JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone else here excited that grouse season will soon be here?
Getting up early and walking down an old logging road while watching and listening as the world wakes up is a wonderful feeling.
Eating lunch , enjoying the beautiful scenery , then walking thru till the early evening hours is very relaxing.

Grouse are easy to clean , don't take up to much room in the 'fridge or freezer and are very tasty.
Grouse hunting is also a great way to introduce someone to hunting.
You get to move around a fair bit , can practice stalking if you see 'em in the open and loads of excitement when they flush as they explode though the air ...
You also don't need a ton of extra or special gear.

If anyone here is planning going out this year , happy and safe hunting to you.
Andy

Edited for pre-coffee spelling.
One reason why I prefer upland to deer. Out here, you just went out in the woods, found some deep, dark, dank hole and sat there for hours waiting for the deer to come to you.
When you're 14, B-O-R-I-N-G!!!!
Bird hunting (we always just called it "bird hunting") meant you got to walk around, play with the dog and.....actually shoot the gun!!!! ( :eek:). I think I only popped off my brother's old Mauser once, but I got a lot of time shootin' those shotguns.
...dam, now I wanna go bird hunting....anyone got a dog? ;)

Dean

Last Edited:
I'd love to get some grouse this year. can anyone point me toward the right logging roads. I live in North Portland and can drive in 3 directions (not north, no Washington lic.) ??

Thanks ahead of time!

Anyone else here excited that grouse season will soon be here?
Getting up early and walking down an old logging road while watching and listening as the world wakes up is a wonderful feeling.
Eating lunch , enjoying the beautiful scenery , then walking thru till the early evening hours is very relaxing.

Grouse are easy to clean , don't take up to much room in the 'fridge or freezer and are very tasty.
Grouse hunting is also a great way to introduce someone to hunting.
You get to move around a fair bit , can practice stalking if you see 'em in the open and loads of excitement when they flush as they explode though the air ...
You also don't need a ton of extra or special gear.

If anyone here is planning going out this year , happy and safe hunting to you.
Andy

Edited for pre-coffee spelling.

I used to until they closed all the logging roads and started charging $200-plus just for a key for the season.:mad::mad::mad:

I'd love to get some grouse this year. can anyone point me toward the right logging roads. I live in North Portland and can drive in 3 directions (not north, no Washington lic.) ??

Thanks ahead of time!

just visit any National or State forest land and walk logging roads you will find them.

No this is from all the trash dumpers, meth heads and slob shooters that effed us ethical outdoorsman and women. Plus greedy corporate logging companies come to mind also.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:
no, my comment was in regards to the one where Wayerhouser charges $200 per person to access their land. Trash dumpers and slob shooters hurt us too but thats a separate subject because we can still access our lands. When we sell off our private lands, we no longer have access. Forever.

They are pretty easy out dress out in the field...
Place the bird head down on the ground...
Put your feet where the wings meet the body ..
Pull the grouse , by his feet upwards....Stop when the skin meets the neck... this keep the feathers and head attached.

Good luck to you Joe , this season ... I am glad you get to go out this year!
Andy
Andy, this method you describe is new to me.
I don't quite understand "Stop when the skin meets the neck"...isn't the neck covered in skin too?....?????

Dean

Or is it feeding the coyotes?:rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm still green, is there more meat then that worth saving?

I dont know Im not that good at grouse hunting. Last time I got one I didn't "breast" it I cleaned it (like a fish or any game), plucked it and got a lot of meat off the legs just like a chicken, the whole bird filled me up. It was super good over the campfire and had a lot to eat. It seems like breasting the bird wastes the wing, leg and thigh meat which goes against my principal for hunting to waste meat.

grouse.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads