JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tested a set of reloads based on the Sierra Manual for .223/5.56 in a Wylde chambered AR with the 69gr smk with Varget.

Used mixed brass both .223 and 5.56 so there were certainly pressure differences based on internal case dimensions.

I started at 24.7gr and did loads increasing in .2 gr up to the maximum of 25.7gr. Just like yesterday with RL15.

Shot from the bench supported only on the front on a rest and my hand on the shoulder stock.

Overall the reloads were 1-2"@100 but the ones from 25.1 - 25.5 were all under an inch. So I need to refine my results between those two loads. Excellent morning shooting too. Everything went well. When you consider the X855 were like 4-6" clearly some work will make your shooting life much better.

Source: http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

BTW, I am using a 40x scope on the rifle for the load development. It looks like some wannabe swat guy's wet dream. Have to post a pic of that... pretty funny but it means I don't need a spotting scope.

I think you are right. I am looking for a load I can use at Appleseed and for general standing, sitting, prone shooting and practical rifle. I used mixed cases because I wanted to keep it easy to do so that I don't dread reloading.

I am happy enough with the testing that I might get some lapua brass and do a REALLY high accuracy test together and see how that goes. I think that if I am 1 moa now, I might get to half. That would be just great actually.

For my 204, I have Nosler Custom brass in color coded lots and keep them together for the duration of their lifetimes. I am at <1/2 moa with 39gr Sierra Blitz Kings on 24.8gr of RL10x. Made some 400 yard shots in no wind up at Fort Bidwell in Northern California. Actually popped a ground squirrel and had a bald eagle land right on it. I had this 40x scope on it at the time and watched that eagle eat the remains through the scope. Like being able to touch it. Most amazing hunting day of my life.

The max for .223 in the Sierra manual is 24.7gr for the 69gr SMK. This was just below the neck. I believe there was some compression with the bullet seated to 2.260" OAL but not much. I don't know that I would do this with a 75 or 80 gr bullet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top