JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon Couple Told They Have No Water Rights, Forced to Destroy Their Own Pond

Oregon Couple Told They Have No Water Rights, Forced to Destroy Their Own Pond

This was not a stream they dammed up but a dug pond that catches rainwater that have been there for over 40 years and were there when they purchased the property. The government has known and in some cases used them in the past for firefighting. They try to reach an accommodation and still get shoved aside. Government knows what's best for their subjects. I guess gun rights are not the only rights at risk.

upload_2017-2-24_13-4-5.png

Last Edited:
I think it is stupid too, but dunno if I would blame the government - water rights in the west go way, way back in time and were established by early settlers and are considered sacrosanct in some parts.

With climate change we are going to see a lot more of this stuff going on, where it comes from "the government" or neighboring landowners.

Asinine. The whole thing.
Sounds like their whole bubblegum is 'rainwater' so instead of rainwater, pump it up from the ground and fill your pond..

Then what are they going to bubblegum about next?

Edit:
I will be digging a hand dug well at my house sometime, I'm believing the water table is somewhere around 20' down. I'll use a system so it can be used to water my house lawn, garden etc. All household water comes from the overpriced city that keeps wanting levies and taxes. I spend $92/month for water/sewer in Albany. I use under the minimum baseline for H2O consumption. I look forward to when the city says something about my green lawn, I'll tell them point blank to to F- themselves.

Last Edited:
I'd say the title company that did the title search when they bought that property is liable for compensation to the Careys.
They're in the Butte Crk Watershed, and somebody should have known better, especially at the title company. It's not like this is a new situation, watersheds always have first claim to surface water within their boundaries.

And if the Careys didn't have a title search done, then they're just dumb/ignorant, and next time they'll know better. And it wasn't that long ago the local title companies went through this.

It's hard to believe the County and the watermaster are bucking the firefighters though. Other than a drought, a wildfire is about the worst thing that can happen to a watershed.
But then again, the Jackson county Sheriff's office has spent the last 40 years fighting dope growers and illegal watering setups that go along with that, so it may take awhile before they change their ways.

Most municipalities don't know how to take care of their rain water anyway. Crap in DuPont.... OK so a water truck gets stuck in the cobbles,no binder at all. 2500 gal truck,dumps it out cause he's too heavy for the loader to pull out. Makes a wet spot the size of a car hood. Anyway we put in the utilities. And we ran **down spout drains**????? into the storm drains.
Yeah 2500 gallons disappears but we need to put the down spouts into pipes
These engineers are flaked in the heads.
Plus I would really look at the local laws regarding this. There is a group called agenda 21? I believe, that is telling local municipalities what's what. They have no jurisdiction but the locals believe they do. The tIn hats say it's UN BS.
I would definitely look deeper into this BS.

It is illegal in WA to collect rain water as wello_O

I know we have no shortage of water this winter but tell me what sense this makes to be illegal to collect rain water that runs down my downspouts into a sewer. At least in Portland they were giving people breaks on their sewer bills to disconnect them from the sewer system which I did. For some reason the people who bought my house in Portland reconnected them to the sewer. Got to wonder sometimes.

Last Edited:
It is illegal in WA to collect rain water as wello_O

"Due to increasing interest, in 2009 the Department of Ecology clarified that home rainwaterharvesting is legal, but operations found to interfere with water rights may be stopped. It is not illegal to collect rainwater in Wa State. You do not need a permit either."

<broken link removed>

"Due to increasing interest, in 2009 the Department of Ecology clarified that home rainwaterharvesting is legal, but operations found to interfere with water rights may be stopped. It is not illegal to collect rainwater in Wa State. You do not need a permit either."

<broken link removed>
"Due to our infatuation to control every little thing people do, in 2009 the Department of Ecology clarified that home rainwaterharvesting is legal, but we can do what we want anytime we want and you can't so neener neener suck a big weener. It is not illegal to collect rainwater in Wa State. You do not need a permit either."

Fixed your information

<broken link removed>

Nice, I had not seen that;)

"Due to our infatuation to control every little thing people do, in 2009 the Department of Ecology clarified that home rainwaterharvesting is legal, but we can do what we want anytime we want and you can't so neener neener suck a big weener. It is not illegal to collect rainwater in Wa State. You do not need a permit unless we decide that we need to inspect your water storage and at that point we will access your property at any time without advanced notice to do so. A permit will be necessary if we feel reason to require one without support from the law."

Fixed your information

Fixed for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews