JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here hunt grouse? I've got a Remington 870 Express 20ga w/28" barrel on the way for some upcoming grouse hunting down in the Riddle area. The 870 comes with a modified choke and I was wondering if that's the choke I need for grouse or an improved cylinder choke? Not experienced in shotgun anatomy.:D As always, thanks in advance!

Take your shotgun with chokes and various ammos to the range with a bunch of paper targets and test your spreads at various distances. From there figure out which spread works best for the distance you think you will be shooting bird at and you'll be set.

I have better guns for the occasion, they are pretty much stuck on improves cylinder (4 notches) that's my preference for nearly everything. but I seem to take the most amount grouse with my single shot 12 ga (fixed at full choke) because its my truck gun and always there when I need it. I like 7 1/2 and 8 for grouse but will it work for larger things if closer in. This is depending on what I can get on sale because I also use this for clays so buy it by the case.
# four for the real tough stuff, and slug for four legs all kept in a neat wrap on the stock.

Besides being usually very docile and scatterbrained, they are rather soft feathered making a couple # 8pellet hit many times quite fatal.
Be ready for a second shot, don't be surprised to find another one still standing there talking to his buddy laying on the ground like nothing happened. now you got dinner for you and the wife!
As far as chokes go, for me grouse are usually a lot closer than most others, like doves, ducks, turkeys and such so you can get by with most anyone of them. I like the full here so I can control collateral damage to meat. If you are looking for longer shots, Though I've never had to shoot a grouse beyond 25 yards, then you should definitely pattern your gun to see what each choke will (or will not) do and at different ranges. Before you pattern, pick the shot you plan on using and keep notes.
Picking chokes, for some, can be as contentious as any, "What's the best ___________" , conversational gun talk you can have.
Not so much for me.
As an aside, I buy white plastic throw away table cloth on a roll at what used to be Cash N Carry. (cant think what they are called now) its 48 or 50 " wide and dirt cheap giving good patterning skin quickly taped on and replaced to cardboard backing. you can pattern dozens of times before the cardboard shouts uncle.

My go to grouse gun is a Savage 17hmr with a 3-9 redfield. I refer to it as "head nipper".

When I feel the need to mix things up I go with my single shot .410 in full choke.

If I was using a 20gauge I would stick to modified choke myself.

I have better guns for the occasion, they are pretty much stuck on improves cylinder (4 notches) that's my preference for nearly everything. but I seem to take the most amount grouse with my single shot 12 ga (fixed at full choke) because its my truck gun and always there when I need it. I like 7 1/2 and 8 for grouse but will it work for larger things if closer in. This is depending on what I can get on sale because I also use this for clays so buy it by the case.
# four for the real tough stuff, and slug for four legs all kept in a neat wrap on the stock.

Besides being usually very docile and scatterbrained, they are rather soft feathered making a couple # 8pellet hit many times quite fatal.
Be ready for a second shot, don't be surprised to find another one still standing there talking to his buddy laying on the ground like nothing happened. now you got dinner for you and the wife!
As far as chokes go, for me grouse are usually a lot closer than most others, like doves, ducks, turkeys and such so you can get by with most anyone of them. I like the full here so I can control collateral damage to meat. If you are looking for longer shots, Though I've never had to shoot a grouse beyond 25 yards, then you should definitely pattern your gun to see what each choke will (or will not) do and at different ranges. Before you pattern, pick the shot you plan on using and keep notes.
Picking chokes, for some, can be as contentious as any, "What's the best ___________" , conversational gun talk you can have.
Not so much for me.
As an aside, I buy white plastic throw away table cloth on a roll at what used to be Cash N Carry. (cant think what they are called now) its 48 or 50 " wide and dirt cheap giving good patterning skin quickly taped on and replaced to cardboard backing. you can pattern dozens of times before the cardboard shouts uncle.

Last fall, I got 3 in the same spot...with a single shot 22. None of them flew, so I head-shot them all from about 10 feet. If they weren't 100 feet from the road, I'd swear they were WDFW decoys!

I have a 20 gauge 870 Magnum light weight Wingmaster for my Upland gun, I love it. If I'm hunting Chukars or Pheasant, I generally run my Improved cylinder Barrel. Excellent gun for birds. Size 6 or 7.5 shot.

I love to hunt grouse...
My favorites shotguns to use are :
A original Flintlock Fowler in 20 gauge with a cylinder bore...
My 870 Wingmaster from 1962 , its a 20 gauge with a Modified Choke...
And a 20 Gauge Winchester model 37 Circa 1950's...it has a full choke.
For shot I like 7.5 or 6's....

Choke matters...but what matters more is knowing just how and where your shotgun shoots , when you shoot it....

I also have used various .22 rifles and my .54 Hawken rifle.
Andy

If you are gunning ruffs, then probably 20-40 yards, Blues are in more wide open spaces, plan on 30-50 yards. Go get em.
I've never hunted Blues. I know some more energetic than I that have, so in listening to them, I can opine that they are not of the same disposition as the ruffs, with hats off to those who are successful even coming close to bagging a limit. I think they buy more boots than I also.

This is out of the latest wdfw game regulations,

Prohibited firearms/hunting methods
(WAC 220-414-020):
It is illegal to:
• Hunt game birds with a shotgun
capable of holding more than three
shells
• Hunt game birds with a rifle or pistol,
except forest grouse

Duhh ... perhaps a very dumb question since I am not sure ... is a grouse the same as a Chuckur? If so and if your dogs will hold a running point, then use your trusty family companions who sleep with the grandkids and also happen to be fully trained up German Shorthair Pointers. Consider a longer range. Yumm Yumm. :)

grouse are native here, chuckar are from Pakistan and India etc. Grouse generally live in the woods, chuckar like desolate canyons in arid areas. Think Afghanistan

Anyone here hunt grouse? I've got a Remington 870 Express 20ga w/28" barrel on the way for some upcoming grouse hunting down in the Riddle area. The 870 comes with a modified choke and I was wondering if that's the choke I need for grouse or an improved cylinder choke? Not experienced in shotgun anatomy.:D As always, thanks in advance!

I use a 12ga modified choke with #6 steel shot when grouse hunting.

I do just fine, have always hit what I aim at.

I imagine your going to do just fine with your shotguns modified choke.

Do some clay shooting to get use to it.

-P

Did you ever get to go Grouse hunting?
FWIW, Modified choke works just fine.
I actually favour it for all upland hunting.
Sounds like you got a nice little shooter to use, too.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads