JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my brother came into town last week and we went to English pit up in Vancouver. Their rules are ridiculous but that is not the point of this story. Anyway I picked up an AR15 and I needed some ammo so I ordered some from my local gun store. I was in such a hurry that day that I didn't even look at the ammo till I got home that evening.

Once I realized they were green tips I thought Damn they screwed up! I doubt there is an ammo return policy so I didn't even bother with that headache. So I was left with 140 rounds of M855 green tips and I had actually ordered the 55 grain. Called the range up asked if I could use it they said they don't like green tips but if you are careful its fine.

They shot great but my sole purpose of buying the ammo was to shoot on steel targets M855 is a no go on steel. I still had a great time I ordered more ammo. Pickup it up today but same problem. This time I let them know hey I ordered the m193 not M855 so it took them a few minutes before they found a whole unopened box of the M193. I got the right ammo finally but super easy to screw up given the packaging.

C205129E-4A23-41BE-8701-DB048B127DDE.jpeg 28F3F036-85DA-4A24-BBE1-702207F34734.jpeg

Hey I'm not complaint they actually cost $1 more a box for M855. So they actually lost money oh
well šŸ˜…
I was gonna say.... that's when you shut up about it and say, "I changed my mind. Make it 5 cases." (then stop off at Bi-Mart on your way to the range for some M193's)

:s0090:

When you have hamburger flippers selling rocket parts, the burden really is on the back of the purchaser to make sure there really is ketchup in that bag before you drive away.
For the most part, looong gone, and I fear never to return, is the knowledgeable customer service person. Even the manager at the meat counter could not tell me the difference between shrimp and prawns, worse, cannot cut an even slice of meat if his life depended on it. No mater how marbled, I'm not buying a ribeye 1 1/2" on one end, and 3/4" on the other :confused: .
I feel your pain @peteNW503, rant over.

It says it on the boxā€¦.. that's Oregon public schools for you.

It gets back to the confusion thing. You say m-855 and a lot of people say ARMOR PIERCING.
I'm sure most of us know the difference here, but that has become a tool for jacking up the price at gun shows and for the Dems.
Remember "Cop Killer" bullets ? Started in California by Pelosi Feinstein Boxer..can't remember, one of the rocket scientists. Was thrown at hollow point bullets, Black Talons, anywhere it might stick. Recently it was thrown at surplus Lake City ammo.

@thorborg ....

Don't get me started on the 15-20 $ an hour burger flippers. You can't even find a joint open late night now..they still want to be at home where momie flips the bill.

So my brother came into town last week and we went to English pit up in Vancouver. Their rules are ridiculous but that is not the point of this story. Anyway I picked up an AR15 and I needed some ammo so I ordered some from my local gun store. I was in such a hurry that day that I didn't even look at the ammo till I got home that evening.

Once I realized they were green tips I thought Damn they screwed up! I doubt there is an ammo return policy so I didn't even bother with that headache. So I was left with 140 rounds of M855 green tips and I had actually ordered the 55 grain. Called the range up asked if I could use it they said they don't like green tips but if you are careful its fine.

They shot great but my sole purpose of buying the ammo was to shoot on steel targets M855 is a no go on steel. I still had a great time I ordered more ammo. Pickup it up today but same problem. This time I let them know hey I ordered the m193 not M855 so it took them a few minutes before they found a whole unopened box of the M193. I got the right ammo finally but super easy to screw up given the packaging.

View attachment 1252178 View attachment 1252179
Outdoor range like English pit with a dirt bank would be OK, but as you said, no steel. But usually they are a no-can-do at in indoor range because the tips tear up the backstop material. Plus the dividers are ballistic so an errant shot could be a problem. So its easier to just say no M855s on the range.

Hey, these flunkies got the correct cartridge correct, isn't that enough? LOL, the packaging is very similar but looking forward, could be problematic. What if that company also makes 300Blk with the same packaging? It would fit into the mag, chamber, and detonate.

I also bought a case of AMA Denex 5.56mm M855 Ammo 62 Grain rounds as well and the big difference is that they are not painted green on the tips. The Federal XM855, IMI M855, and the XTac 62gr are all painted green. I guess that is for safety reasons since they all make M193 rounds as well.

Questions is, will green tip blow holes in steel at 100 yds? I have whatever the thin cut AR500 plates. I can shoot at 80yds with 55gr. I got a little closer one day and it shot thru like butter. The GT is a little slower. I've never shot it on steel.

Questions is, will green tip blow holes in steel at 100 yds? I have whatever the thin cut AR500 plates. I can shoot at 80yds with 55gr. I got a little closer one day and it shot thru like butter. The GT is a little slower. I've never shot it on steel.
If 193 will go through it, so will GT. Without knowing how thick your plates are it's difficult to say at what yardage it would be safe to shoot without penetration, but obviously, the best option would be to use plate thickness rated for GT. Even then... say with 1/2" plate... at shorter ranges (100yds) your still going to get some minor plate surface damage. Not a real big deal, but just to be aware.

Setting your plates to have a slight downward face angle can help reduce damage. Not a bad idea at any time really... to deflect fragments groundward.

Why not order it directly to yourself? The mark up on having a gun shop order ammo vs. sending it to yourself....
About the only time I buy ammo locally is if I'm already in the store for something else and the price is reasonable.
Most places have free shipping when you buy more than a few boxes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top