Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Grandson in trouble at school....DUMB

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Starship, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Took my 10 year old grandson to the range for the first time last week. No one there but us and an instructor with new girlfriend. Instructor had a small arsenal and was showing her how to shoot.

At one point he asked my grandson if he would like to try it. He was just watching and had never fired a gun before. Long story short, he learned the correct and safe way to handle a handgun. He got to fire an MP5 on full-auto and overall had a grand old time. I'm not sure what was bigger, that pile of brass or his eyes after firing that thing on auto. I'm not an instructor and too new to this to consider teaching him this, I really appreciated the help and interest Eric took. I sure enjoyed watching.

Fast forward to yesterday. Grandson went to school was given assignment to write about something that scared him and what happened. He wrote about the great time he had with Grandpa and learning about guns. Was scared at first, due to noise, but learned how they worked, why they made noise and had a great time.

Teacher took essay to principal, principal called his mom (my daughter) and had her come to school. Wouldn't give her the essay or let her read it (said he had to lock it up) but bascially told her what it said. He agreed it was well written and not aggressive in anyway. Said he was glad he enjoyed the day with Grandpa but school policy says even writing about guns was a no-no.

Daughter called Grandpa and suggested he get time-out for making her go to principal office (for first time in her life). She wasn't mad about taking son to the range but she was sure po'd she had to go see the principal.

So, lets see if I've got this right, the school has now made any and all info on guns taboo. Making the kids even more curious about them but not with adult supervision because they (the adults) will get after them for being interested. Gee, doesn't this sound like a great way for my grandson (or any kid) to learn about guns, safety, and responsibility. Bunch of dumb-a$$es if you ask me!

2. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

Wow man, that's forgetting....2 amendments at once, they set their sights high at that school. I'd love to have a talk with that principal

3. Ravenous

Ravenous West Linn, OR Member

I'm usually very level headed but that is bull$h1t!

4. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Amen, 2thumps up for grandpa, and all grandpa's. My son , 40ish, has recently revived his interest in firearms. Now he is taking the grandson to learn gun safety at the gun club and to shoot 22's. Yahoo. What a neat thing. The American Boyscouts teach gun safety.
    This is a sad time when schools are trying to dumb down education and indoctrinate children this way.
    It would be interesting to see if this is one school principal's and teacher thing, or an entire school board written policy. Not sure that the NRA and others might want to help on this one.. jm.02c

5. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

I have hated school principals since I was 9 or 10 years old. Their asinine mentality, as illustrated above, is the main reason I decided not to go into teaching. I can't imagine going more than a year or two in that profession without losing my temper and tearing my boss a new one (or worse).

6. Bhowe

Bhowe Seattle Member

I had an assignment in middle school in which we were each assigned one of our constitutional rights, and were told to make a poster about it with the right, and what it meant and such. Well a friend of mine and myself (funny because my parents used to own a popular sporting goods store in Redmond, WA and I have always been around hunting/fishing/camping/hiking) were assigned the 2nd amendment.

Long story short, we were removed from the library for looking up pictures of "people killing guns" (actually said by my liberal history teacher), so we did the project at home.

We turned the poster in and on the day we were supposed to present them, she made it a point to skip us. We both told our parents so they knew it was coming, but then they called a conference with both our parents, and the vice principle.

Long story short, my mom and my buddies mom ripped this lady a new one, and even the vice principle who was probably just as lib as my teacher, was forced to agree. We were given i think 80% on the project.

7. husker

husker portland Active Member

Schools can teach kids about sex, drugs and drinking but not about guns.
    Soif you have to write a history paperI guess guns were not involved.

8. Bhowe

Bhowe Seattle Member

I always thought instead of sex ed and dare (drug education) in 5th and 6th grade (long before kids are exposed to drugs), they should use just a little bit of that time to teach gun responsibility and safety. I don't even care if they say guns are dangerous. Get the NRA eagle out there and at least teach them to stay away from guns unless mommy or daddy says its okay. Or even that mommy and daddy are not bad people for shooting or hunting with guns.

I grew up with people that knew what my parents did for a living and used to ask me questions like "how do you sleep knowing there are guns in your house"...well, actually quite well.

9. Bhowe

Bhowe Seattle Member

No, people used to protect their families and farm from tyrants and thieves with pillows and pixie dust...what history book are you reading?

Crazy Republicans and their guns.

10. usrifle

usrifle washington Member

Unbelievable....and unacceptable. The kid writes about a good time he had with Grampa and look at the mess now.
    Wouldn't even let her read her son's own paper?!?!!Locked it up?!?
    I'd probably be talking to the ACLU or an attorney.
    usrifle

11. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

That would have been a completely different meeting with the principle if it had been me. I already went through this with the one my son has and set it straight. Little did they know I was carrying at the meeting, that's at least still legal here anyway.

Now go sit in the corner until your daughter tells you, you can get up.:D

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I would have told the principle what I told my sons principle when he got in trouble for his first and only fight defending himself by punching a bully, "thank yous for informing me of the circumstances and if there is nothing else I need to go take my son to get ice cream as I told him I would if he ever got in trouble for defending himself."

13. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

That skool is stooped. Props to G'pa for taking grandson out and having a good time. Shame, SHAME, no SHAME!!!! on that teacher.

14. Yester

Yester Troutdale Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

schools these days are a load of :bsflag:

I learned to bake banana bread but didn't learn anything about gun safety or the importance of responsibility with the subject... pointless!

Good thing my grandfather taught me just like you taught your grandkid...

Good job Grandps ;)

15. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

That was my thoughts as the principle just stole from the kid. Isnt the paper and pencil it was written with purchased by the parents, wouldnt that make it their property? Like I said it would be an entirely different meeting with me.
    But thats why they call me A**hole.

16. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

The ACLU would ignore it.... Do you know how the ACLU counts to 10?

1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10............

17. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Which school, and the name of the Principal?:confused:

18. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

I would be interested to know too. :thumbup:

I mean, if no one has a problem with a few well spoken emails.

19. fred c. dobbs

fred c. dobbs salem Active Member

exactly the reason my kids are in a private school. Public schools are indoctination centers no more no less.

20. mattt

mattt Salem Or Member

In high school I had to do a report on someone who had a significant impact on history. I chose Sam Colt and never got any grief, but that was way back in 01. How the times have changed.