JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be getting a Smith & Wesson 642 shortly after x-mas. I love wheel guns, but seem to have issues finding the right grips. The grips that come on it are not my cup of tea.

I'll be carrying it every day (sometines primary, sometimes BU) on my R side at 4 o'clock or IWB. I have LOOOOOOOONG fingers so the boot grip type won't work

I would LIKE a nice set of wood grips with checkering and finger grooves, but would accept a nice set of rubbers a lil bigger than what comes on it. Remember this will be my CCW, so I don't want to spend $100 on grips that will be put through heck. I'm looking for a middle ground. I also do not want a laser on my gun period.

Does anyone have a 642 with grips they like? Just looking for ideas at this point. Thanks!

ooh, and don't try to sway me from this gun! I've wanted a NIB S&W revolver since I shot my mom's Lady Smith as a kid.

You might consider these in wood. They are longer than the usual Spegel type boot grips (thay often come with the gun in the rubber version), and they give you that third finger purchase that can really make the difference in you ability to use the small J frame that the boot grips don't give you. The alloy frame 642 is really light, so having more to hold on to, consisent with a relatively small size, is a plus.

Hogue and Badger are among those that make some nice ones (so you can get the idea):

Kingwood - Violet to dark with deep figure : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

<broken link removed>

J frames are a very popular revolver and you can find all manner of used grips for J frames on ebay for quite a bit less than new if you search the site, once you get an idea of what you want.

Rubber will be a whole lot cheaper, and Pachmayr pretty much invented the rubber grip.

<broken link removed>

The ones with the "open" or exposed backstrap will be the most compact. The ones that entirely cover the backstrap will absorb quite a bit of recoil if you plan on using heavier loads. The thicker, heavier grips are very nice to have on a magnum revolver.

I know it's lame, but I want the gun to look good to me as well as be a reliable CCW. I don't really digg the pachmayr look for some reason. I do like some of the ones from bagder...... S-001-B would be sweet.... anyone have this style (desen't have to be that brand) ???

I've had a couple of J-frames and they had a grip profile that is pretty similar to the Laser Grip on my wife's 642. the grip extends below the frame and gives you a great handle to hang onto. I believe one of the sets was Uncle Mikes. (all of them were black "rubber")

If I was looking for a wood grip, I'd look at these.
<broken link removed>

I recently bought an 686+. Because I will use the gun as a "field gun" as opposed to concealed carry gun, I am buying a set of rubber Hogue grips. However, I really like the looks of these wood grips and may just change my mind!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads