JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently purchased a new pistol and provided physical ID at time of purchase for the filing of all the requested forms/paperwork. Got notification at day 8 that BC cleared and pistol was ready for pickup. Drove roughly an hr to the big box store where I purchased the pistol. I drove a different rig than what I normally do so didn't have my wallet on me 🙄. Didn't think about it until I got to the counter after waiting for my spot in queue and was asked for my ID. Hmm, I thought.

I pulled up my phone and provided a front and back clear color photo document of my Washington issued drivers license and provided certified documentation of my current address from the WA DOL. I was denied delivery of my hand gun because I did not have my physical ID on me and left to make my hr long drive back home. What a waste of time!

Regardless of the fact that I didn't have my wallet or physical ID with me….

Where does it state in RCW where physical ID is required for delivery of a firearm purchase?

Where does it state in RCW where physical ID is required for delivery of a firearm purchase?
It may not be law, but I think it's very reasonable for them to require it as store policy. Imagine the crap they would face if they handed over a firearm to the wrong person.

Physical ID also has anti forgery elements that a photo doesn't. Photoshop is a real thing.

Kinda sucks having a 2hr trip for nothin, but to be fair, you shouldn't have been driving without your license on you to begin with, right? Live and learn!

Recently purchased a new pistol and provided physical ID at time of purchase for the filing of all the requested forms/paperwork. Got notification at day 8 that BC cleared and pistol was ready for pickup. Drove roughly an hr to the big box store where I purchased the pistol. I drove a different rig than what I normally do so didn't have my wallet on me 🙄. Didn't think about it until I got to the counter after waiting for my spot in queue and was asked for my ID. Hmm, I thought.

I pulled up my phone and provided a front and back clear color photo document of my Washington issued drivers license and provided certified documentation of my current address from the WA DOL. I was denied delivery of my hand gun because I did not have my physical ID on me and left to make my hr long drive back home. What a waste of time!

Would you be upset with a state trooper because of the sheite-show you would have gone through had you been pulled over while driving w/o your DL, because YOU forgot to carry it?

;)

I would fully expect any FFL who did not know me personally to do the same thing. In WA state you can now get away with not having your license on you if you have a photo of it. Reason the LEO can use that to run it and make sure. An FFL? I have no idea if they "had" to have it but, I would very much doubt any would let the gun walk if you did not have it to hand them. You really leave it in your vehicle? If so this is probably not a wise thing to do.

Physical licenses have security devices that are needed these days. As do currency. I could myself easily doctor a photo of a license by substituting a pic of me for the one in the license. Accepting a photo of an ID when picking up a gun makes about as much sense to me as accepting pictures of money in payment for it.

Federal statutes requires dealers to properly ID the transferee and lists what can be used for that ... namely government issued ID such as a passport or DL etc. Your photo is not valid ID.

I don't know about state statutes on this but I'd be amazed if there was none.

I think you f'ed up not the store. You make a two hour road trip without a driver's license. That to me is incomprehensible. That is against the law. No sympathy here.

like I said…

I'm glad I gave everyone a good chuckle! 😂

I live out a ways, in an area where I've never had to worry about leaving my wallet in my rig. I normally have it with me in the rig that I regularly drive but ended up taking the van and didn't think about not having my wallet on me until I got to the store! Surely wouldn't have been a good time had I been pulled over for some reason!

like I said…

I'm glad I gave everyone a good chuckle! 😂

I live out a ways, in an area where I've never had to worry about leaving my wallet in my rig. I normally have it with me in the rig that I regularly drive but ended up taking the van and didn't think about not having my wallet on me until I got to the store! Surely wouldn't have been a good time had I been pulled over for some reason!
In WA they will let you get by with the picture of the license if you get pulled over and forgot it. Same with the proof of Insurance. A photo of it works now. I keep both on my phone for just this reason. I have a few times run out of the house, got to the store, then realized I left my damn wallet at home. 🤬
Keep enough cash in the phone case to pay for the stuff now for just that reason since I may forget my wallet but I sure don't leave home without my damn phone any more. :D

In WA they will let you get by with the picture of the license if you get pulled over and forgot it. Same with the proof of Insurance. A photo of it works now. I keep both on my phone for just this reason. I have a few times run out of the house, got to the store, then realized I left my damn wallet at home. 🤬
Keep enough cash in the phone case to pay for the stuff now for just that reason since I may forget my wallet but I sure don't leave home without my damn phone any more. :D
I have a credit card shoved between my phone and the case.

When I was a kid my dad paid us an allowance. If you did not have belt in your pants or your wallet - your allowance was waived. It taught us to get up and dressed each day. The military took over where my dad left off.I cannot imagine leaving the house without my wallet for any reason. Just me.

so you come here to rant when you were in the wrong?
Yes, I had to suck up a wasted trip. 2 hours. But not to rant.

All opinions aside, I'd still like to know if there is RCW for requiring physical ID for delivery of firearm. Not purchase/transfer but delivery after waiting period is up.

ATF does indicate that government issued ID is required for purchase/transfer but couldn't find anything specific to delivery there after.

Just curious.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads