JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same thing happened to me at Walmart a couple of years ago. Only, I had bought a bunch of other stuff and didn't realize the mistake until I got home.

I did not go back and correct it. :(

I've had it happen once at a smaller, regional sporting goods store, and I was able to see the mistake and pointed it out at the register.

But the Walmart incident still haunts me. :s0076:

I hear you on that. In those kinds of scenarios I try to "pay it forward" to keep the "karma bank" balanced.

I agree, but to what extent is "a great deal" morally wrong. If a gun store sells me a Glock for $400 when I would have valued it at $500, am I now immoral in having happily saved $100. It's worth noting, some stores purposely have a losing money sale on 1 item to them get a significant number of people into a store to then buy other products.

I view this as less/non of an issue than paying in cash and getting back the wrong amount of change heavily in favor and thinking, "sweet!"

Your analogy is faulty. If the store is actually charging $400 and that's what you pay, no issue, even if it's well below market value. Not the case here. He paid $10 and got back $90 in change in merchandise he DIDN'T pay for, knowing full well that it was a mistake on the cashiers part. Integrity and self respect would have required gently correcting said cashier and only taking the merchandise paid for, apparently the OP has neither. Not sure I'd call it stealing, only because the cashier handed him the merchandise, but it's a tiny step up, and requires some pretty fine hair splitting to avoid it. Later.

Dave

I'm glad to see such a high ratio of morally intact people here. In all honesty, he may have well just slipped those extra packs into his pocket when nobody was looking, the retailer won't know the difference. When they do the books they'll just think someone stole from them.

Dan

When we lived up Salem way, I'd frequent Tigard Pawn for more for trades/transfers.

Then hit the Northwest Armory store just up the 99 to see if they had any deals as well. Usually ammo, so I'd pick up a case or 2 (if not limited, due to $ savings on the deal).

Did suchly one time, as normal, single case limit tho. I think $180 on 9mm.

Got home, found I grabbed a case of 1000 .45, but was charged for the 9. I didn't notice (tired/rushed, who knows). Oops!

The cashier didn't notice (obviously), as I guess they rang up there on special deals off of a note by the register. Not off of the product.

Called them up a few days later, made arrangements to swap it out whenever we were up that way again. Did so.

When we lived up Salem way, I'd frequent Tigard Pawn for more for trades/transfers.

Then hit the Northwest Armory store just up the 99 to see if they had any deals as well. Usually ammo, so I'd pick up a case or 2 (if not limited, due to $ savings on the deal).

Did suchly one time, as normal, single case limit tho. I think $180 on 9mm.

Got home, found I grabbed a case of 1000 .45, but was charged for the 9. I didn't notice (tired/rushed, who knows). Oops!

The cashier didn't notice (obviously), as I guess they rang up there on special deals off of a note by the register. Not off of the product.

Called them up a few days later, made arrangements to swap it out whenever we were up that way again. Did so.
I had the exact thing happen there too except I was trying to purchase 9mm Luger.

Wound up going home with 9mm browning court....... Figured it out on the 2nd day of a 3-day pistol course. Not a good time to find out you've got a case of the wrong ammo!

"Honest" Abe Lincoln is reported to have walked 5 miles to return 6 pennies, he overcharged working as a clerk, to the rightful owner.

Taking valuable property you know is not yours, regardless of how it's done, is morally and legally wrong. It's called theft. Despite that the clerk has apparent authority, she actually doesn't and made a known mistake that may cost her her job, and certainly costs the business losses.

I've been in this situation many times as the clerk or the buyer and have always corrected the mistake. When I was about 20 I worked part time at a convenience store. One wealthy regular paid for his gas with a crisp $100. He was unaware that two crisp Benjamins were stuck together. I noticed and could have easily stolen it, but I gave him his $100 bill and change from the fuel purchase. I was broke, and $100 was a LOT of money to me back then, and he literally showed no appreciation or even a "thank you," and went on his merry way. Regardless it was the right thing to do and I'm glad I did it.

I would encourage anyone in this situation to do the morally - and legally - right thing.

You want to hear about a great day, I opened my gun safe yesterday morning to take out some .22 lr ammo for a member here that was buying a couple of bricks from me, so he could take his 14 yr old daughter and teach her how to shoot with a new rifle he bought for her.
He was so nice on the phone, I decided to throw in some extra ammo, and when I moved the boxes, I found $2,000 in cash that I had stashed there and forgotten about.
Now that is a good day.
Glad I'm not the only one who does that.........It's tough gettin old.

One trip a few years ago to the 1838 Rendezvous in Riverton Wyoming...
My friend Dave and I stopped in at one of our favorite gun shops....he deals with antique firearms.

I see a percussion rifle that I like...and the owner and I agreed to a straight across trade.
The rifle that I wanted had a price of $700....my rifle that I traded was worth around that much.
( We would go in there often on our trips...so that may of been of help here...)

We arrived at the rendezvous....and upon further inspection of my new to me rifle....
I see that it is marked "St. Louis" and has a rifle makers name , who is associated with the western fur trade.

Now the rifle that I traded , was a nice one and in good shape , and as I said it was worth the asking price of my new to me rifle ( $700 )....but ....
Now with the stamping of St. Louis and a somewhat famous rifle maker....this rifle is worth considerably more....as in maybe adding a 1 in front of the 7 , type of more...( at least to the right person , at that right time . )

So I call up the owner and tell him what we found out....and when would be a good time on our return trip to see him and trade back....
The store owner tells me :
Thank you for being honest.... And that he did not notice the name or stamping on that rifle.
He also said the rifle that I got came in as a package deal of other rifles that had even more famous makers...and that in reality my new to me rifle was small potatoes , when compared to these names....
Lets just keep the deal that we made....

I could have not said anything .....and still would have ended up with that rifle....
But I am glad that I did what I felt was right ....and got to keep a neat historic rifle .
Andy

I bet OP is sorry for the thread start about now, or maybe not...the fact is this type of "white lie" bothers those with integrity, but doesn't seem to bother others lacking it. Enjoying the stories from the guys and gals that made it "right".
EDIT:. I should have pointed out that I am not trying to elevate myself above those that are OK with going about their business without something like this bothering them. It's just a fact of their life. Lord knows I have my share of faults and sins.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top