Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Grass Fed Beef

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jmoney, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jmoney

Jmoney Portland, OR Member

Looking for recommendations on a quarter or half cow for spring purchase. Thanks!

2. juandelaselva

juandelaselva Boring Sandy Gresham Member

I recommend an 18 month old Hereford (the brown & white one) steer .
    He has been grass feed (with some grain to get him through the winter) and will be quartered later this spring.

'Spring' is a natural event, and can not be tied to a specific date. The beef (IMO) is best when the animal has fed on rich spring grass.

Let me know if you are interested.
    - John

cow2.jpg

3. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

i would vote against strictly grass fed beef per my last steer. the last one i had here was all grass with a fair amount of alfalfa but no grain, the meat isnt bad but is not as good as previous steers that i had raised. a little chewy and not as flavorful as the others. i wont raise another steer without feeding grain, my:twocents:

4. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

You guys are making me hungry!!!
    Mike

borrowedsig and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

What breed?

6. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

hereford, slaughtered at twenty months

7. juandelaselva

juandelaselva Boring Sandy Gresham Member

Was he slaughtered after being on spring grass?
    The alfalfa makes me think/guess you slaughtered him after winter/fall.

I've only raised/slaughtered 7 cows (Thing2 will be #7), so I am no expert. Those which were finished on/with grain were...not my favorite. Also, the more corn in the c.o.b. the more yellow the fat. Can't say I am a big fan of yellow fat on my beef.

Also, the breed makes a (bit of) difference. Hereford and Angus are popular now, and meaty! As you may have deduced from the photo above, we are going to try the elite Angus-Holstein cross towards next fall. If I find a good deal on a. Young Belted Galoway steer, I may purchase one of those.