JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What say you guys about this?

Green Lake open carry incident Sunday stirring debate

A Sunday morning incident at Seattle’s Green Lake involving an open carry activist and Seattle police is now escalating on the Open Carry forum with suggestions to take legal action against an unidentified woman who made the initial 911 call to police.

<broken link removed>

I guess I think that all that should have been done, has been done. The PD responded to a call, they checked it out, explained (apparently) to the caller it was within the OC'ers rights to OC, and everyone had a good outcome. Pursuing legal components beyond the outcome seems over the top, to me.

I would not pursue action against the police or the woman who called 911. However, the 911 operator who took the call needs training. Not every "man with a gun" call to 911 requires a response if the "man with a gun" is clearly not threatening anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was salmon fishing at Buoy 10 this last Saturday with a guide. Had two friends with me and there was a couple from Seattle that had also booked. I was carrying my SP101 OWB, but it was concealed under my sweatshirt for most of the early morning. Around 11 AM it was starting to get hot so I took my sweatshirt off. My guide has a CHL and he carries all the time, but not open in the boat.

Well, I called him last night to book another trip this weekend and he asked me if I would mind just keeping the gun in my fanny or back pack. I could tell he was a little nervous making the request, but I guess the libtards from Seattle freaked out that I had a gun. I didn't give him any grief because he's just trying to make a living and he can't afford to have clients get offended. I know the guy pretty well and he asked me what I would have said if he had said I couldn't even bring a gun on the boat concealed. I told him I would have said "Your boat, your rules.", but I also told him I would have then told him to go **** himself and never booked with him again. He just laughed and said "OK, I hear ya.".

Here in Vancouver they had an open carry booth at a local park about two blocks from The Columbians office during the Farmers Market. The Columbian was sent a press release about it in advance. They never showed up to report about it nor even mentioned it in the paper. When I contacted them they claimed they would do a story if someone could furnish pictures, but nothing else was done.

When you live and play near idiots expect idiotic behavior. Can't say what happened on the call but I would agree training for the 911 operator is a good first step.

I looked at some of the "training documents" that were linked to Dave's article. Some said to treat it as an "open carry incident", others said to treat it as an "unlawful display of a weapon" right from the start. So it seems that even though open carry is legal certain dept's are being told to start as illegal.
I also see that some call it a "privilege" to carry a weapon, since when is a right enumerated by the Constitution a "privilege"?

Well, here's a follow-up that probably raises more questions than it answers, but one can now contrast both versions...the original comments of the armed citizen, and that of the incident report, which I transcribed from a pdf.

No mention of drawn gun in Green lake incident report

<broken link removed>

I looked at some of the "training documents" that were linked to Dave's article. Some said to treat it as an "open carry incident", others said to treat it as an "unlawful display of a weapon" right from the start. So it seems that even though open carry is legal certain dept's are being told to start as illegal.
I also see that some call it a "privilege" to carry a weapon, since when is a right enumerated by the Constitution a "privilege"?

Enough elected officials and government agents have treated enough amendments as negotiable or undesirable, I'm waiting for one to slip up and reference the Bill of Privileges.

Shamelessly crossposted from one of my posts at DefensiveCarry...

From the description of the article, it seems to me the dispatcher is at fault here, really. The caller didn't realize that what the fellow is doing here was legal, but it's not up to your average citizen to have the entire legal code memorized. But the dispatcher should have handled this without calling for LE response:

* 911 what's your emergency?

- There's a man with a gun at Green Lake.

* Is he threatening anyone?

- No, he appears to be walking with a woman, talking.

* Is the weapon in his hand?

- No, it's on his belt.

* Is he behaving in a threatening manner?

- No, just walking and talking.

* Thank you for calling, if he's not threatening anyone or behaving erratically, there's no law being broken or any threat to public safety, he's okay.

- Oh, you mean it's legal to carry a gun around on your hip?

* Yes ma'am, as per state law, there's no prohibition against it.

- Oh, okay, thanks. Bye.

To all those Oregonians that think nothing happened at Green Lake, you guys are sick.

You must enjoy the idea of having a gun pointed at your head for doing nothing illegal at all. Next time you wear a hat, do you wnat the cops to prone you out and then remove it? A holstered gun in WA is legally no different than any other article you have or carry on your person.

The City Of Seattle has a new policy that, if followed, would have prevented this. However, they have officers that do not follow their own policy, they like to make their own law. They need a little reminding, in their pocket book, you don't take an OC (or CC for that matter) at gun point FOR NOT REASON AT ALL!

The City of Seattle does not want any firearms in their parks. They even passed a law that siad so, which was immeadiatly overturned and made null and void by the courts, but they still try to enforce it. Is that the kind of stuff you put up with in Portland? Is that what Portland still has their stupid unloaded carry law on the books?

You must enjoy the idea of having a gun pointed at your head for doing nothing illegal

Who had a gun pointed at their head? He may have a pointed gun, or a pointed head, and there might have been a head pointed at a gun, but I read nothing in the account by JSanchez that said "gun pointed at his head".
No need to twist things around, or maybe you just need a remedial reading lesson.

Open carry activists planning Green Lake response(s) this weekend

Alarmed by an encounter involving a longtime open carry activist and Seattle police at Green Lake last weekend, supporters of the open carry movement are planning to visit Green Lake Saturday around noon, and others tell this column they may take a walk around Green Lake on Sunday.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top