Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Grass Fed Beef

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jmoney, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jmoney

Jmoney Portland, OR Member

Looking for recommendations on a quarter or half cow for spring purchase. Thanks!

2. juandelaselva

juandelaselva Boring Sandy Gresham Member

I recommend an 18 month old Hereford (the brown & white one) steer .
    He has been grass feed (with some grain to get him through the winter) and will be quartered later this spring.

'Spring' is a natural event, and can not be tied to a specific date. The beef (IMO) is best when the animal has fed on rich spring grass.

Let me know if you are interested.
    - John

cow2.jpg

3. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

i would vote against strictly grass fed beef per my last steer. the last one i had here was all grass with a fair amount of alfalfa but no grain, the meat isnt bad but is not as good as previous steers that i had raised. a little chewy and not as flavorful as the others. i wont raise another steer without feeding grain, my:twocents:

4. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

You guys are making me hungry!!!
    Mike

borrowedsig and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

What breed?

6. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

hereford, slaughtered at twenty months

7. juandelaselva

juandelaselva Boring Sandy Gresham Member

Was he slaughtered after being on spring grass?
    The alfalfa makes me think/guess you slaughtered him after winter/fall.

I've only raised/slaughtered 7 cows (Thing2 will be #7), so I am no expert. Those which were finished on/with grain were...not my favorite. Also, the more corn in the c.o.b. the more yellow the fat. Can't say I am a big fan of yellow fat on my beef.

Also, the breed makes a (bit of) difference. Hereford and Angus are popular now, and meaty! As you may have deduced from the photo above, we are going to try the elite Angus-Holstein cross towards next fall. If I find a good deal on a. Young Belted Galoway steer, I may purchase one of those.