JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like the title says. He left me his firearms... and as far as I am aware, since I am immediate family I don't need to do any transfers with the state.

Just wondering if I am correct in feeling that way or if I need to go do a bunch of transfers..

Thanks in advance

Regardless of the actual answer to this question.

Does anyone (gov) know he had them, does anyone know you didn't?

The problem is I know at least 2 of em were bought recently, but the others are older, I know I don't need to worry about those.
I know there is a couple of .22's that are older and a .380, not sure about the others. He unfortunately got rid of most of his guns a long time ago.

He used to have an FFL and had tons of guns in and out of his shop. But he got diagnosed with stomach cancer and given 6 months to live.....16 years ago. He was a fighter and outlived his original cancer doctor lol

Immediate family, including grandchildren and grandparents do not need to do BGCs or any other paperwork on firearms, whether alive or not.

ORS 166.435 - Firearm transfers by unlicensed persons - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes

The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

(a)The transfer of a firearm by or to a law enforcement agency, or by or to a law enforcement officer, private security professional or member of the Armed Forces of the United States, while that person is acting within the scope of official duties.

(b)The transfer of a firearm as part of a firearm turn-in or buyback event, in which a law enforcement agency receives or purchases firearms from members of the public.

(c)The transfer of a firearm to:

(A)A transferors spouse or domestic partner;

(B)A transferors parent or stepparent;

(C)A transferors child or stepchild;

(D)A transferors sibling;

(E)A transferors grandparent;

(F)A transferors grandchild;

(G)A transferors aunt or uncle;

(H)A transferors first cousin;

(I)A transferors niece or nephew; or

(J)The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

the only wrinkle would be if they were NFA items, otherwise yup, they are yours.

The other would be, if he was an FFL at the time of his death, and the firearms were in his ledger as being part of his inventory. As I understand it, if an FFL is to take personal possession of firearms in his ledger/inventory, then he has to sign them out to himself (I think also a 4473/etc.).

Condolences to you and your family- my Dad passed away last January and left me a Ruger P95. No way are the CA gun Nazis going to find out about it, or the 15-round mags that came with it.

Geno

Just did

I make it general practice not to talk about firearms that I own that are not on the books anywhere, especially online where anybody can see it, and the data never goes away, even if you delete the post.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top