Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Grand jury won't indict man who shot Texas deputy

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by oneharmonic, Feb 8, 2014.

1. oneharmonic

oneharmonic Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Grand jury won't indict man who shot Texas deputy

This sets a very interesting precedent. It's extremely rare for someone to even survive shooting at a police officer, let alone get off the hook for murder charges.

But in this case, the grand jury was 100% right. Like the rest of us, Texans are also getting fed up with the militarization of our "peace" officers.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

But with the Felony,, he loses his guns....

hope the Pot was worth it!

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

"Peace Officers"?!
    Ha. Policy enforcers.

PBinWA, Grunwald, chariot13 and 5 others like this.
  4. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Tentatively agree.

This is what happens with no-knock warrants which are increasingly being used.

Then there are the knock then enter a microsecond later warrant executions.

The whole idea of the requirement that a LEO knock is to give the residents time to come to the door and open it peaceably without having the LEOs bash the door down and come rushing in.

Caveman Jim, rocky3, Stomper and 3 others like this.
  5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Isn't there an Indiana law allowing people to shoot at cops if they are threatened. As in self defense against a cops actions?

6. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

Yes there is.

chariot13 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

This warrant was for marijuana and no one in the house was in harms way, therefore there was no valid reason to enter without knocking. It's a shame the officer was killed but partly his own fault.

8. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Good. Hope to see more of this.

9. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What exactly do you hope to see more of?

10. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

Could this be the NORTH BRIDGE moment ?????

Sheldon

11. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a tendency to believe this is more the result of tragic ineptitude on the part of the PD involved, rather than a deliberate attempt to abrogate the civil rights of the inhabitants. Professionals act in a manner in which everyone goes home (or to jail) intact. I applaud the courts for weighing the evidence, and I will trust in their decision. The cops have to do a better job that this.

12. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Anyone think juries in WA or OR would do the same?

13. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Well, we won't be seeing state LEA here in Washington kicking in doors over a plant anytime soon. Grand jury was absolutely correct. You kick in my door in the middle of night while I am half asleep with multiple others including children sleeping in their beds, and I will defend them too.

Unsure of the answer to your question, I would have thought TX would have went the other way too...

14. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

This has happened before (in TX if I recall) when they served a warrant on the wrong address and the first 2 cops through the door went down from a WWII vet and his 1911. No Knock warrants are over used. I understand if they knock and announce themselves giving enough time for the residents to verify that it is LE and not a home invasion. Seriously, do you think that a weed grow operation large enough to justify a regular warrant service (with a knock) could flush the evidence of their activities in less than say 5 minutes? Maybe a coke, meth, or heroin distribution center but I think it would be difficult to flush even 2 large plants in that time.

15. Stevenav

Stevenav Redmond Active Member

Well I'll say it if noone else will.

I hope to see more cases of police officers getting shot and killed by citizens when the police decide to ignore the basic rights of the citizenry.

I'm pro law and order... and I'm very VERY pro police when they respect and serve the citizenry that they're entrusted by.

But I'm very VERY anti police when they think that they do not have to follow some basic rules and behave in a civil and reasonable manner.

Storming a citizen's house like this... it's not reasonable, it's not civil, and as such people should be entitled to defend themselves.

Were I a member of the grand jury I'd not indict either. If I were a member of the criminal jury if they did indict... I'd find him innocent immediately... no matter what the law says. Jury nullification is a valid legal tool to use when the courts are out of control and need to be reined in.

JackThompson, Redcap, Stomper and 4 others like this.
  16. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

FYI- In Oregon it's statutorily illegal to resist arrest by an LEO, even if the arrest is illegal.

"acting under color of official authority"... wow, that's a LOT of leeway in some circumstances.

However, there was a successful case of having a conviction reversed: Defendants can't resist arrest if they don't know they are under arrest, Oregon appeals court rules | OregonLive.com

Here's a link to the official court ruling... at the end of the day, it still must have cost a FORTUNE in legal expenses to fight it:

http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/docs/A146922.pdf

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

I would hope not to see more of this by virtue of better legislation and police policies. It's patently absurd that people are being removed from their homes and families over a few pot plants. I didn't vote to make it legal here, but I wouldn't lobby to waste taxpayer dollars chasing potheads.

18. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I hope to see more LE paying dearly for their mistakes, even if that means with their lives. No-knock/wrong-house raids are unacceptable and the homeowners should be able to defend themselves and their loved ones.

19. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

What were they going to do, flush the marijuana plants down the toilet?

I don't think the fault lies with the officer as much as the policy.

Until we tell our leaders to stop this nonsense, until we force them to at the ballot box, the police are just carrying out the will of the pols, who are ostensibly carrying out our will.

20. U201492

U201492 Well-Known Member

Well, there was that Everett Police officer who unloaded his Glock into a woman who had shielded her children with her body- 3 kids, a magazine of ammo all shot in her back- the outrage was a bit high. Deaf woodcarver given 7 seconds to put down a closed knife- who was shot to death in downtown Seattle. All the WTO riots where the police abused their authority.

Himmmm, do I see a pattern here developing? I think there's a lot of hostility to the police here for their abuses the last 25 years. Thats the bad. The good is the "Old Guard" is being forced into early retirement- Seattle Assistant Police Chief is 57 years old and will be stepping down in June (thats the plan, anyway).

So I think most people have a "wait and see" mentality right now.