JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This one bum on the street corner that I get all my information from isn't there right now so there's no way of finding out.
Fingers crossed he comes back.

It was designed to pierce light barriers including steel helmets. It has a small amount of steel at the tip in order to do that. A lot of ranges won't allow it because of that. Also it can chip steel targets which creates shrapnel back to the shooter. Good ammo though.

Last Edited:
It was designed to pierce light barriers including steel helmets. It has a small amount of steel at the tip in order to do that. A lot of ranges won't allow it because of that. Also it can create steel targets which creates shrapnel back to the shooter. Good ammo though.
Thanks, and I really want a trunkmonkey!

I used the LC Federal 62gr LAP for taking a class and it shot just fine. It was my first experience shooting them. Not sure what kind of accuracy since we didn't do any 50 or 100 yard training.

"green tip" is shorthand for M855 5.56 62 gr NATO ammo. Some, not all, factories paint this ammo with a green tip to distinguish it from M193 55 gr ammo that looks the same from the outside.

It's supposedly less accurate than M193 because of the imprecise placement of the steel core, which can cause the weight to be distributed unevenly, which in turn disrupts bullet rotation and flight path.

That's the theory anyway. I've always found it to be accurate enough for general purpose ammo. It was all we used in the USMC between 2005 and 2009, and it was good enough to hold 12-inch groups at 500 yards when fired through beat-to-hell-and-back M16A2/4s.

M855 used to be inexpensive military surplus ammo. Folks shooting iron sights liked it because at 62 grains, it bucked the wind better than M193, which weighs 55 grains. You could shoot better groups with it at medium/long distance. Then Obama tried to ban it because LAP sounds scary. Claimed he was protecting our police. I'm unaware of anyone ever being shot with the stuff (here, not in war), and frankly all but the very weakest of rifle rounds will penetrate most police body armor. Thankfully, he didn't manage to get it banned, but it pushed the price up and it's never really come back down.

Last Edited:
The 5.56mm M855 has a green bullet tip and is used by the U.S. military as its standard small arms round...

Adopted by NATO in 1980, the new load has a spitzer boat-tail bullet. It also has much-improved penetration characteristics over the old M193 55-grain projectile at all ranges, resulting in higher retained velocity and greater accuracy at long range. The 5.56mm M855 is ideal for use in the M16A2 and M4 rifles, and the M249 machine gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top