removed to clean it.

Also, do you guys clean yours every 550rds or what? ...and do you take the carrier apart when you clean or spray/soak it like USC said?

I appreciate the help and comments from you guys

Also, do you guys clean yours every 550rds or what? ...and do you take the carrier apart when you clean or spray/soak it like USC said?

I appreciate the help and comments from you guys

I only take the carrier apart every 5-6000 rounds:s0155: usually I just spray and scrub it, then spray it and let it soak overnight

Sorry for not doing my own searching before asking but... where did you get this bolt upgrade kit and how much was it? :eek:

look in this thread about half way down the page:s0155:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=244302

Are you referring to the "Phillips Type Screw Replacement" post by the feller going by the name Jackal2001? :s0155:

I guess then the thing to do is use that "list" and then head to the local "screw store" and pick up the appropriate parts?? Is there a particular hardness that needs to be taken into account or is the standard stuff you'd find at any hardware store sufficient?

Too bad there isn't a ready-made "kit" already out there. ;)

Well... I put in the upgraded firing pin I was sent from ATI and it still jams like crazy. Anyone have any words of wisdom? I also soaked the bolt overnight in CLP and it still has 2-3 FTFs per mag using the bulk 550 Federal I used to be able to buy at Walmart. It might be classified ad time. Will I have to pay a load of money to send it to ATI? Not sure what to do. I have already put several hours tinkering with this thing and need to get it running for desert dog season.

Last Edited:
You should be able to talk to ATI and get them to fix it for you for nothing. Shipping it is just normal post, if you ahve a box for it, it shouldn't be more than ~20 bucks (though some carriers might demand shipping overnight).

I took mine out for the first time this weekend, and had a few problems as well. I got quite a few rounds that didn't fire (which I suspect might be using cheap remington thunderbolt ammo), a few rounds that did a nose-dive into the front of the magazine (which might be the pro-mags I bought), and it occasionally doesn't leave the bolt open(again, I'm hoping its the mag).

I don't really know what to tell ya on the light-strikes, I might be suffering from the same issue, but the replacement firing pin should have taken care of it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top