JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like most members of this site, I probably have more firearms than I really need. I have a Mini-14, an SKS, a 30-30, other hunting rifles, a shotgun, and a .22. I also have a couple of defensive handguns.
So, considering what I have at this time, I often wonder, if the SHTF, which would be my first choice if I had to grab a gun and run. Obviously I can't carry all of them at the same time. There's also the matter of ammo. Plus, to paraphrase a Biblical verse: "man shall not live by guns alone". So, I would need more than firearms.
Someday I might have an M1-A in .308. But, at this time I don't. So, after much thought I have decided to take this one: I have a World War II German made Model 98 Mauser in 8MM caliber. The bore looks like new. It has had an aperture (peep) sight added which helps accuracy. There is a "no-drill, no-tap" scope mount available for this rifle, so mounting a scope would be easy if desired. This is a simple designed firearm with very few parts. It is very rugged. It is the gun upon which all current bolt actions are based. A few spare parts would keep it going indefinately. And, at this time spare parts are abundant and inexpensive.
One problem with this caliber is that American made hunting ammo is down loaded to aproximately 30-30 specifications. This is due to the fact that a lot of inferior Mauser knock-offs have been made in many different countries down through the years. However, European made military ammo is loaded in the 30-06 class. That makes this caliber a very viable choice. I have a lot of ammo for it loaded on 5 shot stripper clips in bandoleers. Although this ammo is older military surplus, every one I have fired so far has gone "BANG!"
With this caliber you can "reach out and touch someone". I believe that might give me an edge on those who are using .223 or 7.62X39 rifles. It is slower to fire than semi-autos but after all - only HITS count!
I like ALL of my "Toys" but I believe that if I could only take one, the Mauser would be it.
Opinions, please!.

I live in the burbs so when bubblegum hits the fan a lightweight semi-auto carbine would be ideal for defending my life and property. My long gun of choice is the AR-15. It is also the most expensive rifle I have and the one I have put the most time into customizing so if I have to leave it is the one I would cry the most about if it got looted or destroyed by flood or fire. Considering how small my collection (2 long guns, 2 pistols) is I'd probably just toss all my guns in the car though but if I have to abandon my vehicle, the AR is coming with me.

I think if I had to grab just one, it would be the cetme. It's, ready to go right now with 10 loaded mags of 7.62x51 and a belt of another 100 rounds to throw over my shoulder for that "look". It currently has a 6x scope on it, but I think I would ditch that first thing to save weight and just stick with iron sights. I know I could carry more .223 than .308 but if I'm on my own, I want to be able to do a bit more damage with each shot.
I think I would still have my carry pistol in that sort of situation though.

That Ole 8MM is proven and formidable, and from the US side the '03 pattern 30-06 is king of the hill. But 8mm ammo is rare, and 06 is more available for sure. So if you're looking for a bolt action go for the spring field in 30-06.
TIME CHECK: Those guns were great in their day... fighting mainly other bolt action enemies... Today, look around most every bad Guy sports an AK. Many including me, feel the AR is the best grab & go option. Powerful enough, Self loading, and you can carry many rounds for the same weight as a few rounds of 8MM. Besides there is a vast amount of ready to go 5.56 in country.
If you don't like the AR check the new Ruger Mini 14, improved very accurate, no "direct impingment" gas system, or one of the AK gas types... say a second hand DAEWOO imported by kimber some years back, benefit of this is it still uses AR mags.
Despite all of the emotion between 9mm vs 45, 5.56 vs 7.62, Most realize if you're on the move... you better be able to carry the ammo you need, cause the ammo probably isn't available for sale anymore. in these scenarios... the 5.56 & 9mm win every time.
and never underestimate a simple .22lr.
A1

Last Edited:
Where am I heading and how long do I plan to be there? Do I think it's possible I'm heading out to be a woodsman for a few years, or am I heading to a relatives home in the country?

If I'm escaping into the woods for an indeterminate time, I'm taking a .22lr and a lot of ammo by count. I'm going to be hiding, so my first need for the gun is hunting. Up to 100 yards it's plenty good for self defense.

I'd take my Remington Nylon 66. (semi auto, dependable, weatherproof almost, holds 14 rounds, very light weight.) Accurate as heck. Doesn't make as much noise as a larger caliber.

Am I going to be trying to help defend Aunt Erma's place along with a group, and do some hunting too? I see nothing wrong with the AR 15. Rounds are small and light and I can carry quite a few.

You said one gun but I'd strap on a handgun too. If I was taking my Nylon 66, I'd also take a .22 auto pistol and a couple of extra mags so that one stash of ammo would work in both.

Dunno. Depends on what's happening and where I plan to go.

Cliff

PS I've really cut back on calibers. Not counting .22, I have just 3 calibers of rifles, one gauge of shotgun and 2 calibers of handguns. That makes it easier to have lots of ammo for each. That's a decision I made about a year ago and set about getting done. Included are the NATO calibers.

That Ole 8MM is proven and formidable, and from the US side the '03 pattern 30-06 is king of the hill. But 8mm ammo is rare, and 06 is more available for sure. So if you're looking for a bolt action go for the spring field in 30-06.
TIME CHECK: Those guns were great in their day... fighting mainly other bolt action enemies... Today, look around most every bad Guy sports an AK. Many including me, feel the AR is the best grab & go option. Powerful enough, Self loading, and you can carry many rounds for the same weight as a few rounds of 8MM. Besides there is a vast amount of ready to go 5.56 in country.
If you don't like the AR check the new Ruger Mini 14, improved very accurate, no "direct impingment" gas system, or one of the AK gas types... say a second hand DAEWOO imported by kimber some years back, benefit of this is it still uses AR mags.
Despite all of the emotion between 9mm vs 45, 5.56 vs 7.62, Most realize if you're on the move... you better be able to carry the ammo you need, cause the ammo probably isn't available for sale anymore. in these scenarios... the 5.56 & 9mm win every time.
and never underestimate a simple .22lr.
A1

You posted while I was typing. Good ideas there.

Another benefit of the AR-15 is it can be quickly broken down into a very small package by simply pushing two pins out. You can fit a disassembled carbine in an inconspicuous sports duffel bag or larger backpack no problem.

This might be useful if you need to walk around where there are other people or get herded into a temporary refugee shelter and don't want everyone going ZOMG ASSAULT RIFUL and cops taking your guns like what happened in katrina. I know OR law protects us from this happening but WA does not and I don't really trust all cops to know the law anyway.

Be a tough choice between an AR or shotgun.

I sorta had a SHTF gun put together. It's essentially an LMT Defender that got upgraded to all the stuff I wanted on it. Rock Creek stainless fluted 16" barrel, Trijicon TR24-3 scope w/ American Defense Recon mount, VTAC/Troy Extreme, Surefire 6P defender light on a Vltor mount, combat trigger job set to 4lbs. with no creep, and SKT single point sling. It's fairly light weight, extremely accurate, reliable, and only has one accessory that requires batteries (flashlight that's on a quick detach mount).

My shotgun is a Mossberg 930 spx. It's reliable, light, feeds just about everything (including walmart el cheapo target loads), and versatile (can load it with slugs for deer, 00 buck for people, bird shot for small game). My only issue with grabbing a shotgun though, is that a couple hundred rounds of 12 gauge takes up a lot of space and is heavy. I could grab a lot more .223 rounds for the same weight/dimensions.

My M4 and HK45. I would really miss my 1911, but the HK magazine is larger and the pistol is lighter. I couldn't just take one gun. I might have to leave my truck and head into an area without drawing attention to myself, which would definitely happen with the M4. Oh never mind, I would just throw the 1911 in the truck. I'm not good with questions like this.

This is actually a trick question, because the correct answer is a Remington 870, but I don't have one.

me i would take one of my ar15s cause ammo is light there is plenty of it and the weapon is light i would also take my colt 45 and my glock 26 im sure my wife would take a ar and another handgun . but i always keep in mind that if the bubblegum hits the fan all i have to do is go out and pick the gun up off the ground that i really want LOL

one gun out the door.. would be my M-4 ( car-15).. its light weight I can carry it all day,without being fatigued, its small enough to aim out a car window, even while driving. its compatable with u.s. military ammo. its easily concealable and has a 400 meter range.

Probably my G19 as I can conceal it, thus drawing less attention to myself than carrying a long-gun would.

Honestly, there are so many other things that I would prioritize before the gun - food, water, first-aid, compass, knife, etc...

a .45, or better yet 2 45's. Still have to get my double gun shoulder rig and mag pouches, 20 rounds in the guns and 40 in extra mags, good to go. Throw in a machete (or katana, or M9), for the quiet work.

Why .45? Bigger is better, always.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads