JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd call that a success story!
I have one of my own!
Over 20 years ago We bought our house from a Witness family. Somewhere there must be a rule that says if a Witness once lived there the new occupants must be converted too!
We live in the country and very rarely get visitors we are not expecting. But from the start the witnesses would show up weekly! At first I was pleasant enough but firmly was not interested in converting. as time went on I just stopped answering the door!
This seemed to encourage them because they started sending several "Teams" each week! The younger ones were easy enough to send away. No I am not interested in converting, No, I am not interested in hearing the word of God! No I'm not interested in reading your flyer! And they would go away.
But the older folks were determined I was going to hear them out.
So one day our screen door was latched and either the TV or the Radio was on. and we hear them coming down our drive way. [ its about 100yds long and with the dogs barking you could not miss them! My wife says I'm going in the bedroom , You deal with them! So I was just going to ignore them. Three old guys shuffle up the walk and knock on the door. When they got no answer they just pounded louder! I was still ignoring them but the noise from the TV and the dogs barking seemed to make them think I just had not heard them. So they fan out accross the front porch one knocking on the door, one went to the dining room window, and the other to our bedroom window.
My wife was folding laundry and just as Old guy three pressed his face up to look in She sees him and lets out a scream that would make any slasher movie proud. Old guy sees a woman holding a towel and topples over backwards!
I come bouncing out on to the porch to see three old guys running for there car! And yelling that they did not see anything!
I go back in to see what happened to the wife. She says she was folding towels and looked up just as the old guys face appeared in the window and it startled her!
I call their hall or church [ they had left enough literature in the past with there phone numbers on it ] to talk to the old guys!
The person on the phone was already aware of what happened and was in full apology mode. She said all he saw was a woman in a towel! She said the old guys will never be back, She would put us on the local do not disturb list, and add our names to the national DND List!
We have not had another knock on our door since! If I had only known it was that easy! DR

They came to my door once. When I answered the door one said, Hi, my name is John. I responded in a deep raspy voice with Hello, I am Lucifer.
They left and must have black listed my house as no other JW's ever visited my house again.

They came to my door once. When I answered the door one said, Hi, my name is John. I responded with Hi, I am Lucifer.
They left and must have black listed my house as no other JW's ever visited my house again.
All you did was tell them, according to their own doctrine, that you are the brother of Jesus Christ. Not sure why they did not embrace you.

IBTL

They must have some "list" alright. Place I lived for years they kept coming by. One day when I was working nights, sleeping day, my bedroom window was on the front porch. I hear voices, knock, knock. I ignore it, keep knocking, can hear one female voice saying there must be someone home, so knock some more. Finally I get up, wearing just my briefs, and yank the door open. To oh did we wake you, could we sell you some god............... I said a few words that left no doubt they had woken me and that I was not happy and slammed the door. For years they avoided my house after that. :D

They came to our house once when we were levelling some land and building a couple retaining walls. They happened upon my brother-in-law, who was over to help, and when they saw us working, asked if we could use any help. He put the two young men to work hauling 40 pound blocks from the pallets they were on into the backyard. They did a lot of work that day (there were hundreds of blocks) that I am glad for, but I don't think we've seen one since and it's been over 12 years.

I have one of these to scare them away:
3ADC4507-3691-4471-B280-1FF0704DC5F6.jpeg

I "accuse" them of being Protestants. They hate that. I also advise that I will consider them when even one of their numerous "end times" prophesies comes true. Even one. Even partly.

My Grandfather would talk the bible to anyone that even slowed down a little and it was 80% of any conversation he had with anyone about anything. He read the bible every evening. In multiple versions clear back to the OLD German version he even had a friend of mine who learned Greek read some passages to him from the Greek version that came after the Latin. And he thought organized religion was the work of the devil.

I remember when I was about 11 or 12 a car load of witness's stopped at grandpas house. 6 hours later stuffed full of grandma's excellent coffee cake and Sanka he let them leave. They were visibly shaken up and confused. We used to joke that when coming from Salem to Silverton they would travel on the wrong side of the road to avoid getting to close to his house.

Grandpa even entertained one of Wernher von Braun's associates who came by to talk to him about the Bible. But as a 10 year old I was to interested in the coffee cake then the name of the man talking German to my grandfather who was a part of history. And I have never learned that mans name.

I guess the 400 foot driveway to the gate, and then the next 400 feet to the house after the gate, plus the 2 GSDs and the now closed gate behind them and being in an openly well armed part of the state is a sufficient deterrent to any sort of solicitors - altruistic or mercenary. Too bad - less entertainment.

My Grandfather would talk the bible to anyone that even slowed down a little and it was 80% of any conversation he had with anyone about anything. He read the bible every evening. In multiple versions clear back to the OLD German version he even had a friend of mine who learned Greek read some passages to him from the Greek version that came after the Latin. And he thought organized religion was the work of the devil.

I remember when I was about 11 or 12 a car load of witness's stopped at grandpas house. 6 hours later stuffed full of grandma's excellent coffee cake and Sanka he let them leave. They were visibly shaken up and confused. We used to joke that when coming from Salem to Silverton they would travel on the wrong side of the road to avoid getting to close to his house.

Grandpa even entertained one of Wernher von Braun's associates who came by to talk to him about the Bible. But as a 10 year old I was to interested in the coffee cake then the name of the man talking German to my grandfather who was a part of history. And I have never learned that mans name.
Your Grandpas sounds like mine. I would have loved to listen to him talk. Perhaps he was aware of the following as well as were most of the early reformers like Spurgeon, and those found in Foxes Book of Martyrs

Not about the jw's, but similar:
Wife is from Utah, and her family was practicing Mormon at one time, but no longer, and not for 25 years or so. She moved here maybe twelve years ago, and didn't change her driver's license to Oregon until we moved into the place we live now, maybe 2 years after she moved here. Inside of a week after she did, we had Mormons at our door asking about her and trying to get us to convert. They came by 2-3 times a week for about a month, didn't stop at any other apartments in the complex, until they got to talk to me.
About a week after that she got a letter saying she had been removed from their contact lists.

Summer of 1968 I was digging a narrow ditch in Alaskan permafrost with a pick, baby sledge and star drill. 2nd day at it, dirty and tired and in a ornery mood. Two JW's crouch down on either side of the ditch and start their spiel. I look up, get to my feet and tell the older one that 'when I get out of this ditch I'm going to bury this pick in your head.' By the time I crawled out of the ditch all I saw was ashwholes and elbows. Told the foreman a little later and was surprised he was mildly upset. He told me that JW's get extra points for heaven if they are persecuted, so that meant they'd be back to the work site again to earn more points. They did come back but he intercepted them, and I don't recall ever seeing them again.

When I was very young my mother was a devout JW. I remember getting drug to 'witness' meetings, study sessions, full on stadium conventions. Fortunately she 'defected' from the 'congregation' relatively early on.

I do recall getting into a convo with a JW one time about the constitution, rule of law, US Military etc. and it seems I recall the guy telling me 'they' do not believe in these things in general, including the US flag and only believe in the rule of 'God' or something like that - if i remember correctly - it was many years ago.

One sure way to end a convo with Jay Dubs - ask their opinion about dinosaurs or UFOs.

They won't be back.
One day in the early 1970's, a couple of JW's came down our long, rural driveway and knocked on the door. I was a young adult then, and opened the door to talk to them. They started their spiel, and and evil thought came to me. Beside the door, on a bookcase inside, I had placed a couple of books that I was going to return to a friend. They were "Chariots of the Gods" and his two follow-ups, where the author thought that ancient gods were really alien astronauts.

I reached over and picked up the books. I told the JW's that they were really on to something, but not just Jesus, but many other aliens had visited Earth and were treated as gods. I offered the books to them to take home and read.

They couldn't leave fast enough!

My other interaction with a JW was interesting, too. I was being checked out to pilot a Beechcraft Model 18, which is a 10-passenger twin-engine WWII-era airplane with two 450 HP radial engines. It was a hot summer day, and the aircraft wasn't performing well, especially when the check pilot was simulating engine failures on me. We were taking off toward a hill that was a couple of miles from the departure end of the runway, and the ground rose slightly at first, the gained elevation quickly as we got closer to the hill. Gary had simulated a failure of the left engine, and I would have to turn left to avoid the hill. Things were not going well, and I was not gaining altitude as fast as I should, and we had not quite gained enough speed to start climbing when we approached a house at a very low altitude.

As we went over the house, Gary looked down and saw someone running and jump into some bushes. There was also a cloud of white stuff hanging in the air. The had me go back to the airport and land so he could call the homeowner and apologize. Once on the phone, it kept ringing and ringing. Finally, a man answered, and Gary began to apologize. The man stopped him, saying that he was just the gardener, and he didn't mind the flyover, but the Jehovah Witness Lady "saw God." She was the one who jumped in the bushes, after throwing her papers in the air.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top