JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is likely a longshot, but had anyone fired a GP P40 in 10mm? I am interested in the handling, trigger, and recoil with full power loads(180gr @1300+).

I have ordered one anyways but the discussion of this pistol is extremely limited. The one review on YT I've seen said the 10mm recoils like 9mm +P in this rotating barrel handgun. At a weight of 27 ounces, I kind of doubt that. Plus the guy probably got the gun on T&E.

Anyone have experience with this pistol or other GP's recoil characteristics vs standard tilting actions?

I did not like the de-cocker location in the video I saw. The shooter was dropping the gun back into double action mode accidently when shooting.

Just me. But I think handguns with to many, or oversize controls are a good way to get yourself killed.

I did not like the de-cocker location in the video I saw. The shooter was dropping the gun back into double action mode accidently when shooting.

Just me. But I think handguns with to many, or oversize controls are a good way to get yourself killed.

There's a video of the P40 10mm where the guy puts the gun into DAO mode and in MAC's video the same thing happens with a 9mm GP.

I don't think the lever is a decocker as much as it is a DAO, DA/SA switch.

I'll see how it goes in my hands.

Strong words. It's your favorite trigger over other poly guns? Or it is your favorite trigger ever?
I'd say my favorite trigger out of all the firearms I shot. It is a very good "straight from the factory" trigger. 4 lbs SA trigger pull (9lbs DA) with a very short reset. Combined with the rotating barrel for less muzzle flip it was very easy to shoot fast.

I bought one back when century was importing them and was going to stop because they dont know how to market the gun. I got it basically for the rotating barrel but knew it was my new carry gun after shooting it. I had to order a holster from slovakia as well to carry it. After giving my collection to my son he carries it now as well.

I'd say my favorite trigger out of all the firearms I shot. It is a very good "straight from the factory" trigger. 4 lbs SA trigger pull (9lbs DA) with a very short reset. Combined with the rotating barrel for less muzzle flip it was very easy to shoot fast.

I bought one back when century was importing them and was going to stop because they dont know how to market the gun. I got it basically for the rotating barrel but knew it was my new carry gun after shooting it. I had to order a holster from slovakia as well to carry it. After giving my collection to my son he carries it now as well.

High praise indeed. For the P40 series, I've heard they have compatibility with sig P320 holsters.

Ever tried stuffing your P1 in a sig holster?

I can't speak for that model specifically but I do have a p11 in 9mm. I don't notice that much diference in muzzle flip from a regular tilt barrel gun. But my GP is my fave gun. The slide is super smooth. It's like oiled glass on glass and the trigger is really good. The double action while heavy is a smooth pull all the way to the break. Can't feel the slightest bit of grit and there isn't any hang up in it. I don't care for the decocker/DA switch though. I wish it was just a spring loaded decocker that went back to position after you hit it.

I picked up the GP40 yesterday and it is indeed nicely manufactured. The lockup is very tight, and the barrel construction looks superb.

Dry firing it... I can see why you guys really like the trigger. I was wondering "how good can it be?" The answer is it's pretty damn good out of the box.

I will comment more once I get to shoot it. Can't wait.

Update:

The recoil on the P40 is very smooth, firing stout loads is comfortable in spite of the handgun weighing only 27oz.

The magazines are relatively short so max OAL cartridges barely fit in and are difficult to get in without binding. I feel that this is minor.

The P40 has two serious problems that are keeping it from being used for anything other than a range gun at this point.

Problem 1: this is a common complaint of the P40 10mm, but the magazines are dropping free about 3 times per 100 rounds, especially with stout loads. I think this has to do with the magazine size earlier noted. I would imagine loading the cartridges shorter would help this issue.

Problem 2: this one I haven't seen people complain about yet. Occasionally the trigger doesn't drop the hammer... But decocks the gun.... Yeah that's right... Slowly squeeze the trigger and instead of BANG it's just a click-click and the hammer drops down to half cock.

Update:
Problem 2: this one I haven't seen people complain about yet. Occasionally the trigger doesn't drop the hammer... But decocks the gun.... Yeah that's right... Slowly squeeze the trigger and instead of BANG it's just a click-click and the hammer drops down to half cock.

That's a pretty big issue. Never heard of that before. May want to contact someone over that.

@MrRob96

Curious if you ever followed up with GP. I saw another post where you mentioned the same issue months later, so I assume no?

Mine has been fine - about 150 rounds through it so far (S&B, Magtech for FMJ and 4 different manufacturer's defensive loads). The only thing that happens on some ammo (seems like Magtech was the primary one it happened on) is the last round does not chamber reliably. This is with all factory loads, so I'll know more when I try some of my own. Could be breaking in the mag springs. I don't know. I am pretty sure it's happened on both of my magazines.

I've not, thankfully, had my magazine drop. I have noticed the mag release spring is very stiff. Same as you, I also did observe that the mags seem like very little clearance on some cartridges. I think they might have tried to get away with using the same mags for their .40 version. That slide reassembly takes some practice :).

I did have a thought on your issue of sometimes a trigger-pull dropping to de-cocked mode. I did not have it on the GP40, but I did have a similar problem on another DA/SA gun. I know you didn't make modifications, but when I first updated my CZ P-07 (.40 with decocker) with some Cajun parts, I had this same issue sometimes. After a lot of frustration and second-guessing myself, I realized I was hitting the frame with the trigger, so filed back (we're talking only a few light strokes of the hand file - don't bust out the dremel!) on the frame, and then was able to get the hammer to drop if I squeezed more firmly once I hit the frame. I filed just a hair more of the polymer (maybe 1-1.5mm total after both filings), and now it's back to being my trusty carry gun.

Thought I'd pass it along as it sounded similar enough to my problem with a polymer framed DA/SA gun, and I noticed my GP's trigger goes pretty close to the back of the frame, so I could see some issues like that happening. Might be all it takes.

Anyhow, I hope you get your GP cranking again. Mine shoots pretty good. I shoot a lot of .40, and it felt about like those. The grips ate a bit into my hands, but I reckon that's all part of the fun. That 135 gr Corbon stuff, rated at 1400+ fps was really loud (first shot really surprised me), and for me, it was the most consistent of the 4 HP's I tried. It made notably crisp, clean holes in that paper when compared to some other stuff I was shooting. Fed Hydrashock I think was the quietest, and decent consistency. Need more testing with some hand-loads (now that I have some brass I can clean) as 10mm defensive rounds are pricey.

@Zathras

Thanks for the suggestion on clearing up the decocking issue. I have not sent the pistol back to the importer because I've heard they simply refer you to use a gunsmith they know of. Specifically in the case of mag drops, the "fix" is a heavier magazine release button. The magazine release button is already too difficult to operate reliably, so stiffening this up will be akin to making the gun a fixed magazine as far as I'm concerned. This isn't a tenable solution.

I will see about the clearance issue with the trigger. Mine appears to be related to the out of battery indicator. If I screw around with the out of battery disconnector, OR i stuff a loaded magazine into the gun to put upward pressure on the slide, the problem changes a bit. I will report back if I have any luck.

I haven't shot the GP recently. I like to load my 10mm warm, and while the felt recoil impulse is quite smooth compared to my other 10s, the slide velocity is a bit excessive.

Your comment has given me the itch to go shoot the P40. Such a shame I couldn't wait until the P40Ls were in the country.

@MrRob96

Agreed on the mag spring.

Glad to hear I rekindled your desire to go shoot the P40 (I have not shot a P40L). I shot mine again yesterday with some hand-loads. Didn't have that many prepared, so need more testing, but was pleased by how it performed with those thus far. Had no mag issues - no failures to feed, etc.

I'd be interested to hear more about your 10mm experiences, so I'll look around for other posts maybe - don't want to further derail this thread.

This pistol looks like it has a lot of potential if they ever wanted to make a 2nd generation of it with more common sight dovetail and improve the decocker and magazine issues. Would love to buy a DA/SA hammer fired 10mm with a decocker that isn't an as expensive as the P220 Legion 10mm and actually holds more than 8+1.

Would love to buy a DA/SA hammer fired 10mm with a decocker that isn't an as expensive as the P220 Legion 10mm and actually holds more than 8+1.

Agreed. It was the closest thing I could find to my beloved CZ DA/SA P-series guns. By the way, on this guy, you really only get 13 vs. the advertised 14. I've heard others with similar complaints. I seriously dented the brass with a MagLula trying to get round 14 in and gave up. Maybe in time, it'll go in easier. Also, mags are expensive, but have heard you can use Witness mags (about half the price) and drill the proper mag release hole. I have not tried that, but intend to do so.

I have no experience with the Witness or Tangfolio models. I have heard mixed reviews (kinda like this gun). Maybe I got lucky, but only time will tell.

Agreed. It was the closest thing I could find to my beloved CZ DA/SA P-series guns. By the way, on this guy, you really only get 13 vs. the advertised 14. I've heard others with similar complaints. I seriously dented the brass with a MagLula trying to get round 14 in and gave up. Maybe in time, it'll go in easier. Also, mags are expensive, but have heard you can use Witness mags (about half the price) and drill the proper mag release hole. I have not tried that, but intend to do so.

I have no experience with the Witness or Tangfolio models. I have heard mixed reviews (kinda like this gun). Maybe I got lucky, but only time will tell.

I was looking at the Witness 10mm, but they seem to be thumb safety only with no option for a decocker. I am not comfortable letting the hammer down by thumb roll or other method and don't care to carry it in single action, so I decided against the Witness 10mm. If they emulated CZ in a convertible system like Omega, that would be interesting, although I was extremely disappointed with the actual Omega trigger I had on a P-07 (heavy, gritty, weird break, and didn't improve with break in).

When I saw the GP P40 with its rotating barrel system, I was hoping that it would basically be an off brand PX4 with the benefit of being offered in 10mm, but it seems like it has some way to go still. My hope is that they might produce a new model with the input of American pistol shooters who carry in addition to shooting at the range. I am hoping within the next decade that someone will produce a reasonably affordable and reliable 10mm that has a hammer, decocker, at least 10+1 capacity, and a common sight dovetail. Springfield recently released a XD series pistol in 10mm, so perhaps that will push other companies to develop their own 10mm (but hopefully not striker fired).

@StopPolloition

Agreed with all that, except on the P-07. Mine has been pretty good. I did update mine with the Cajun 'defensive carry' package, but it was still pretty decent before I updated it. Maybe I got lucky. I do agree that having the option for people to convert to cocked/locked vs. decocker is a good idea by CZ.

The lack of grip size adjustments on the GP is I think an unforced error on their parts, as it would be relatively easy to do, and has become a more common thing to see in a newer pistol, and doubly so given that many people's chief complaint about it is that it doesn't fit their hand properly. It fits mine pretty good, but I have relatively long fingers.

Definitely have the same things I look at in a carry pistol - DA/SA w/decocker. As to the PX4 comparison, I've shot my dad's, but that was a full-size 9mm, so not sure if it's fair to compare, other than both are 'good shooters'. I've thought about an XD, even though I don't prefer a striker-fired, as it sounds promising. Needs a bit longer bake for me - too early in the release to trust it.

@StopPolloition

Sig makes a P220-10 that has decocker and is DA/SA that isn't the Legion. You should be able to find them on gunbroker.

The GP is nice. Needs some work tho.

@Zathras

After your suggestion, it seems like lateral pressure on the trigger can change the behavior of the decock. If I push the trigger to the left while pulling, it drops hammer reliably. If I pull the trigger to the right, it decocks the hammer ~75% of the time. I will see if I can do anything to remedy this.