JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last time I was up in the Greenwater area, the lower gated hillside clearcut area was closed. I drove to the upper pit, and it was still open. I want to go up there again but don't want to find it's been closed. Is the upper quarry site with the concrete barriers, still open. Any rumors to it ever being closed?

I'm concerned because once they started closing areas along I-90, it wasn't long before the entire district was off-limits to shooting. That seems to be the method of operation. Close one, then close all the others later.

I do find the 1 year emergency closure along NF-70 to be a little puzzling. They closed it for 1 year, to see the results. According to what I read, they said "it didn't help". Doesn't that imply any problems neighbors were experiencing was NOT because of that shooting area? I mean, if it's closed, and there is no shooting, BUT the problems continue, they must be coming from elsewhere, don't you think?

The lower one is the first one you come to on the right. It had a gate. I think its closed for good now.

The one I'm wondering about now is the quarry pit further up the hill. That was open about a month ago. Not sure if there are plans to close it, hence my question.

Yeah the upper pit is closed if you're talking about the one I think you are. I'm not sure why they closed it. The sign says insufficient backstop.

The way the road winds up around the back of the pit always made me a bit nervous but I don't think I would have made the call to close it.

You are talking about the pits off of NF-70, correct?

Yeah the upper pit is closed if you're talking about the one I think you are. I'm not sure why they closed it. The sign says insufficient backstop.

The way the road winds up around the back of the pit always made me a bit nervous but I don't think I would have made the call to close it.

Yes. The lower they re-did 2-3 years ago as I recall. I never went to the upper as it was a bit sketchy.

Well that sicks if it's closed. it was open about a month ago.

But it does reinforce my belief that agsinst federal rules this blue state is attempting to close all shooting in National Forrests. The closed all of the Snoqualamie district and now the Mt Baker district.

I guess I'll have to drive up there and see for myself. It's getting harder to find outdoor shooting places.

Both the lower area and the upper pit have been closed in the past on occasion due to various factors (unsafe conditions, trash, ect).

Both are incredibly unsafe.

The lower area does not provide a clear firing line so I've seen people just standing around wherever they want.

The upper area has a clear firing line. However there are too many people out there acting unsafe. A longer version of this story is posted elsewhere on this site but long story short I was at the upper pit a few years ago and some Yahoos were in the forest off to my left and unwittingly shooting down at me.

Open or closed if you want a safe shooting area I'd steer clear of FS 72.

The Greenwater pit is way too popular and LEO's knows this. A lot of shady people go up there and I have heard rumors from people with ties to LEO's that they have trail cams set up to check out the activity up here. I like to go where nobody else goes. Do my shooting and get the hell out ASAP.

The safety deans appear to be upset by the shooting pits being unsafe. I'm not entirely sure we're speaking about the same areas. The only way a place can be unsafe to shoot is if there isn't a backstop. Missing a clear firing line isn't a requirement. As a capable adult, I expect myself, and others, to understand going in front of the muzzle is a bad idea. No regulations needed.

Police trail camming that area is really big brotherish and makes me glad I never shoot there.

I like to drive further into the forest to find your own spot with a suitable backstop. There are plenty of shooting pits that are just fine all through those roads, trash aside.

Take out more than you put in.

Well, this suck. I am not used to having to pay to shoot. In Pa, the Game Commission supports your shooting habit; your hunting permit is your range permit and there are several to shoot at. Here in WA, memberships to shooting ranges are very pricey - I think about the money i would have to spend just to initiate the application and then the subsequent fees thereafter, that could have been useful ammo money. And now FS 70 is closed in Greenwater, DANG IT!!!!!!!! I did not find it to be unsafe at all.

Well, this suck. I am not used to having to pay to shoot. In Pa, the Game Commission supports your shooting habit; your hunting permit is your range permit and there are several to shoot at. Here in WA, memberships to shooting ranges are very pricey - I think about the money i would have to spend just to initiate the application and then the subsequent fees thereafter, that could have been useful ammo money. And now FS 70 is closed in Greenwater, DANG IT!!!!!!!! I did not find it to be unsafe at all.

There are several shooting spots above Wilkeson and Carbonato. You just need to go find the roads.

@trevi

This thread has a map at the top of it.

Drive to NF70 and head up until the pavement stops. Keep going, lots of forest roads and the shooting spots are scattered about.

There is also some decent shooting spots on NF-7030.

The Wilkeson spots are well used and more trashed. Roads are worse up there too. Need a high clearance vehicle.

Google maps has both of these roads on it.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top