JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SO when should we be planning for that? Maybe sometime in my lifetime - maybe not? The problem with preppers is that they are acting like chicken little always screaming the sky is falling with out any real evidence that it is. This is a free country but to continue screaming a diaster is coming carries as much credibility as the guy walking down the street wearing a board saying the end is near. Whose end and when - neither of these questions are ever answered with any actual evidence. To me putting some extra food away, keep guns and ammunition on site and keep the portable water containers fresh and filled is not prepping it should be part of your daily life.

James Ruby

No 'prepper' that I have ever met hopes that a major disaster occurs, or economic collapse, so they can say they were right.

Most understand that such an event is going to be horrific for them as well as others and they are doing what little they can to gain the little edge to be prepared the best they can.

Non-preppers though will make no effort whatsoever because in doing so they would have to accept the possibility that the status quo will not continue and that is an uncomfortable reality for them.

So, you have many wealthy people that could easily prep on some minimal level, but instead have two cans of tuna in the fridge and a half box of cereal in the cupboard, planning on going to the store tomorrow or the next day.

Non-preppers are the ones who are not rational for a collapse is a mathematical certainty. Throw in all the other what-ifs like earthquakes and no prepping on some level is foolishness at its worse. A common squirrel is smarter than most humans in that regard.

It is in the corporate gov's best interest to have the individual as weak and helpless as possible. Everyone should be a part of the hive and dependent. Even with the MSM supporting that premise 24/7 via the boob tube, there are still the 1-2% that just refuse to stampede along with the rest of the herd.

No 'prepper' that I have ever met hopes that a major disaster occurs, or economic collapse, so they can say they were right.

Most understand that such an event is going to be horrific for them as well as others and they are doing what little they can to gain the little edge to be prepared the best they can.

Non-preppers though will make no effort whatsoever though because in doing so they would have to accept the possibility that the status quo will not continue and that is an uncomfortable reality for them.

So, you have many wealthy people that could easily prep on some minimal level, but instead have two cans of tuna in the fridge and a half box of cereal in the fridge, planning on going to the store tomorrow or the next day.

Non-preppers are the ones who are not rational for a collapse is a mathematical certainty. Throw in all the other what-ifs like earthquakes and no prepping on some level is foolishness at its worse.

It is in the corporate gov's best interest to have the individual as weak and helpless as possible. Everyone should be a part of the hive and dependent. Even with the MSM supporting that premise 24/7 via the boob tube, there are still the 1-2% that just refuse to stampede along with the rest of the herd.

Prove it and if so when? I am playing the devils advocate - is it a year from now - five years or ten years down the road. To take anything without proof is the equivalent of the a belief structure. Beliefs are beliefs because they cnanot be proven. I have been putting stuff away myself but preppers seem to think they know more than the rest of us - I am willing to listen - doomsday phrophecises have been going around a long time, yet I have seen very few examples of world wide catastrophies and none in my life time.

James Ruby

Well said "JGRuby" I tip my tin hat to ya lol jk. But I think its very important to be prepared for emergencies and natural disasters. You never know when a small event can make a huge impact on the food supply and everything else but in reality it will all go back to 'normal' when its over. But having a few supplies on hand and being prepared will be the difference as to whether you suffer or survive.

However just because you have to tap in to your "preps" doesnt mean it is the end of the world. And you should not prep just because you fear the end of the world. Those are the types that make preppers look like a bunch of tin hat wearing nut jobs. When really we as a nation should be advocating for everyone to be prepared for even the smallest disaster, not "the end of the world"

Crazy preppers like that only draw a target on themselves. If the "end of the world" was here YOU WOULDNT STAND A CHANCE you really think WE feable humans are somehow stronger then the dinosaurs? When the time comes there is not much we will be able to do. Having basic supplies and being prepared with a few weeks supply of food will be about the most you will need. Much more is just crazy. You should be ENJOYING YOUR LIFE NOW as opposed to waiting and preparing for the world to end.

You should prepare tho lol If your power goes out this winter do you have a back up plan to feed your family? If not who is crazy now? But ask yourself "Why do you prepare?" If its for the end of the world you may want to avoid your shrink as much as possible especially if you value your gun rights. But if you are preparing for realistic emergencies then your right on track. I know this is HIGHLY debatable and hopefully not gonna get any worms thrown at me here and I dont mean to offend anyone its just 1 mans opinion.

Just who is picking on "preppers"? I haven't seen any signs of widespread ridicule or hatred for prepper types. There is even a popular TV show about them. Yes, they do try to interject humor/controversy into the show format, but so what? They do the same thing for all of the other "real" life shows. (Logging, crab fishing, car repossession, rednecks, etc. That is just television trying to find a way to make their schtick a little more interesting than it really is)

There seems to be a little paranoia evident in the prepper mentality. If you are a prepper, so long as you and yours are prepared for some type of catastrophic event, what do you care what others think? It doesn't help to run around complaining that other people disrespect you. Screw them.

I am not sure what proof is being requested? That we are on the brink of economic collapse? Anyone willing to do the research can figure that out for themselves. Whether it is tomorrow or short years from now, not preparing on some level is foolish.

It is not my place to free the minds of others or push them to do the research at this point. That will be the choice of others. To be among the sheep or not; not my concern any longer. That time has passed and now it is time for numero uno.

I can't tell you how many people have told me in the last five years that they should 'get some food and water stored away' or 'buy some silver'. But they never do. Not an extra can, not an ounce. They simply cannot make ANY effort for to do so would be to accept the possibility that the 'threat' is real. They will spend hundreds on liability/fire insurance with a corporation on the .0002% chance that someone breaks their leg on their property or their home burns down though. That is OK because that has the blessing of the herd.

So be it. Their delusional reality is their issue at this point, not mine. Their TV awaits. A comfortable message that all is well.

In reality, no one is coming to help you, no one is coming to save you. Your fate is in your own hands. As this video states "You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."

What the MSM has successfully portrayed as a 'prepper' in their smear-job shows like 'doomsday preppers' is not a rational prepper. Digging a hole for yourself in the middle of the desert because you are sure an EMP is coming is not rational.

Having emergency supplies on hand because you know that the economy is balancing on crap - that the debt/ponzi is coming to an end - is rational, as is being prepared (the best you can) for a quake, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prove it and if so when? I am playing the devils advocate - is it a year from now - five years or ten years down the road. To take anything without proof is the equivalent of the a belief structure. Beliefs are beliefs because they cnanot be proven. I have been putting stuff away myself but preppers seem to think they know more than the rest of us - I am willing to listen - doomsday phrophecises have been going around a long time, yet I have seen very few examples of world wide catastrophies and none in my life time.

James Ruby

I think you're partly right, but I believe the preppers you refer to are the vocal, reality show types and not those of us who are covert, silent preppers. Like industrious squirrels gathering nuts for a long winter, we gather our supplies, including guns and ammo quietly and those few who know us really well us are most likely doing the same. We're not hoping that some mythical Armageddon will come, but we're ready for any natural or man made disasters just in case. We live normally as if no disaster will happen in the next hundred years, but we're ready, in case it happens tomorrow. :)

James Ruby

I think you're partly right, but I believe the preppers you refer to are the vocal, reality show types and not those of us who are covert, silent preppers. Like industrious squirrels gathering nuts for a long winter, we gather our supplies, including guns and ammo quietly and those few who know us really well are most likely doing the same. We're not hoping that some mythical Armageddon will come, but we're ready for any natural or man made disaster just in case. We live normally as if no disaster will happen in the next hundred years, but we're ready, in case it happens tomorrow. :)

Just who is picking on "preppers"? I haven't seen any signs of widespread ridicule or hatred for prepper types. There is even a popular TV show about them. Yes, they do try to interject humor/controversy into the show format, but so what? They do the same thing for all of the other "real" life shows. (Logging, crab fishing, car repossession, rednecks, etc. That is just television trying to find a way to make their schtick a little more interesting than it really is)

There seems to be a little paranoia evident in the prepper mentality. If you are a prepper, so long as you and yours are prepared for some type of catastrophic event, what do you care what others think? It doesn't help to run around complaining that other people disrespect you. Screw them.

Times are changing but I can tell you 20 years ago any prepper was called a "survivalist" whacko.. as if surviving was somehow immoral

Bees and ants stockpile food and bears fatten up for the winter but that's OK in the anti preppers twisted brain

Everyone is crazy, the sooner we realize that the better. The key for me is deciding if my crazy is hurting others. Stocking up on supplies hasn't hurt anyone yet so I will keep doing it. I don't care what the media says and won't be inviting them over anytime soon.
The idea that prepping is socially selfish is silly in a society that encourages consumption. No prepper I'm aware of has ever said they were done or that they were one item away from being done - there is always something else. Society should be grateful that someone has expanded the market for water treatment options, long-term storable food and first-aid supplies.

Preparing is like home remodeling, never done lol. I have a broad view of it. Not just about cans of food/water/meds. About anything real. When I buy a tarp, screwdriver, or staple gun at Home Depot that is preparing. Anything 'real' vs fake paper is preparing. Cash in the bank or funds in an IRA are not preparing (fine if people disagree with that, we all make choices).

To me, in the event of the inevitable economic collapse or other event such as a earthquake "what you see is what you got". You won't be picking up the phone and calling Etrade and saying "hmm, things are pretty bad here, can you get those IRA funds to me I need to go buy an ax and shovel to dig through the rubble left of my house, go to the grocery store even though the line is six blocks long .... could you transfer funds? ... wait, my bank is on 'holiday' ... hello, are you still there? ... hello .... meanwhile hyperinflation is hitting hard and by the time you eventually have access to funds they are worthless ..... damn - wish I had THINGS.

My favorite part was the lady that called preppers "socially selfish". This is how crazy we have become. Instead of praising people for being self-reliant, we call them selfish. What a load of horse manure!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top