JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Information only: there was a shootout between three adult men at a Forest Service gravel pit shooting area East of Marcola (Eugene) Oregon last week. As I remember the Sunday newspaper article, two brothers in their thirties were shooting and a third man in his sixties pulled in to the site to shoot too. Some kind of "dispute" arose, and all three were found too wounded to leave the site. No further news today in the paper and nothing ever on the telly....................elsullo :confused:

Just goes to show ya IF A SPOT IS TAKEN OR THERE IS A RIG THERE move on to the next spot dont crowd right in next to them or there bound to not like it and throw some lead your way. I hate people trying to shoot next to me and i will tell them that i was here first and to get lost unless its a car full of wemon then sure stand as close to as you like:) Good thing there all were really bad shots or somone could have died.

Just goes to show ya IF A SPOT IS TAKEN OR THERE IS A RIG THERE move on to the next spot dont crowd right in next to them or there bound to not like it and throw some lead your way. I hate people trying to shoot next to me and i will tell them that i was here first and to get lost unless its a car full of wemon then sure stand as close to as you like:) Good thing there all were really bad shots or somone could have died.

I think that's common courtesy in an ideal world, but if it's a big spot or a popular area then there's no reason why more then a group of two people can't share it. I don't know all the details, but if you really want to shoot by yourself and are the type of person who is itching for a gun fight, you better head to the high hills and not the right off the road zone. That's how we meet other shooters and make friends, stuff like this doesn't do much for the image of recreational shooters. It's just sad that this kind of stuff happens.

Ed

I think that's common courtesy in an ideal world, but if it's a big spot or a popular area then there's no reason why more then a group of two people can't share it. I don't know all the details, but if you really want to shoot by yourself and are the type of person who is itching for a gun fight, you better head to the high hills and not the right off the road zone. That's how we meet other shooters and make friends, stuff like this doesn't do much for the image of recreational shooters. It's just sad that this kind of stuff happens.

Ed

I'm with you Ed.

What it goes to show is that we need to be courteous with the finite number of good shooting spots there are and not act like we own it just for showing up first. An inability to share the space is what makes people so skeptical whenever they hear someone sound off with a cliche like " an armed society is a polite society."

Ed
I could not agree more. I just hope I don't have to start wearing my kevlar every time I go shooting at some gravel pit.

Sorry to hear about this kind of thing.

Just as an example of cooperation between outdoors users, my brother and I drove up to the gravel pit on Squaw Mt a couple years ago to do some practice shooting. We were the first ones there and shortly after we arrived another pair of shooters showed up with a truck load of military style weapons (drool). About the time we got set up a bunch of folks showed up to do some dirt bike riding. They were upset that we were wanting to shoot in their riding area and we were upset that they were riding in our shooting area.
The situation was very unsafe and there was some really ticked off people. They argued that they could ride were they wanted and we could go and find another place. I argued that according to the Sheriffs dept that this was the only place we could shoot.
I offered this deal to the dirt biker group, if they stayed clear of our side of the pit and did not place themselves in a unsafe position that we would be done in an hour or two and they could then have it to themselves. We all agreed on this and it worked out well for everyone.
We even gave them some ear plugs when the other shooters brought out the 50BMG.

We have got to work together or we will all loose use of what we have now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top