JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can't carry cocked & locked, you're not ready to carry. The last few people I have spoken with that are not comfortable carrying loaded all had the thought they would always be bystanders and would have the time to load and surprise the bad buy, but couldn't comprehend they could be in the situation where they where face to face and would not have the surprise element. It blows my mind people think that situation can't happen to them, why are you carrying in the first place if don't understand every variable?

Not to mention you are more likely to accidentally shoot your self chambering a round in a panic, than keeping a round chambered, it's happened!

If you can't carry cocked & locked, you're not ready to carry. The last few people I have spoken with that are not comfortable carrying loaded all had the thought they would always be bystanders and would have the time to load and surprise the bad buy, but couldn't comprehend they could be in the situation where they where face to face and would not have the surprise element. It blows my mind people think that situation can't happen to them, why are you carrying in the first place if don't understand every variable?

Not to mention you are more likely to accidentally shoot your self chambering a round in a panic, than keeping a round chambered, it's happened!

The only person who ever knows they're going to do a bad thing, is the bad guy.

...I've been carrying, (and shooting) as an adult around about 3 months now. I started carrying chamber less...for about a week. With practice I've increased my comfort level & moreso my knowledge & understanding.

...I've been carrying, (and shooting) as an adult around about 3 months now. I started carrying chamber less...for about a week. With practice I've increased my comfort level & moreso my knowledge & understanding.

Nice man;)!

Effort trumps time:cool:

I was the same way. It's kind of ridiculous to berate people just because they're working into their comfort zone with their gun. Also I'm pretty sure a lot of CC'ers have done the same thing themselves.

Let people get their on their own. Realistically the chances of an individual being put into a situation to both draw and fire their gun in an instant are so low that carrying unchambered for a while will make an almost insignificant difference. They'll get there when they're ready.

Also, there seems to be no video in the OP?

I called my mom a hypocrite when I was 16. She hit me in the head with an aluminum frying pan she happened to be holding. I can still hear that hollow bong sound to this day. In terms of carrying, People just don't realize how fast things go down. Heck, I didn't even see the frying pan in time to duck

I'm not sure which of my brothers was the "example" but, at a very early age I knew better than to lip off to either of my parents. During our teens, I even recall one of the younger brothers getting a bloody nose after he called the other a "little bastard", when he didn't know Dad was within hearing range......IMHO: An unloaded(no round in the chamber) self defense pistol is just a very fancy/expensive/ineffective bludgeon.

This is an interesting thread but also a potentially dangerous one especially for those that are either 1) new to owning firearms or 2) To lazy or to smart to read the owners manual. Even if you bought the gun used you can typically find the manual online. page7b

All firearms are not created equal and not every pistol is safe to carry "Cocked & Locked". I'm posting a link to a PDF of Colt's little "Pocket Mustang". Read it over and you will see that early on it starts telling you not to carry it "Cocked & Locked", if your are still unsure the bottom of Colt's page 23 is pretty clear to me? http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_mkiv_series_80_380_auto_pistols.pdf

Cocked & Locked is definitly the way to go as long as it is safe for your pistol, make sure it is before you end up hurting yourself or someone else.

This is an interesting thread but also a potentially dangerous one especially for those that are either 1) new to owning firearms or 2) To lazy or to smart to read the owners manual. Even if you bought the gun used you can typically find the manual online. page7b

All firearms are not created equal and not every pistol is safe to carry "Cocked & Locked". I'm posting a link to a PDF of Colt's little "Pocket Mustang". Read it over and you will see that early on it starts telling you not to carry it "Cocked & Locked", if your are still unsure the bottom of Colt's page 23 is pretty clear to me? http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_mkiv_series_80_380_auto_pistols.pdf

Cocked & Locked is definitly the way to go as long as it is safe for your pistol, make sure it is before you end up hurting yourself or someone else.
A little common sense goes a long way, too. I know, it is in short supply these days.

That was the same year and just a little after my dad almost took me out for being drunk and driving his '66 Mustang into the back of a Little Rock City Police car. Age 16 was not my finest 365 days on the planet. It was almost my last, though. 21 years in the Air Force fixed me, though.

In high school I was in pretty decent shape, towered a bit over my Dad too. I mouthed off once...and only the once...to my Mom using foul language (it was pretty bad language too...).

My Dad booted me -UP- 2 flights of stairs over that one, so I could apologize to her.

Learned pretty darned quick to keep a handle on my mouth & my aggression as a teen from that lesson.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top