JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
tough question
living in the city and knowing that AR's will be everywhere along with 9mm and 223 ammo
I think I would grab my CZ SP01 9mm , easy to move around with in the city without drawing attention
can carry mags and ammo , and if I need a rifle they will be easy to come by

Like most members of this site, I probably have more firearms than I really need. I have a Mini-14, an SKS, a 30-30, other hunting rifles, a shotgun, and a .22. I also have a couple of defensive handguns.
So, considering what I have at this time, I often wonder, if the SHTF, which would be my first choice if I had to grab a gun and run. Obviously I can't carry all of them at the same time. There's also the matter of ammo. Plus, to paraphrase a Biblical verse: "man shall not live by guns alone". So, I would need more than firearms.
Someday I might have an M1-A in .308. But, at this time I don't. So, after much thought I have decided to take this one: I have a World War II German made Model 98 Mauser in 8MM caliber. The bore looks like new. It has had an aperture (peep) sight added which helps accuracy. There is a "no-drill, no-tap" scope mount available for this rifle, so mounting a scope would be easy if desired. This is a simple designed firearm with very few parts. It is very rugged. It is the gun upon which all current bolt actions are based. A few spare parts would keep it going indefinately. And, at this time spare parts are abundant and inexpensive.
One problem with this caliber is that American made hunting ammo is down loaded to aproximately 30-30 specifications. This is due to the fact that a lot of inferior Mauser knock-offs have been made in many different countries down through the years. However, European made military ammo is loaded in the 30-06 class. That makes this caliber a very viable choice. I have a lot of ammo for it loaded on 5 shot stripper clips in bandoleers. Although this ammo is older military surplus, every one I have fired so far has gone "BANG!"
With this caliber you can "reach out and touch someone". I believe that might give me an edge on those who are using .223 or 7.62X39 rifles. It is slower to fire than semi-autos but after all - only HITS count!
I like ALL of my "Toys" but I believe that if I could only take one, the Mauser would be it.
Opinions, please!.
I know this is an old post but I have some 8mm bullets for sale if your into reloading. They were pulled from some hard primer surplus. I don't have exact count but I can get one if your interested.

Oh and to answer the question. I have always tried to keep my calibers limited to a core, I didn't want to have 15 different guns with 15 different calibers and if I had to pillage and plunder for survival I felt it would be best to have the common calibers.....so I would take my Beowulf since i can swap it with most any AR lower.

With only one... Since there was nothing said about Pneumatic guns... I would take the few I own, and a 10-22 based rifle. The air guns have barrels for .177 .22 .25 and .30, with the .22 and larger are pushing with the right tune over 60fpe and close to 100 in the 30. They are suppressed. the .22 gets 100+ 50fpe +/- shots on a fill, I have a hand pump for in the field, and a dive compressor that serves dual duty, breathable air and fills.
My reasoning is this, with stealth and proper shot placement, other guns could be acquired. my partner on the other hand, would choose one of these; 6.5 Creedmoor target rifle, 6.5 PRC in their Christensen BA Tactical, or the M1 A Precision or M1 A Scout. I just hope for non SHFT events, enjoy a heated and cooled home, a daily shower, toilet paper, and ice cream.

Grab one gun is a tough question because it depends on the situation leading up to me bugging out.

The reason I say this is if martial law has been in place for a while with check points and patrols, then if you go be-bopping down the road carrying a rifle you will stand out like a sore thumb and seen as a threat right off the bat and some folks might turn you in for a little food, so unless everyone is carrying a rifle then its tag your it.

A CZ scorpion with folded brace or other short weapon in a back pack with extra mags and a couple concealed hand guns on your body will make you look less threating and you become a gray man of sorts and it's easier to get around as well as your hands are free.

I know this is more than one weapon but my backpack is all ready to go and if I got time to grab a rifle, I got time to get my backpack. My backpack has the Scorpion with 7 35rd mags a Ruger MKII 4in with 5 mags as it fills the small game hunting role, 3 days food some water and a basic med kit. Plus, my EDC pistol and mag pouches and I am out the door.

Now if there is an invading force heading my way and I am leaving by car then I also have set up a chest rig with 10 AR mags and I am not sure if I would grab my AR with the 16 in BBL or 11.5 both with red dots and lights. I lean towards the 11.5 as it is easier to maneuver, I can hide it under a coat and I am not looking at long distance shooting. O and yes, my backpack as well will be with me.

After reading as much as I can about the collapse/takeover of countries or areas I have come up with one conclusion, if you carry a rifle, you're a threat to everyone. Folks on both sides will kill you to get it!

In the end it does not matter what you have to start with because you do like every third world country and you use whatever you have to acquire what you need.

Edit: correct wording

Last Edited:
Like most members of this site, I probably have more firearms than I really need. I have a Mini-14, an SKS, a 30-30, other hunting rifles, a shotgun, and a .22. I also have a couple of defensive handguns.
So, considering what I have at this time, I often wonder, if the SHTF, which would be my first choice if I had to grab a gun and run. Obviously I can't carry all of them at the same time. There's also the matter of ammo. Plus, to paraphrase a Biblical verse: "man shall not live by guns alone". So, I would need more than firearms.
Someday I might have an M1-A in .308. But, at this time I don't. So, after much thought I have decided to take this one: I have a World War II German made Model 98 Mauser in 8MM caliber. The bore looks like new. It has had an aperture (peep) sight added which helps accuracy. There is a "no-drill, no-tap" scope mount available for this rifle, so mounting a scope would be easy if desired. This is a simple designed firearm with very few parts. It is very rugged. It is the gun upon which all current bolt actions are based. A few spare parts would keep it going indefinately. And, at this time spare parts are abundant and inexpensive.
One problem with this caliber is that American made hunting ammo is down loaded to aproximately 30-30 specifications. This is due to the fact that a lot of inferior Mauser knock-offs have been made in many different countries down through the years. However, European made military ammo is loaded in the 30-06 class. That makes this caliber a very viable choice. I have a lot of ammo for it loaded on 5 shot stripper clips in bandoleers. Although this ammo is older military surplus, every one I have fired so far has gone "BANG!"
With this caliber you can "reach out and touch someone". I believe that might give me an edge on those who are using .223 or 7.62X39 rifles. It is slower to fire than semi-autos but after all - only HITS count!
I like ALL of my "Toys" but I believe that if I could only take one, the Mauser would be it.
Opinions, please!.
I would love to see how good you are with an 8mm to outshoot a 5.56 in good hands.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top