JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
news, just went up past verlot today. I was going to this area by red bridge, a road called mallardy ridge road. looked like a great long road with no campgrounds around. got to the beginning of it, and sure enough a sign saying specifically "no shooting this area" or no shooting this road" so I went back to green mountain. ok, I think this is the only area at all left. I drove for 13 miles on the old pothole filled roads. strangely enough, right at the beginning of the road within a few miles of some residences, is a shooting pit. there were people there shooting, but for me even though it's up against a sand berm I don't feel comfortable shooting that close to peoples houses. they must hear gunshots a lot. so, I drive and drive and drive and finally found a place where I used to go, but now there are cement blocks painted yellow that say No shooting, no camping, private property" but there were like 4 trucks there and the place is full of shells. oh, and before that I found one area that was full of computer monitors and garbage shot up. but no real bank to shoot against and it was right along the road. I can't believe that people were even shooting back towards the road. I mean it was down low below the main road but still.

so I drove to about 13 miles and found a nice place, big sand hill and lots of range to shoot a hand gun. but before that, 13 miles from the nearest house, I get a flat tire! I had a spare but no jack in my car. I stopped some people and they had a jack, but there tire iron would not fit my lug nuts. but they told me an old man(82!) was just up the road camping. So I drove very slowly on my flat tire about half a mile and found the old guy up there just in his trailer with his generator running and a direct tv satelight dish. just him and his cat. right along the main road. so he had a jack from like 1952 and an old rusty tire iron that fit my lug nuts. but it was a huge struggle to change the tire.

good spot to shoot. as I was finished up, a few young kids showed up that wanted to shoot also. I had a small orange football tee set up about 75-80 feet away up on the sand bank. so I told the kid, one last shot, I want to hit that tee. went up there and in one shot hit it from quite a distance. now my eyesight sucks but I seem to have the knack. he just went "that was amazing!" then his friends show up and out from his truck comes the most beautiful amazing east indian girl, probably like 20 years old. amazing. but I shot like 50 rounds or so. I wish she would have seen that last shot. this SR9-c ruger is a great gun. too much fun

this was an area about as far as one can drive up green mountain, 13 miles from the main road. but there were lots of people up there on a sunday. one spot, was kinda cool, right by an old bridge over a large creek. some people were there bbq'ing with a big bbq, and camping by the river, and they were shooting.

I forgot to add, she had some great painted on jeans too. last thing you would expect up on redneck mountain! I had one old truck practically run me off the road, he would not even move over slightly. this area is so close, and yet so far. i'ts close to granite falls, but if you are 13 miles down a dirt road with a flat tire, well I didn't like that too much. funny thing is this 82 year old gent, had this loud generator going constantly, and he just had to have this extreemely quiet, mumbling old man voice. I could barely hear a thing he said. he kept giving me advice on how to jack up the car enough with his ancient jack, but I couldn't hear him over this stupid generator roaring away and his weak voice. but he sure helped me out. I felt bad since all I had was $5 on me so I gave him that and a case of pop. he seemed to appreciate it. who would think an 82 year old man with his cat up there with a direct tv satellite dish?

one thing about getting old, young kids just pay no atttention to you. it's like you don't even exist you are so old. I told this kid I was almost finsihed with my shooting and he and his friends could have the pit. and he just shrugged and said "whatever". then when his friends pulled up, here I am, a guy they don't know, with a gun in my hand, and they just ignore me like I'm about as significant as a stump.

one thing about getting old, young kids just pay no atttention to you. it's like you don't even exist you are so old. I told this kid I was almost finsihed with my shooting and he and his friends could have the pit. and he just shrugged and said "whatever". then when his friends pulled up, here I am, a guy they don't know, with a gun in my hand, and they just ignore me like I'm about as significant as a stump.

Welcome to old age brother, we've been waiting for you. :winkkiss:

-d

Not quite sure what 13 mile stretch your talking about but if you could draw it on a map, or general location on a map, I could probably look up the ownership. I believe most of it is a big mix of Dept Natural Resources and Private lands:s0155:.

on my washington atlas and gazetteer it's forest service road 41, it branches off to 4110 but I' stayed on 41 all the way up to tupso pass. near this road the map says meadow mountain. I also drove to the end of 4111 and at the very end of that road looked like a place you could shoot. now on the way up road 41 as I said there were these concrete blocks painted yellow saying private property no shooting, but further on, no signs saying this. the nice area by the road was almost to the end of the road. I used my odometer to measure the distance. 13 miles from the entrance to green mountain area. if you get one of those trail maps of this area it will show all these roads like my gazetteer shows. it even shows dirt roads. a lot of branches off the main 41 road were gated and blocked. on 4110 was the area I first saw that was full of junk right by the road with no real sand bank to shoot against. I"ll try to describe it. the main road off the highway is 41, then that road after a short distance comes to a split. you either go onto 4110 or go up and keep on 41. thats what I did. but if you go on 4110 it comes to another split which you can split off up and continue on 4110 or keep going straight onto 4111 which is the long road to the end where there is a place to shoot.

I have not drove up on 4110 yet.

but I kept on 41 where i found the one place with all the cars there that was marked private no shooting, drove past that another 6 miles or so until I found the pit I shot at which is near the end of 41, 13 miles in.
go to big 5 or REI and get those trail maps that show these roads. I'ts possible that the area I went to is private property but there were no signs at all posted.

also at the very beginning of this road right off the highway there is a big board with postings on it. and it says nothing about no shooting. just a sign that says no shooting within such and such distance of residences, etc. so I think if there are no private property signs and no shooting signs and you find a pit, it's ok. but it really seems like this is the last place to go. further up on the mountain loop highway, I don't know. I've driven that road many many times but I only recently started shooting so I don't remember if there are any places to shoot along that strech between barlow pass monty cristo and darrington.

I was driving my alfa today along homeacres road and the ebey slough and saw a sign 'everett sportsman club" and drove out there. it was closed due to flooding but it looked like a very nice outdoor shooting range. open to the public for $15 for half a day from noon till 5pm open on friday, sat and sunday. it's just out in the middle of nowhere with all the cows. a very quiet place. they have a website everettsportsmenclub.org

this looked like a neat place to shoot and you would not have to drive a long ways on dirt roads full of potholes risking flat tires to get there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top