JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It has been a while since I purchased my last firearm, so I was wondering if any US Green Card holder in here recently purchased a bolt action rifle in WA, and if so how long it took for the background check to clear? I am an US Green Card holder (legal permanent resident) and last time I got a bolt action rifle it took 4-5 days for my background check to clear. I am tempting to buy a bolt action rifle from a forum member, so I was wondering what is an usual wait time these days. For those who are not well informer, I just want to mention that for US legal resident, but not citizens, background check is almost always put on pending in order to confirm the person's legal immigration status, and that is something that needs to be sent from the US immigration services, and as every other bureaucracy they are as fast as a turtle.

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle

does anyone know the turn around time for a US legal resident but not citizen?
I talked to a co-worker originally from Poland (she is a Green Card holder and not citizen) who got a bolt action rifle and she told me she waited 10 days for her background check to come back. She got the rifle here in Seattle at Outdoor Emporium.

I just want to mention that for US legal resident, but not citizens, background check is almost always put on pending in order to confirm the person's legal immigration status, and that is something that needs to be sent from the US immigration services, and as every other bureaucracy they are as fast as a turtle.
I can't say from recent experience. But about three years ago, I sold a Swiss K31 to a Chinese student. Up until that time, I didn't even know non-citizens could buy guns here. When we did that transfer at an FFL, they called in the NICS check and he walked out the door with the rifle shortly thereafter. But things have likely changed since then. Do foreign students get Green Cards? He had a bunch of paperwork all properly signed but I don't know what it was. I asked him if he could take it back to China when he was done with school here, he said no way.

I'm glad that all went smoothly at the time. I now feel kind of stupid that I didn't even think about selling it to a Chinese citizen and that it might've gotten nixed for that reason, thus being a waste of time and gasoline. But I was a lucky fool that day.

I can't say from recent experience. But about three years ago, I sold a Swiss K31 to a Chinese student. Up until that time, I didn't even know non-citizens could buy guns here. When we did that transfer at an FFL, they called in the NICS check and he walked out the door with the rifle shortly thereafter. But things have likely changed since then. Do foreign students get Green Cards? He had a bunch of paperwork all properly signed but I don't know what it was. I asked him if he could take it back to China when he was done with school here, he said no way.

I'm glad that all went smoothly at the time. I now feel kind of stupid that I didn't even think about selling it to a Chinese citizen and that it might've gotten nixed for that reason, thus being a waste of time and gasoline. But I was a lucky fool that day.
One think that I know is that here in Seattle legal immigrants have higher gun ownership than US citizens. I work at the UW and almost anyone that I know owns guns is non-US born.

i have co-worked who is a resident alien (oregon) he wants to purchase a Christensen Arms bolt gun at sportsmens in Vancouver\, because of the Oregon (OSP) making things take so long. sounds like it would be less of a wait crossing the river.

It has been a while since I purchased my last firearm, so I was wondering if any US Green Card holder in here recently purchased a bolt action rifle in WA, and if so how long it took for the background check to clear? I am an US Green Card holder (legal permanent resident) and last time I got a bolt action rifle it took 4-5 days for my background check to clear. I am tempting to buy a bolt action rifle from a forum member, so I was wondering what is an usual wait time these days. For those who are not well informer, I just want to mention that for US legal resident, but not citizens, background check is almost always put on pending in order to confirm the person's legal immigration status, and that is something that needs to be sent from the US immigration services, and as every other bureaucracy they are as fast as a turtle.

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle
Hello Dan.

When did you know you were eligible to buy a gun? I have a work colleague who is looking to buy a gun. He has a greencard and is employed and married to a US citizen.

Thanks.

Hello Dan.

When did you know you were eligible to buy a gun? I have a work colleague who is looking to buy a gun. He has a greencard and is employed and married to a US citizen.

Thanks.
Any green card holder with clean record (no legal issues) can legally buy a gun following the same procedure as any US citizen. I purchased my first gun 3 days after receiving my green card about 10 years ago. All your friend needs to do is to bring his green card with him and fill out all the paperwork and wait until his background check comes back clean (I think now there is 10 day waiting period after the background comes back clean). Lately I am not buying any guns since I got al I need and also some other activities now have a bigger priority in my life. I still hit a range 3-4 times a months.

Any green card holder with clean record (no legal issues) can legally buy a gun following the same procedure as any US citizen. I purchased my first gun 3 days after receiving my green card about 10 years ago. All your friend needs to do is to bring his green card with him and fill out all the paperwork and wait until his background check comes back clean (I think now there is 10 day waiting period after the background comes back clean). Lately I am not buying any guns since I got al I need and also some other activities now have a bigger priority in my life. I still hit a range 3-4 times a months.
Many thanks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads