JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Huh, had to run (Flee). Only one... Maverick 12 ga.

If we get a heads up and can't take the vehicles (I am assuming otherwise it would be more than one) then we are fleeing on foot so that means only one rifle. Then we are taking the BoBs. Because I always have a CZ P-09 in .40 S&W that is coming. The 22lr slide and 9mm slide is in the BoB. So grabbing the Aero M4-orgery, and to go with that is the CMMG.22lr Conversion Kit in the BoB.

Because work probably will need to go on even during TEOTWAWKI I'm grabbing my laptop bag. Besides it has a the Keltec Sub2K in .40 S&W and (4) 29 rounders in it.

Since I will most likely be going with idea of re-taking the house, I am snatching the Maverick 12 ga because I don't want to face it later. Since I hope to use it for breaching the house later, I will put it in cache place.

I ain't telling all ya'all where everything else is...

Last Edited:
Like most members of this site, I probably have more firearms than I really need. I have a Mini-14, an SKS, a 30-30, other hunting rifles, a shotgun, and a .22. I also have a couple of defensive handguns.
So, considering what I have at this time, I often wonder, if the SHTF, which would be my first choice if I had to grab a gun and run. Obviously I can't carry all of them at the same time. There's also the matter of ammo. Plus, to paraphrase a Biblical verse: "man shall not live by guns alone". So, I would need more than firearms.
Someday I might have an M1-A in .308. But, at this time I don't. So, after much thought I have decided to take this one: I have a World War II German made Model 98 Mauser in 8MM caliber. The bore looks like new. It has had an aperture (peep) sight added which helps accuracy. There is a "no-drill, no-tap" scope mount available for this rifle, so mounting a scope would be easy if desired. This is a simple designed firearm with very few parts. It is very rugged. It is the gun upon which all current bolt actions are based. A few spare parts would keep it going indefinately. And, at this time spare parts are abundant and inexpensive.
One problem with this caliber is that American made hunting ammo is down loaded to aproximately 30-30 specifications. This is due to the fact that a lot of inferior Mauser knock-offs have been made in many different countries down through the years. However, European made military ammo is loaded in the 30-06 class. That makes this caliber a very viable choice. I have a lot of ammo for it loaded on 5 shot stripper clips in bandoleers. Although this ammo is older military surplus, every one I have fired so far has gone "BANG!"
With this caliber you can "reach out and touch someone". I believe that might give me an edge on those who are using .223 or 7.62X39 rifles. It is slower to fire than semi-autos but after all - only HITS count!
I like ALL of my "Toys" but I believe that if I could only take one, the Mauser would be it.
Opinions, please!.
I don't think about it in terms of 1 gun cuz that's not realistic imo. F.e. If u can put 1 gun in a bug out bag or small backpack, you can easily add a pistol and ammo too. So it would never be "1 gun" imo.

also too many factors to consider such as concealability, portability of guns and ammo, effectiveness, suppression, likeliness to find ammo, etc. I think of it in terms of what will fill most of those factors but still fit in a small pack. Lots of guns fits that bill such as 556 with folding stock (Fe brn-180), various pistols, PCCs, etc., heck even my 12gauge coach gun fits into a standard backpack and can shoot slugs (2800 fpe) #00 buck, birdshot, and most any other caliber with adapters (Fe see pick below). 37446595-B8A9-4E45-B854-DB0823B024D1.png

shotgun rifle combo gun mine is 222 20G. with 22lr insert. 20G. buckshot and slugs, ideal. trouble with semiauto is people tend to waste ammo. i learned this 60+ years ago with a browning auto, and weapons training before my paid vacation to se. Asia

After some thought...

As always if I am to be left with only one gun...
I'd go with my .54 Hawken Rifle copy...Its the rifle I shoot the best with.
It carries and points well for me...and has served me well since 1997 when I bought it new.
I know that this choice is unusual for most folks , but I ain't like most folks...:D

And yes I know I replied earlier in this thread...but that reply originally was for a slightly different idea , which was mixed into this thread.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top