Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

GREEN COFFEE BEANS

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Sgt Nambu, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Back around the turn of the year we had much discussion about storing coffee. I have noticed that Costco online is carrying green, unroasted Arabica coffee in sealed #10 cans. Cans are 3.75 lbs/6 per case. Remember roasting coffee beans stink like a dead pig!
    Oh yeah, $89 per case.

Also, I have received my CHL from WA. 39 Days, not too bad!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    salmonriverjohn likes this.
  2. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

39 days is an excellent turn around time! Thats one I still need to get done. Now if only Oregon counties could get their stuff together and do their part to help their SHALL ISSUE residents.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I like my coffee... but I would be lost without my tea. Also, my buddy's shop is right next to a coffee roaster, I've never noticed the roasting odor to be as bad as you describe, however I think the bigger issue is how to actually roast beans is something of a rare art.

As far as CPL's mine needs to be re-upped in november, should probably get ready to cut that check.

4. Qjay

Qjay Vancouver, not BC, Washington, not DC Active Member

Roasting the beans is easy! :D

Go until they make a "pop!" noise. For light roast, stop when the popping slows down, for dark roast, go until several minutes elapse after the last "pop!".

Ok, "easy" might be an exaggeration, but the process is not that hard.

5. Sgt Nambu

AMP, that roaster probably has a scrubber in its exhaust. Try roasting in a cast iron pan on your grills burner or whatever you have and I think you will notice the smell......from a distance too!

6. maxisback

maxisback Western Washington Member

I've never noticed any horrid smell when roasting my beans. I roast in a stainless frying pan, on the stove top. Rest overnight, grind in the morning. Ahhh....o_O

7. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

When it comes to coffee, most are far to civilized. Black, strong and in a deep cup, hopefully cooked over an open fire around Elk camp.

SIG383, Sgt Nambu and Qjay like this.
  8. Sgt Nambu

My bad! I just enjoy hyperbole! I should have written, a strong and easily detected odor. Point being it could give away your location.

9. SIG383

SIG383 Graham, WA Well-Known Member

I'm thinking I am going to try my hand at roasting my own coffee when I return. I just really like the idea of being as self sufficient as possible.