JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And people just stood around and watched a 78 year old man get his ear chewed off? Is this who we are as a society now?
In the Portland Reddit thread interesting discussion how passive and tolerant Portland residents are. Several
native New Yorkers posting that NYC would not put up with this. Poop on the sidewalk, shoot-up drugs no problem
in the Peoples Republic of Portland. Many posts about how the Max train has many sketchy homeless just riding
it around smoking meth, shooting drugs and yelling at anything or nothing. I would like to think many here
would of stepped in. Remember a couple years ago 3 people got stabbed trying to help a woman being harassed.

As a bystander, My opinion is not to help. You don't know what's going on and all you see is struggling, screaming and blood, do you want to get closer to see what's actually happening? The intial reports that he was stabbing the victim. at 2am in the morning and you do not want to confront an armed man and put your own life in danger. Just get away and call 911. Let the police handle it. It doesn't pay to be a hero.
Now, if you seen what happened from the beginning and if you know for sure the person is not using a weapon. Maybe, you could have help the victim.

I carry for myself and my loved ones. In Portland, if you use a firearm, the DA will charge you, likely for charges that exceed that of the attacker. The assailant or their family will sue you.

It's not worth it for me. I am not a hero. In my mind, the only other scenario that I would intervene is if there is a shooter at my kids school.

This is what the police is for. If you choose to be a victim, I'm not about to stick my neck out for someone else.

I carry for myself and my loved ones. In Portland, if you use a firearm, the DA will charge you, likely for charges that exceed that of the attacker. The assailant or their family will sue you.

It's not worth it for me. I am not a hero. In my mind, the only other scenario that I would intervene is if there is a shooter at my kids school.

This is what the police is for. If you choose to be a victim, I'm not about to stick my neck out for someone else.
Sadly any more I would be very leery of getting involved too. Really sad that this is what society has become but, people decided over and over again that this is what they want. So its up to people to be able to protect themselves.

I think every situation is different. Unless you were there it's hard to say even if you could tell what was going on. Have seen lots of homeless bs here including an attempted robbery with a knife last week (discussed in another thread).

IMO it can be pretty hard to sort things out unless you saw it unfold from the beginning, were close enough to see what was going on, etc. Some situations may be obvious whereas others can be hard to tell and sometimes it can even be the opposite of what you think (Fe apparent bad guy is actually the good guy -note that I'm not suggesting that is the case in this instance). This one may have been obvious to people there I don't know, hard to say unless you were there or maybe had video of it I think.

The problem is I've learned the hard way you're not just gonna jump in and referee things. if you're not willing to go 100% and possibly end the dude if need be then mind you own business.

I think every situation is different. Unless you were there it's hard to say even if you could tell what was going on. Have seen lots of homeless bs here including an attempted robbery with a knife last week (discussed in another thread).

IMO it can be pretty hard to sort things out unless you saw it unfold from the beginning, were close enough to see what was going on, etc. Some situations may be obvious whereas others can be hard to tell and sometimes it can even be the opposite of what you think (Fe apparent bad guy is actually the good guy -note that I'm not suggesting that is the case in this instance). This one may have been obvious to people there I don't know, hard to say unless you were there or maybe had video of it I think.
I'm sorry, but if I see it unfolding, my situational awareness will send me on my way. As Miagi says, "no be there".

I'm sorry, but if I see it unfolding, my situational awareness will send me on my way. As Miagi says, "no be there".
Depends on the situation. Everyone (hopefully) has their own rules on when to engage or not. For example mass shooter killing innocents. Someone harming/killing a helpless child.

I wonder what would attract this man to PDX from Georgia (where drugs are illegal)?

Mental health issues and drug abuse are chicken and egg arguments, but they go together like peas and carrots.

If a dog did this to a person what would the response be?

1ffoga.jpg

That's what drugs will do.

So, what were those people (perp, 78 year old man, bystanders) doing hanging around at 2:15 am on the platform of a train line that was not in service at the time?
Don't know about the 78 year old man, maybe can't sleep and went for a walk? Max platforms are covered and are notorious for assaults, robberies, drug transactions, shootings. Kinda of a hangout and meetup for criminals and homeless during and after train service.

In the Portland Reddit thread interesting discussion how passive and tolerant Portland residents are. Several
native New Yorkers posting that NYC would not put up with this. Poop on the sidewalk, shoot-up drugs no problem
in the Peoples Republic of Portland. Many posts about how the Max train has many sketchy homeless just riding
it around smoking meth, shooting drugs and yelling at anything or nothing. I would like to think many here
would of stepped in. Remember a couple years ago 3 people got stabbed trying to help a woman being harassed.
Those stabbings or slashings on the Max about five years ago is the reason that I would not help in any kind of assault. The victims didn't see the knife. I remembered scenes from John Wick 2 when he had knife fight in a train. You could hardly see the knives going back and forth in close combat. Most bystanders would think that they were just fighting.That's a good reason to not step in to help.

Nope, I could not walk away while a 78 yr old person is being violently attacked. That is not who I am.
While the attacker may be high on Meth, I'll be high on Kool-Aid.

HK_Koolaide.jpg

If you carry a firearm for defense of ones life or anothers life and opt to walk away in a situation like this.
Quit carrying. You will never use it.

This scumbag should have been relieved of his ability to breath oxygen.
Whether it be from a piece of hot lead or several steel toed kicks to the the taint and throat.

Anyone standing by and allowing the attack to continue are cowards.

For those that think a call to law enforcement will fix the situation dont understand that there is nearly no response in and around the city of potlandistan. We are on our own. Period.
911 calls often take up to 10 minutes or more to get a human being to answer.

How many of you folks shout the mantra "...when seconds count..."?

This is a seconds count situation and you just admitted your not the difference between life and possibly death for something you are witness to.

If you carry a firearm for defense of ones life or anothers life and opt to walk away in a situation like this.
Quit carrying. You will never use it.

This scumbag should have been relieved of his ability to breath oxygen.
Whether it be from a piece of hot lead or several steel toed kicks to the the taint and throat.

Anyone standing by and allowing the attack to continue are cowards.

For those that think a call to law enforcement will fix the situation dont understand that there is nearly no response in and around the city of potlandistan. We are on our own. Period.
911 calls often take up to 10 minutes or more to get a human being to answer.

How many of you folks shout the mantra "...when seconds count..."?

This is a seconds count situation and you just admitted you're not the difference between life and possibly death for something you are witness to.
Well if you see a zombie eating someone's face you pull your carry and brain them, for Christ sake people ain't no judge gonna put you away for that!
Besides if you did put me in jail and take my guns I would still sleep like a baby knowing I did the right thing!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top