JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been wanting a more robust replacement for my old High Standard, and scored one of these recently. I knew going in that the grips were likely to be a bit skinny for my taste, and that they're an integral part of the grip frame. So now I'm wondering what mods folks have done to improve these? I suspect the take down lever complicates the issue, but any ideas, or better yet, pictures, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

Mark II. There once was marketed a grip sleeve for a Mark II 22/45. You might try to find one.

The Mark III 22/45 has a different grip frame design which allows for numerous after market grip options Acquiring a Mark III 22/44 might be a better option if you want to run with different grips and still shoot a 22/45 design.

If you do look for a mkIII 22/45, make sure it has the grip scales that are replaceable. I bought a used mkIII for that exact reason, and didn't realize the early mk III's didn't have replaceable grips...they just look like it in the pictures.

If I keep it, I'm thinking about just grinding off the grip, and putting nutserts in the frame so I can change them.

Two different grip frames and priced accordingly! That is why a hands on inspection is nice to do. Most sellers indicate whether the grip panels are replaceable or not when asked. The non replaceable grip panel frames make some really nice lightweight pistols when paired with a short barrel upper receiver.

Here's a fella that does a really nice job on modifying the Ruger Mark 22/45 grip frames with non-removable panels:

IIRC Kingshouse Customs went out of business several years ago. On one of the rimfire forums is a number of old threads. Yes, they did nice work but near the end it was taking forever to get your pistol back from them.

I have the tread inserts and the tooling to do mine, I just need one of the CNC guys to setup my mill so I can get the job done.

:cool:

I have an early model MKIII, that has the non replaceable hard plastic grip. A few years back, I found a guy on rimfirecentral.com that was making grips for them and sending instructions on how to install. I had to drill screw holes in the grip, but I am not selling the gun, and it worked out great. You could order any color you like and he would make them and ship them to you. If I remember correctly, total cost was less than $25

Pic is of my actual MKIII
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

ruger1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top