Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

GSG 1911-22 FTx issues, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by 10010110, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 10010110

10010110 Forest Grove region Active Member

I have 2 GSG 1911-22 pistols and shoot Federal 38gr copper plated rounds. Both pistols have exhibited a high number of Fail to Feed / Fail to Eject. I've put ~300 rounds through each.

My research has led me to purchase the PES and new guide rod from CW Accessories (CW Accessories LLC | Products) to eliminate spring and guide rod issues. These new parts did not make a difference, but will likely save me some trouble down the road with breaking plastic guide rods.

I have also found people discussing their polishing of the slide rails, and any other parts that come in contact, due to imprecise machining of parts and a weak finish job. Some claim their problems went away immediately.

In my manual tests, I did note that the slide seemed a bit sticky, so I polished the places where parts make contact with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Manually it felt a lot more smoother, but alas did not make the FTF/FTE issues go away. I have not shot the 2 pistols enough to determine if I have decreased the frequency of problems.

I have not shot different ammo yet, but I would be shocked if the pistol is this sensitive and would likely sell them.

I also have not yet disassembled the slide to check the dirty level of the extractor. I can't find info on cleaning the GSG 1911-22 extractor, and am hesitant to assume it's the same as normal 1911.

Any suggestions from those that have owned this pistol?

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Shoot CCI minimags through it, some of them take time to break in and I have had some Federal ammo act up also.

3. 10010110

10010110 Forest Grove region Active Member

I have to admit I was wrong and will definitely learn from this experience. My Federal 38gr ammo was the problem for the 22LR pistol. I had some CCI 40gr and had 0 problems in 8 mags (80 rounds) on the pistol. 2 grains made the difference in energy pushing the slide back so it could do its job.

I now have a jar of CCI 40gr 22LR labeled for pistol use, and a jar of Federal 38gr 22LR labeled for rifle use.

4. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I recently upgrade to the stiffer spring and rod because, although mine functioned fine with CCI mini mags and Stingers, the slide seems anemic going back into barrel. If I was not gripping the grip safety the slide would just 'stay' when pulled back, from friction.

Today I was into my fourth mag after the spring/rod modification and the barrel bushing broke. Seems like cheap pot metal. Apparently could not take the pressure of the higher rate recoil spring and the Stingers.

Ordered a replacement barrel bushing from ZR Tactical for $18.00. Hopefully this replacement will be made of something a little tougher metal-wise. I was lucky and found the other pieces - the spring and rod cap.

I love the GSG 1911-22 even though it has its flaws. Just needs some modding to be right.