JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What kind of humanities class was your wife taking?

Watching tv is kinda like drinking too much, it's fantastic while you're doing it, but personally I usually regret it later.

I've never seen duck d either, however from what I understand it's a bunch of people with more educational credentials than an MSNBC panel discussion convincing the audience they're just a bunch of dumb rednecks as they laugh all the way to the bank.

Frankly, I would rather watch something about particle physics... as long as it doesn't feature micheo kaku or niel degrasse tyson. One of these days, I will tear both of them apart in a cage match, which brings me to my gripe...

I get that quantum physics isn't for everyone, but if you're nominally a scientist (frankly, I consider that debatable for many celebrity-scientists) and you take a rather complex concept, and dumb it down repeatedly until it is some trite phrase that was the plot from a 1960's era sci-fi serial episode, it has lost all meaning.

Also, whoever named the Higgs Boson the "god particle" that guy is getting a rusty screwdriver right in both kidneys.

You might like this one then...

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/the-new-quantum-reality/

In principle, however, the pilot-wave theory is deterministic: The future evolves dynamically from the past, so that, if the exact state of all the particles in the universe were known at a given instant, their states at all future times could be calculated.

And if the universe is the result of a big bang involving one singularity, and it is finite, eventually collapsing upon itself once again, then time is a continuous loop, repeating itself forever. See you again in the next loop, folks.

I haven't been on this site for awhile. Busy working & fishing. I will keep it mellow...... Gripes...ok, I got one.
Posting on a thread, only to have it removed as I am hitting the post reply. Especially when it cuts into my fishing time. Freedom of speech? oh, I forgot, can't offend anyone! Let's do a throwback of the 1960's, and maybe we will only offend half the kids.

How about misinformation spread by ignorance.

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some peoples perspectives and facts are very, very skewed.

Spreading hate or anger at a stereotype or ethic group based on above said information.

Can't someone just please, think of the children!!!

You might like this one then...

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/the-new-quantum-reality/

And if the universe is the result of a big bang involving one singularity, and it is finite, eventually collapsing upon itself once again, then time is a continuous loop, repeating itself forever. See you again in the next loop, folks.

Is this one of those "new quantum reality same as old quantum reality yet totally ignoring the uncertainty principle" kinda things?

Most of the article seems to do nothing but dumb down the uncertainty principle again.

Btw, as much hay as people make about uncertainty, it's actually given by the following relation:

bbb1b74b511f868d0882a668de23c111.png

That is, the product of where a particle is likely to be, and what the particle's likely momentum is, will always be greater or equal to plank's constant divided by 2. For anyone who took more than basic math in school, this means as you more closely define one value, the possible values for the other quantity become larger.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just because people don't understand probabilities, and like to focus on the "possibility that the particle is now somewhere else in the universe" once it's momentum is determined. At the same time I feel the need to point out, that the other side of my desk is also considered "somewhere else in the universe", and also a few inches away also qualifies as somewhere else in the universe.

I think of all the things I've become disappointed with in life, and a major one is always non-scientific explanations of quantum physics. One of my favorites is the science fiction topic of parallel universes, where you could be sitting there, and your hair be a different color. In that somehow humans are deterministic or defining about a universe, when at the same time, somewhere in a different parallel universe an electron has a different momentum there than it does here because of an interaction with a neutrino.

Mind you, this is the community that likes to "reach consensus" in a manner that prescribes how other people should live. It makes me want to experiment with a baseball bat becoming quantum entangled with their grey matter.

Gripes:

Uneducated voters! People who vote for someone because "He looks nice" or "The commercial told me he was the better choice".

That Personal Finance and Taxes are not a required classes in high school. So many people could benefit from knowing how to manage money, understand debt, and file their taxes.

Poor debaters! When they feel they are losing the debate or the facts get in the way: They yell their point of view in hopes the increased volume will help their case, use personal attacks, play the race card, etc.

Gripes:

Uneducated voters! People who vote for someone because "He looks nice" or "The commercial told me he was the better choice".

That Personal Finance and Taxes are not a required classes in high school. So many people could benefit from knowing how to manage money, understand debt, and file their taxes.

Poor debaters! When they feel they are losing the debate or the facts get in the way: They yell their point of view in hopes the increased volume will help their case, use personal attacks, play the race card, etc.

+1 to all When I was in high school, Personal Finance was a requirement.

Regarding debaters - I enjoy debating folks, but I'm by no means a 'skilled' debater. Still, when people start resorting to name calling, yelling or just plain emotional arguments, I'm reminded of what I've been told over and over - if your opponent resorts to those things, they either know they're already lost the argument, or, they never had a decent footing for their position to begin with. Sometimes I can't help smiling a bit when people go off like that - of course, I can't help but push their buttons even more when that happens. It can make for a fun little show :p

Is this one of those "new quantum reality same as old quantum reality yet totally ignoring the uncertainty principle" kinda things?

Most of the article seems to do nothing but dumb down the uncertainty principle again.

Btw, as much hay as people make about uncertainty, it's actually given by the following relation:

View attachment 94665

That is, the product of where a particle is likely to be, and what the particle's likely momentum is, will always be greater or equal to plank's constant divided by 2. For anyone who took more than basic math in school, this means as you more closely define one value, the possible values for the other quantity become larger.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just because people don't understand probabilities, and like to focus on the "possibility that the particle is now somewhere else in the universe" once it's momentum is determined. At the same time I feel the need to point out, that the other side of my desk is also considered "somewhere else in the universe", and also a few inches away also qualifies as somewhere else in the universe.

I think of all the things I've become disappointed with in life, and a major one is always non-scientific explanations of quantum physics. One of my favorites is the science fiction topic of parallel universes, where you could be sitting there, and your hair be a different color. In that somehow humans are deterministic or defining about a universe, when at the same time, somewhere in a different parallel universe an electron has a different momentum there than it does here because of an interaction with a neutrino.

Mind you, this is the community that likes to "reach consensus" in a manner that prescribes ho w other people should live. It makes me want to experiment with a baseball bat becoming quantum entangled with their grey matter.

8359e27c727073f532f8ac5b443ea113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding debaters - I enjoy debating folks.....,

I STRONGLY dislike debaters, and everything about them (nothing personal etrain16).:(

Why "argue" about something, just for the sake of arguing, not really believing in what you are "debating"?

I could NEVER understand that concept.o_O

My neighbor loves to debate, all the while quoting Fox News talking points.o_O

I actually asked him to leave once.:rolleyes:

NOW, you wana' talk about today.....heading towards a car on a country 2 lane road, and the car keeps crossing the double yellow...comin' right at me......I'm ready to steer into the ditch, and then the 16-25 year old girl passes...texting or talking away:mad:

I STRONGLY dislike debaters, and everything about them (nothing personal etrain16).:(

Why "argue" about something, just for the sake of arguing, not really believing in what you are "debating"?

I actually asked him to leave once.:rolleyes:

When someone sits there and spouts something and has zero interest in listening to your point of view, it's not a debate, it's a sermon. I generally consider an honest exchange of facts, views, and argument to be a good thing. The problem is, it's a rarely practiced skill today. One of the better commentaries I've seen on the subject was idiocracy... specifically the court scene.

None taken ;)

I like to debate - I don't like to argue. And sometimes there is a fine line between the two. I suspect the 'debaters' you dislike are trying to disguise proselytizing with debate. Pushing your views on others hardly qualifies as debate.

I like to debate with folks that have differing opinions from mine - I find it very useful in learning more about what I believe, to be well informed on what the other side believes. I don't do 'formal' debates, just discussions with people of differing points of views. But, when it devolves into name calling, shouting or something to that effect, the debate is over :p

When someone sits there and spouts something and has zero interest in listening to your point of view, it's not a debate, it's a sermon. I generally consider an honest exchange of facts, views, and argument to be a good thing. The problem is, it's a rarely practiced skill today. One of the better commentaries I've seen on the subject was idiocracy... specifically the court scene.

I agree. I sometimes enjoy a good serious conversation with people that differ in beliefs more than those with people that just say "yep, I feel the same way" - that gets boring after a while. I particularly enjoy religious debates (I'm a practicing Christian, just FYI) as I find it requires me to be well informed on my own beliefs as well as those of others. Unfortunately, too many of those types of discussions degenerate into emotional arguments - too bad. I've got a co-worker that is a former Christian. We have some great discussions - never yet called each other a name - and no one has quoted Fox news :D

Last Edited:

View attachment 94665

Mind you, this is the community that likes to "reach consensus" in a manner that prescribes how other people should live. It makes me want to experiment with a baseball bat becoming quantum entangled with their grey matter.

Not sure, AMP, I'm just uncertain!

Getting stuck behind someone buying an energy drink, pack of gum or similarly cheap item using plastic (credit card, etc) and if that's not enough, them not knowing their PIN. Come on, what's so hard about carrying a little cash? Cash is king, cash is easy, cash is faster, cash is anonymous.

Mike

The "circlers" right in front of the gym or whatever.. they'll circle around in their auto (generally a Subaru or Rover) to be able to park it just front and center and then waddle their fat arse to the precious step machine or whatever. dick

One that just pisses me off is your in a store you clearly looking at something on a shelf there is plenty of room behind you for others to go behind But NOOOOO they gotta walk in front of you, OK no problem say excuse me. I'm totally good with that but when they say nothing that is sooo RUDE I speak up and say excuse me louder than normal most don't speak English but I hope they understand . they likely don't

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top