JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all. I know I don't post much here but I read through this preparedness forum almost daily for the last few months and I want this group's input on my thoughts.

I saw yesterday that Walmart is now selling freeze-dried food in #10 cans. When I saw this new section(well at least it was the first time I saw it in Walmart) it stopped me dead in my tracks. In all honesty my first reaction was a tiny bit of fear that there may be a need to use our preps in the foreseeable future. I mean, why would Walmart start selling this preppers oriented foods unless there is soon going to be a mass societal understanding that individuals need to store food long term. I refuse to believe it is just for bulk purchasing, as it would be cheaper to buy in bulk without the freeze-drying.

So what say you fellow preppers? Do you see this as a small sign of the foreseeable future, or is Walmart just trying to get a financial piece of the (what I understand to be) growing prepper market?

I guarantee Walmart doesnt have some inside information and out of the goodness of their hearts are trying to prepare the masses. No Wallyworld sees the awakening of more and more sheeple who can read between the lines and see the writing on the wall and they they want their cut of the market. Costco and most supermarkets also now carry long term storage foods also.

Actually it is a cultural fad that comes and goes. Prepping is nothing new. It isn't even reaching heights these days that it did in the 70's...much less the 50's. I remember back in school (1970's) being given handouts on what supplies a person should have in their home in case of disaster. They don't do that anymore. These days, more often than not, it is just someone capitalizing on fear and uncertainty to make a buck.

I see it as a good sign that Wally World, Costco and other big stores are selling "prep food." The decision to do so is a business decision; they see a market, a demand for those items. But it raises awareness. Maybe more people will store food.

I too was a bit surprised to see Costco and other retailers advertising and stocking the stuff. They would not do it if the sales were not there, so there must be more people than I thought preparing for some various emergency situations. I really don't sense any fear[/I ] among the public at large though; not like we saw with Y2K for example. So for that reason alone I find the retailers' stocking of those prep items to be interesting.

Increased production means wider availability and lower prices
But the interesting bit is that beyond the CDC Zombies and various weak kneed local gov programs there is very little "Push" behind these prep efforts. The prep market is not media driven, it is grass roots, and that is a Very Large indicator.

The only reason Wally world stocks anything is that they see a profit in it.
Honestly I just don't see what the big deal is and why some stuff is even called "prepping." I'm not denying there's certainly a prepping movement but growing up in a rural area (and now living in one) we always had a cellar stocked. Living day to day and expecting to be able to get a Big Mac whenever you want should be the news story, not that a family actually has stored enough food to get by for a few months. If you have a 20 mile commute only a total moron would leave work with only enough gas to get home without being able to get back to the gas station.

...Living day to day and expecting to be able to get a Big Mac whenever you want should be the news story...

I'm trying to figure out how to call non-preppers "Big Mac ers" in print. When you write "Big Macers" or "BigMacers" it looks more like someone with a huge can of bear spray. "BurgerKinger?" That just doesn't have the right sound to it.

They need to start putting pictures on the cans. From what I see here and elsewhere more people are becoming a little more illiterate every day, a steady decline in the ability to write and communicate ideas in an intelligent manner.

In response to the walmart freeze dried products, all I see are dried fruits and some sort of vegie based meat substitute. Hardly a decent diet. Dried foods, other than having a long shelf life, pose their own problem of having potable water to prepare them with. I'll pass, rather stock up on beans and rice and find a way to seal some up in #10 cans.

I think we live in a time where there is a prevalent "zeitgeist" that things might collapse. Many people who you would never normally expect to be worried about a collapse, are in fact worried. This is what has given rise to the market of preppers, firearms, etc that we have right now. Walmart is out to make a buck, plain and simple. Of course, I'd recommend buying from Costco if you can...they treat their employees much better!

Maybe this has showed up on the forum a time or two already, but here it goes just in case.

The "SHTF" entrpreneur side of me says stockpiling booze and cigarettes just isn't going to cut it. The "Mac Attackers" (I like that one) and their sodium-filled overweight little brood aren't going to be craving smokes and shots of tequila if things go down. Why oh why does this have to be a German product, and not readily available here. I'd buy a case of them if Costco sold them :s0114:

Cheeseburger in a Can is Here to Stay - Review at CheeseBurgerInACan.com!

(And I'll bet they look just like in the picture. Ya sure.)

I think we live in a time where there is a prevalent "zeitgeist" that things might collapse. Many people who you would never normally expect to be worried about a collapse, are in fact worried. This is what has given rise to the market of preppers, firearms, etc that we have right now. Walmart is out to make a buck, plain and simple. Of course, I'd recommend buying from Costco if you can...they treat their employees much better!

Many of the 'White Guilt' crowd have woken-up to what thier Mesiah really is. Obuma has yet to make one positive statement concerning the USA in 3 years but he has made 1000 negitive comments. Eric Holder has conspired to murder american heros and deny voting rights to whites. Clinton signed the UN small arms treaty. The economy of the western world is tanked. PPL, even sheeple are tuned into the zietgiest.

In response to the walmart freeze dried products, all I see are dried fruits and some sort of vegie based meat substitute. Hardly a decent diet. Dried foods, other than having a long shelf life, pose their own problem of having potable water to prepare them with. I'll pass, rather stock up on beans and rice and find a way to seal some up in #10 cans.

You dont need water for rice and beans?

You certainly do need water for beans, rice, lentils, etc. But I think most people think of "freeze-dried" differently than they do these "ordinary" foods that just happen to be dry when stored. Darn right ya need water. That's the MOST important item.

You can stockpile and when needed mix in either the commercial freeze dried water or do-it-yourself dehydrated water. The commercial stuff costs more of course, in either case, at least you are prepared.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top