JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guy did an excellent job on this video imo. I was looking for a machine method for reprofiling and came across the $140ish wen sharpener. This video helped a lot in learning about it. Not sure I'll buy one but I know I won't be buying a big $ Tormek for the small number of knives I have.

Please let me know if you have any other fast methods you like for reprofiling. I looked at work sharp but am confused by it and some things I don't think I like about it based on what I see (have never used).

Cheers!

Also FYI there is another video where a different guy used a harbor freight $4 stone to regrade the stone instead of the more expensive Tormek one and results were pretty much the same.

Work sharp=garbage. It's basically a belt sander with a very loose belt, it doesn't really make for a good knife sharpener.
A real 4" belt sander would work better, if you have a lot of blades that need their bevel re-established. Maybe 220g belt and finish up with a good hone.

Work sharp=garbage. It's basically a belt sander with a very loose belt, it doesn't really make for a good knife sharpener.
A real 4" belt sander would work better, if you have a lot of blades that need their bevel re-established. Maybe 220g belt and finish up with a good hone.
I was thinking pretty much the same things exactly. Seems really simple, have the right grit, the right angle, and don't over due it as far as reprofiling.

The reason tormek clone machines came up is becaus I was looking at the various worksharp options (none of which I liked) and their cost. Ken onion worksharp version with blade guide is over $200 I think and even then there are many things I don't like about the design (but to be fair I have never used one so I'm just guessing based on the design). And reviews I read and sale ads almost all say the same thing "used once, used three times, etc". Tormek knockoff is about same price or a little cheaper maybe but to me seems like a better option. Not sure how much the water cooled benefit is. Sounds like some think it's a big deal to not upset the heat treat and others don't think it's a big deal.

But really I could just use a belt sander like you said and probably get similar results. Over the years I have ground many metal things with just a simple hand sander turned upside down so I have a flat surface to work with. It just doesn't seem that complicated (not taking about actual final sharpening of a blade, more just reprofiling/grinding). Reprofiling on the spyderco triangle sharpener works but even with diamond rods it seems to take a really long time if the angles on the blade are out of whack.

I was thinking pretty much the same things exactly. Seems really simple, have the right grit, the right angle, and don't over due it as far as reprofiling.

The reason tormek clone machines came up is becaus I was looking at the various worksharp options (none of which I liked) and their cost. Ken onion worksharp version with blade guide is over $200 I think and even then there are many things I don't like about the design (but to be fair I have never used one so I'm just guessing based on the design). And reviews I read and sale ads almost all say the same thing "used once, used three times, etc". Tormek knockoff is about same price or a little cheaper maybe but to me seems like a better option. Not sure how much the water cooled benefit is. Sounds like some think it's a big deal to not upset the heat treat and others don't think it's a big deal.

But really I could just use a belt sander like you said and probably get similar results. Over the years I have ground many metal things with just a simple hand sander turned upside down so I have a flat surface to work with. It just doesn't seem that complicated (not taking about actual final sharpening of a blade, more just reprofiling/grinding). Reprofiling on the spyderco triangle sharpener works but even with diamond rods it seems to take a really long time if the angles on the blade are out of whack.
I've considered the wen sharpener, but I used to do a lot of sharpening!
But I have a hot roded belt grinder and a few really good diamond plates, that combo always worked for me.
If I didn't have the belt grinder, then I would probably own the wen sharpener.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top