JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was a kid my dad paid us an allowance. If you did not have belt in your pants or your wallet - your allowance was waived. It taught us to get up and dressed each day. The military took over where my dad left off.I cannot imagine leaving the house without my wallet for any reason. Just me.
It would seem if you had already paid for something, and gone through all the necessary paperwork to obtain said item, picking it up later without all of that documentation would be a matter of formality and not legality. In this situation common sense could have prevailed, but as per usual, government being involved made it difficult.

There was a period of time before there was state issued drivers licenses and photo ID, so the notion of not being able to live without it isn't that farfetched. During my grandpa's lifetime he could have bought a gun through the mail and had it shipped right to his house without ever leaving his home. What a time to be alive.

I can't imagine leaving a DL or a State ID Card or any TYPE of identification card including your LIBRARY CARD in a VEHICLE (Truck, car, etc.) instead of putting it INSIDE of your WALLET which should be in a secure place - your purse, fanny pack or in your pocket.

I think that it is foolish NO matter how 'safe' you THINK that your home or business location is. Rural or not.

It is reckless and an invitation for ID THEFT and tons more.

NO offense but it is your fault that you screwed up and not the store's fault since the store has to obey the 'firearm laws' or they will be OUT of business and/or IN JAIL.

Where I used to live and out here - I never had any so called waiting time to buy my NIB guns. The entire process took LESS than 5 minutes. And that goes for a slow writer and as a Newbie in buying guns. Paper filled out and a telephone call for the NICS CHECK. Even less TIME minutes wise for my late husband who had a top secret military clearance, etc. They called it in (NICS check.) back there since there was NO CCW in my former state when I lived there.

I never heard of an FFL man who did not need to SEE and HOLD a DL or State ID Card UP close and personal when you fill out your Form 4473 no matter HOW WELL he KNEW YOU and even if you bought 15 some guns from the same man (Store owner's son.) in the same store for 2 to 3 years = me.

Out here, they LOOK at your carry permit and honor that too.

Some states that USED TO HONOR THE PERMIT now HAVE TO CALL IT IN even though your permit IS and was valid. Those firearm laws did change in SOME but not all states.

Out here in MT, my husband shows his DL and his concealed weapons permit at the same time even though they KNOW HIM and he does this with BOTH cards when he buys a firearm. They do not call it in if you have your permit. But many states did change their LAWS when it comes to that issue from what I have read HERE and elsewhere.

Regarding photo ids and how it USED TO BE:

My late 'Aunt' Catherine did NOT have a PHOTO ID card. She did not drive due to her eyesight and some physical issues. She did TRY to drive when she was a young lady but it did not work out for her. She took lessons.

She managed to get along all of her life with NO photo id card.

I would NOT suggest this now but I am saying how it used to be. She was born in 1918. My Mom was born in 1920 and my Dad in 1909.

And that went for when she was admitted to a hospital 2 to 3 times in her life even though she did have PRIVATE INSURANCE and a MEDICARE CARD later on in life.

She graduated early from a special famous HS (TOP and limited admission in NY state.) like my Mom who was her best friend for her entire life (HS and on.). They did NOT have photo id cards there.

She was our family lawyer and was one of only two women in her law school - FORDHAM in the late 30's to early 40's. When she moved to MD after WW2 - she took MORE classes at Johns-Hopkins, etc.

She practiced law in NY, MD, DC and one other state (CT?) and had all of her CARDS and other information in her wallet. Banking and all of that STUFF but she NEVER had a photo id card that I SAW. Plus from what she told me. NO photo id card by some official .gov source.

She was NEVER ASKED FOR ONE! She did have her BANK CARDS when she went into a bank by FOOT. One YOUNG teller got snippy with her in the 1980's or so and my Aunt pulled out all of her cards plus her SIGNATURE for her checks and other accounts could NOT be imitated and she told the snippy woman to get a manager. The manager agreed with my Aunt and she told him that if it ever happened again with ALL OF HER PROOF - she was going to leave that bank and move it all to one other bank. She had been with them since the late 40's!

She FLEW a lot, she took tons of trains, she traveled around the country from the East Coast to the West Coast and in between to VISIT ME too! She was never asked for a PHOTO ID CARD to fly until that time in 1996 when she was in a W/C and WEAK while I was traveling with her and was her MEDICAL POA too. She appointed me and I had the paperwork to SHOW THIS that I was her MEDICAL ONLY POA. She had her 2 OLD LAW PARTNERS and their wives come to her HOME while I was closing EVERYTHING UP and doing everything that she ASKED ME TO DO from a to z. They WITNESSED IT ALL - signed, sealed and delivered, etc. ADDED MORE here.

And since she NEVER got a DL - her LEARNING to drive permit must have expired or whatever they had in the late 30's and on in NY. She worked for the government in NY - criminal law and they were SHORT of lawyers during WW2 time. She hated criminal law compared to other law work.

She did NOT have a STATE ID CARD (Photo.) but she DID HAVE A REQUIRED VOTER ID CARD. That was one that I did know about because when I was in MD visiting her after I got married and moved away, sometimes I DROVE her to the polls. So she had her Voting ID Card from the late 40's when she moved to MD from NY and when she became a partner in her law firm - early 50's and on. The OLD NY Voter ID Card got cut up.

VOTING ID CARDS were common to see especially if you had to change your address. She moved 4 times total in the state of MD from the late 40's to the middle of the 90's.

I believe in VOTING ID CARDS.

When I had to move her at her request to my former state, she moved in with my late husband and me, she was in a W/C with her little dog in a carrier and me holding her BRIEFCASE, her purse, MY briefcase and my purse, etc. The tickets were bought by her over the telephone. I already had mine but the dates were changed.

The airline almost would NOT let her fly or board the plane even though she was in a W/C and everything was SET with the doctors, my older brother who took us to the airport, and with TONS and I MEAN TONS of her ID CARDS and tons - files of her MEDICAL RECORDS which the doctor gave me in the morning of that day of our flight. One of many visits made by the doctor to her home and to his office.

I FOUGHT with the new rules or whatever they asked for her in the MIDDLE 90'S. I told them that they NEVER ASKED ME FOR AN ID CARD OR DL CARD and her tickets were bought by HER using HER AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD over the telephone. I was HOLDING HER BIRTH CERTIFICATE and all of her lawyer cards to you name it and they ALMOST did not let her GET ON the freaking airplane YET they NEVER ASKED ME FOR 'MY DL' and I had flown quite a bit too. BWI Airport which was where I landed when I went to MD. There had been a blizzard going on in MD and in my former state so it was NUTS to finally get her law office downtown, her home office and her home closed up during that time frame but I did it for her.

She was ready to fight them but she was WEAK and I was ready to MAKE A BIG SCENE until I got some other person in charge to let her ON THE PLANE which they did.

She had MORE STUFF ON HER LEGAL WISE from a to z and her entire lifetime plus private MEDICAL information too. SEALED and stamped everything plus her birth certificate and you NAME IT.

So in the OLD DAYS, a person could LIVE THEIR LIFE with NO photo ID including buying property and SELLING PROPERTY and doing tons of BANKING at your old banks. PLUS the OLD SS CARDS said that they were NOT to be used FOR personal identification.

I pushed the SEND button too early by mistake. Typos and added more.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
Yes, I had to suck up a wasted trip. 2 hours. But not to rant.

All opinions aside, I'd still like to know if there is RCW for requiring physical ID for delivery of firearm. Not purchase/transfer but delivery after waiting period is up.

ATF does indicate that government issued ID is required for purchase/transfer but couldn't find anything specific to delivery there after.

Just curious.
Just a "guess" but my guess would be there probably is not on a State level. The last couple hand guns I bought it was after the Feds had told WA they were done helping so we lost the ability to walk in and walk out. Everyone had to go on the wait for the state to say OK. The dealers "can" let the gun go after 10 business days if they have not heard a denied or delayed. The FFL I used has known us from the time they opened and they just let the guns walk after the 10 . Now most will not do this. I really can't remember if they asked for my ID again at pick up, they may not of but, they know us too. Even if there is no state law requiring it I can't see any FFL doing it with the way the WA AG is so damn anti gun.

It would seem if you had already paid for something, and gone through all the necessary paperwork to obtain said item, picking it up later without all of that documentation would be a matter of formality and not legality. In this situation common sense could have prevailed, but as per usual, government being involved made it difficult.

There was a period of time before there was state issued drivers licenses and photo ID, so the notion of not being able to live without it isn't that farfetched. During my grandpa's lifetime he could have bought a gun through the mail and had it shipped right to his house without ever leaving his home. What a time to be alive.
In the late 70's I was on a property I managed one night. Beer in hand,4 Police swoop up on me. Turns out the place I was standing two people were drunk, one had called someone said they were going to kill the lover and themselves, blah, blah. So of course when the boys in blue see me they were on full alert. As soon as I told them who I was they calmed down and 3 of them went to see the drunks. I had a Mil surp 1911 on me. After the LEO's were done with the drunks one spotted it. Asked if he could "hold it" till they were wrapped up, I of course said no problem. LEO ran both me and the pistol. When he went to hand it back to me he said "sir this says United States Property on it, where did you get it?" I asked him how long he had been a Cop, which kind of seemed to bother him. I said until 1968 you could buy these through the mail, its Gov surplus. He just handed me my gun back. The other 3 LEO's were giving him eye rolls at how he was acting. :s0092:
I just figured he was one of those LEO's who did not like the "common folk" having guns.

In the late 70's I was on a property I managed one night. Beer in hand,4 Police swoop up on me. Turns out the place I was standing two people were drunk, one had called someone said they were going to kill the lover and themselves, blah, blah. So of course when the boys in blue see me they were on full alert. As soon as I told them who I was they calmed down and 3 of them went to see the drunks. I had a Mil surp 1911 on me. After the LEO's were done with the drunks one spotted it. Asked if he could "hold it" till they were wrapped up, I of course said no problem. LEO ran both me and the pistol. When he went to hand it back to me he said "sir this says United States Property on it, where did you get it?" I asked him how long he had been a Cop, which kind of seemed to bother him. I said until 1968 you could buy these through the mail, its Gov surplus. He just handed me my gun back. The other 3 LEO's were giving him eye rolls at how he was acting. :s0092:
I just figured he was one of those LEO's who did not like the "common folk" having guns.
Some people are so ignorant of history it is hardly worth talking to them. It's a travesty how ignorant people are despite it being easier than ever to get information.

I bet that the 10 day waiting time to pick up a gun in some states including in WA state has NOT stopped crime at all.

I would love to see some honest statistics to show that it has helped.

I do not think that it has helped.

LOOK at all of the reports with REAL PROOF, not some false allegation BS story, that have been made on whacked out and/or violent criminal behavior when it comes to SOME kids, SOME teens and SOME adults and the JUSTICE SYSTEM and SJW bleeding heart liberals let things GO or slide on by.

Including in some school systems when Obama passed that law and program when it came to some kids/teens. People let the kids/teens NOT have any marks on their records because they wanted their schools including at PARKLAND to have a good record and MORE FUNDING. This goes on all over the country.

Meanwhile, the borders are WIDE OPEN, they pass out legal Rx drugs that cause harm to little kids, teens and adults - turn them into ZOMBIES or make them more CRAZY, they made DANGEROUS illegal drugs legal, they LET proven/confessed murderers and criminals NOT pay for their MURDERS and other crimes, the so called HOMELESS and dope fiends and drunks get AWAY with their animal like and PIGGISH behavior and tons more.

They let so much GO ON BY - ignore it or NO punishment is given to the criminals from flash mobs, rioting, destruction of private and public property, arson, violent assaults, etc.

So until the ENTIRE justice system and JURIES start to give out REAL PENALTIES to violent criminals including VIOLENT so called 'crazy' criminals AND the death penalty to ALL MURDERERS who were given a fair trial whether they CONFESSED or not... the criminals and the MURDERERS know that some SALAMI EXCUSE will be made for them from their Mommy toilet training them too early or whatever.

So tell me how ALL OF THESE GUN LAWS including the 10 day waiting deal stops crime?!

Old Lady Cate

I bet that the 10 day waiting time to pick up a gun in some states including in WA state has NOT stopped crime at all.

I would love to see some honest statistics to show that it has helped.

I do not think that it has helped.

LOOK at all of the reports with REAL PROOF, not some false allegation BS story, that have been made on whacked out and/or violent criminal behavior when it comes to SOME kids, SOME teens and SOME adults and the JUSTICE SYSTEM and SJW bleeding heart liberals let things GO or slide on by.

Including in some school systems when Obama passed that law and program when it came to some kids/teens. People let the kids/teens NOT have any marks on their records because they wanted their schools including at PARKLAND to have a good record and MORE FUNDING. This goes on all over the country.

Meanwhile, the borders are WIDE OPEN, they pass out legal Rx drugs that cause harm to little kids, teens and adults - turn them into ZOMBIES or make them more CRAZY, they made DANGEROUS illegal drugs legal, they LET proven/confessed murderers and criminals NOT pay for their MURDERS and other crimes, the so called HOMELESS and dope fiends and drunks get AWAY with their animal like and PIGGISH behavior and tons more.

They let so much GO ON BY - ignore it or NO punishment is given to the criminals from flash mobs, rioting, destruction of private and public property, arson, violent assaults, etc.

So until the ENTIRE justice system and JURIES start to give out REAL PENALTIES to violent criminals including VIOLENT so called 'crazy' criminals AND the death penalty to ALL MURDERERS who were given a fair trial whether they CONFESSED or not... the criminals and the MURDERERS know that some SALAMI EXCUSE will be made for them from their Mommy toilet training them too early or whatever.

So tell me how ALL OF THESE GUN LAWS including the 10 day waiting deal stops crime?!

Old Lady Cate
Even the lawmakers who come up with this crap know full well it does NOTHING to slow down criminals. They don't care.🤬

All opinions aside, I'd still like to know if there is RCW for requiring physical ID for delivery of firearm. Not purchase/transfer but delivery after waiting period is up.

ATF does indicate that government issued ID is required for purchase/transfer but couldn't find anything specific to delivery there after.

Just curious.
This is another case of signing legal documents without reading the forms your signing. Most people do as you do, and the small minority actually read the form.

Section D.JPG

ETA this is a screenshot off the directions portion of the 4473 form that you fill out and sign. Not an RCW---

This is another case of signing legal documents without reading the forms your signing. Most people do as you do, and the small minority actually read the form.

View attachment 1294133

ETA this is a screenshot off the directions portion of the 4473 form that you fill out and sign. Not an RCW---
Yep. Thats federal not state. The dealer would have been not only negligent giving him the firearm but he'd also be breaking federal law.

Well, let us know what you find when you are done combing through the RCWs.

When I was a kid my dad paid us an allowance. If you did not have belt in your pants or your wallet - your allowance was waived. It taught us to get up and dressed each day. The military took over where my dad left off.I cannot imagine leaving the house without my wallet for any reason. Just me.
You're not alone. I know it's a military thing but I have a huge pet peeve when I see men with pants on who aren't wearing a belt. If it has belt loops you should automatically be wearing a belt. Haha.

In WA they will let you get by with the picture of the license if you get pulled over and forgot it. Same with the proof of Insurance. A photo of it works now. I keep both on my phone for just this reason. I have a few times run out of the house, got to the store, then realized I left my damn wallet at home. 🤬
Keep enough cash in the phone case to pay for the stuff now for just that reason since I may forget my wallet but I sure don't leave home without my damn phone any more. :D
This is why I keep a dup in a business card case in my pocket

Just curious.
I can't say if it's a law for an FFL to always check ID before handing over a gun but It's one thing I always did

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top