JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm trying to find a decent area on the west side of the state to take the kids squirrel hunting. If anyone knows of a place, and is willing to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Cade

I've really wanted to try squirrel. I've heard it's really dang good.

Could always drag a bird feeder into the woods. Little buggers are married to my neighbors and there are a ton of squirrels now.

You won't find much in the way of Western Gray's on the west side. You'll see fox squirrels, eastern grays, and douglas squirrels. Douglas' are protected. Fox's and eastern grays aren't, as they are invasive.
The eastern gray is smaller than the western, and has a redish brown mix to their fur, unlike the Western which is a true gray. They almost look like you crossed a fox and Western gray.
I only hunt hood, and east so can't help you on a spot. Watch for stands of oaks.
Follow the acorns!

So I'm trying to find a decent area on the west side of the state to take the kids squirrel hunting. If anyone knows of a place, and is willing to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Cade
Can't help much on the north west part of i5 for Western Grays, but I would recommend looking a bit further south where the oaks are more plentiful than fir like already suggested. My spots burned up last year and this year looks like it might be bad.

You can hunt eastern greys and red tree squirrels all year long. Eastern greys and reds are common in city limits, which limits "how" you hunt them. Reds you can harvest tails and send to Mepps for fishing spinners or money. (can't do it for Western Gray)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top