JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't bother with subsonic rounds in a pistol. I found no noticeable difference compared to standard velocity rounds. Rounds that are labeled 1000 to 1300 fps sound the same to me, when ran though a suppressor. The only real difference in sound are the Aguila 375 and 500 fps 20 grain rounds; Hollywood quite, but you have to cycle them by hand.

I shot 50 CCI standard velocity's (20 FPS faster than their Subs) with 100% reliability. Not a lot I know, I prefer to use MiniMags because they are copper washed (SWR suggests MiniMgs through the Warlock) and only slightly louder. I save my S.V.s for rifle use, where it REALLY makes a difference.

Haven't tried a GSG 1911 but my ceiner .22lr 1911 upper functions reliably with cci subsonics through a can. Usually mini-mags end up subsonic through the pistol though so it's not a big deal.

Mine works decently with Rem Subsonics, but has some feeding problems.
Cheap plated Federal bulk pack ammo works best, 100% reliable w/ or w/o the can. $17 for 525 at Bimart.

I'll chronograph mine this weekend (should be the same as a gsg, same bbl length) with some various ammo if I have time. With mini-mags it's right on the verge of supersonic with the occasional crack. It's always subsonic through the walther p22 with the 3.5" barrel (or whatever length the short one is).

Ok, I did some quick chronograph testing before the civil war game. Unfortunately I couldn't find the mini-mags in time (got some, just didn't have time to dig them out) so I used some American Eagle 38gr hollow points which are similar to mini-mag hollow points:
Here are the factory specs:
Mini Mag HP: 36gr 1260fps
Am. Eagle HP: 38gr 1280fps

Subsonic:
CCI Subsonic HP: 40gr 1050fps

The other ammo was CCI Subsonics, which typically give me the best accuracy (on par with expensive Eley stuff for less $) and is my standard suppressed round. The firearm was my Kimber Custom II with a ceiner 22lr conversion upper. The suppressor was a TROS MD22.

There were no failures to feed or fire. Altitude is about 700 feet above sea level, temp is about 50 degrees. The sonic barrier appeared to be at about 1100 fps (see results)

I ran them with and without the can. It did provide a little bit of a velocity boost which isn't uncommon.

CCI Subsonic:
Velocity without can (in fps), no sonic cracks:
With supperssor, no sonic cracks

No sonic cracks with or without the can for the CCI subsonics

American Eagle 38gr:
Velocity without can (in fps) no sonic cracks I could hear through my hearing protection:
Velocity with can, 2 rounds had sonic cracks:
1103 (crack)
1122 (crack)

Conclusion: If you want every round to stay subsonic (if you are some special ops operator taking out sentry dogs) go with the subsonic ammo because you'll probably get the occasional sonic crack with full velocity stuff. With CCI mini-mags being rated 20fps less than the ammo I was using you may get every round subsonic but you'll have to see for yourself of course since they were just on the verge.
However with the price difference, the standard stuff is fine and I shot without hearing protection and no unpleasantness when using the suppressor.

THX.. I just have a habit of every time I go to the store picking up 100rnds of subsonics..

like 3k as it sits in my safe... but I am also keeping them for my bolt gun so this info is awesome... appreciate it...

I had called the guys at SWR to find out what ammo they used for testing their .22 cans with pistols. They told me they preferred to use CCI standard velocity rounds, I have had great results with them and also the Fiochi Subsonic rounds..FYI

I found with my P22 that it won't cycle reliably with anything but Mini-mags.

However, with the can attached, it cycles reliably with everything I feed it.

I usually run the cheapest ammo I can find. Subsonics are quieter, but golden bullets and cheap crap are nearly as quiet.

Your best bet, is Federal gold Medal Match Standard Velocity. It is 1080fps or something like that. It has no sonic crack from my rifle or pistol with can. Best part is very accurate. Not technically labeled as a sub-sonic, but it is.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top