JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't trust them, but I don't see that practically happening. The logistics are not in their favor. The best way to confiscate them would be to ban the sale first and then work on confiscation a couple years afterwards … just like California did. I don't think they'll get the support they need to jump the staircase. They need to take it one step at a time.

Assuming they retain control in November and the next election two years away, what is stopping them from exercising any of their totalitarian fantasies. Not one friggin thing that's what, and in two years all the sheep will be asleep. Again.

PORTLAND, Ore. -
Governor Kate Brown announced Friday "Oregonians United to End Gun Violence," a plan to address gun safety in Oregon and across the country.

Gov. Brown set to announce gun safety agenda
Here's the rest of her news release, in full:

Governor Brown was joined by Rep. Suzanne Bonamici, D-Ore., Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill, faith leaders, advocates for gun safety, and more than 30 other community leaders from across Oregon to call for an end to gun violence.

"Since I was sworn in as governor 17 months ago, more than 600 Oregonians have died from violence inflicted by a gun," Brown said. "Violence answers nothing, offers nothing, solves nothing. If we want to end violence, we must instill hope and create opportunity. I call on each of us, as Oregonians and as Americans, to join this call to end gun violence now."

Brown will take immediate action through executive order to strengthen existing Oregon law, giving Oregon State Police and local authorities more tools to track and analyze gun transactions. These tools can be used in the prosecution of illegal firearms sales and help to keep guns from falling into the wrong hands.

Additionally, Brown's executive order establishes a new work group to review and assess firearms-related domestic violence offenses. The work group will make recommendations for a statewide policy that enhances the safety of domestic violence survivors.

The executive order also directs the Oregon Health Authority to report annually on gun violence and its effect on public health, and when warranted, recommend polices to increase gun safety in Oregon.

Brown also committed to working with the Oregon Legislature during the 2017 session to pass critical gun safety measures. The following three legislative priorities were outlined by Governor Brown:

Close the "Charleston Loophole." In Oregon, if the state police are unable to determine a person's eligibility to purchase a firearm within three days, current law requires approval of the sale of the firearm. Governor Brown will prepare legislation that will make sure individuals who should not own a gun are not able to obtain one simply because authorities were unable to complete the background check within the current timelines.
Close the "Boyfriend Loophole." By expanding the types of relationships that qualify under "domestic violence" charges, those convicted of certain crimes of domestic violence and stalking will no longer have access to firearms.
Ban extended-capacity magazines. Outlaw the future purchases of extended-capacity magazines in Oregon. This type of ammunition enables individuals to fire repeatedly without the need to reload and significantly increases a shooter's ability to injure and kill large numbers of people.
With support from Senator Wyden and Congresswoman Bonamici, Governor Brown also called on Congress to act now to pass national firearms safety legislation in a letter to Oregon's congressional delegation.

"Every day in the United States, 22 people die from homicidal gun violence," Brown said. "I urge Congress to ban assault weapons and strengthen anti-terrorist legislation by passing the common sense 'No Fly, No Buy' ban."

Supporters of Governor Brown's "Oregonians United to End Gun Violence" plan include representatives from the following organizations:

Everytown for Gun Safety
Gun Owners for Responsible Ownership
Americans for Responsible Solutions
Ceasefire Oregon
Oregon Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
Volunteers of America Oregon
Oregon Health & Science University
Basic Rights Oregon
Q Center
A transcript of Governor Brown's remarks is available here.

We will add or post separately full statements from those reacting or responding to the governor's announcement.

---

Oregon Alliance for Gun Safety Commends Governor Kate Brown's Plan to Stop Gun Violence

Portland – Oregon Alliance for Gun Safety President Jenn Lynch released the following statement today in response to Governor Kate Brown's Oregonians United to End Gun Violence plan to reduce gun violence:

"Gun violence is a daily tragedy here in Oregon, taking lives and causing irreparable harm to the community. Today's announcement by Governor Brown is an important milestone in reducing gun violence, underscoring the shared commitment by our political leaders to not let this state sit passively by while our residents die in senseless violence. The steps proposed will have a significant impact in reducing gun deaths, building on the important work we've done to strengthen our background checks system and keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals. The Oregon Alliance for Gun Safety looks forward to working with Governor Brown, our legislative and congressional champions, and people from across the state to adopt these proposals and make our communities safer."

I'm a bit surprised at this too. One would think that they would wait until after the election to announce their plans for new gun controls. Especially since the legislature does not convene until January. Maybe this means that nothing extreme is being planned? One can only wonder about what will be announced today.

On another note, does anyone know if the NO MORE FAKE EMERGENCIES initiative qualified for the November ballot??

They have no reason to worry. They are likely completely comfortable that they will sweep the election this year and win another majority in the House, Senate and Governor's races. The fight against SB941 by gun owners was fairly apathetic. And it seems too many folks in this state are just fine handing over formerly R held seats to D's. That's how we got SB941 and that's how they'll get the next batch. Too many people here in Oregon don't care enough about their gun rights to vote these people out.

I hope for the best in November, but I am preparing myself for the worst.

Reading that again, it's an outright BAN on magazines and then goes on to say that future sales will be prohibited.

"Ban extended-capacity magazines. Outlaw the future purchases of extended-capacity magazines in Oregon."

Reading that again, it's an outright BAN on magazines and then goes on to say that future sales will be prohibited.

"Ban extended-capacity magazines. Outlaw the future purchases of extended-capacity magazines in Oregon."

I wonder if THAT will be enough to wake up Oregon gun owners. Of course to touch some of the non-voting hunters, they'll need to ban 4-round magazines too.

She specifically mentioned "future purchases".

Well, but that is what they did in California initially too.

This is just the first step. Once new sales are banned, they will eventually go after new sales of semiauto rifles. And once they are banned for new sales, they will eventually come back to outlaw possession of both the mags and the rifles, just like they did in California.

It is all a strategy of death by a thousand cuts. They will slowly nick and chop away at gun rights, until they reach their eventual goal.

They have seen that this kind of game plan worked in California. So why not use the same strategy here in Oregon?

By doing things more gradually, I think that they are hoping that they can eliminate any significant blowback from the public. People will have no choice other than to surrender and comply with the law.

I wonder if THAT will be enough to wake up Oregon gun owners. Of course to touch some of the non-voting hunters, they'll need to ban 4-round magazines too.

Like your hunting rifle isn't next. Hunting does not exist anywhere in the Constitution or any of the Amendments. It won't be the single shot slug or black powder guns (which is what they will mandate for safety reasons) that will be the problem, but the atrocious act of hunting will violate vegan feelings. Sounds ridiculous now, but think over what has happened in just a few short years so far.

Whatever you value will be stripped away so they can remake it the way they want.

Like your hunting rifle isn't next. Hunting does not exist anywhere in the Constitution or any of the Amendments. It won't be the single shot slug or black powder guns (which is what they will mandate for safety reasons) that will be the problem, but the atrocious act of hunting will violate vegan feelings. Sounds ridiculous now, but think over what has happened in just a few short years so far.

Yet I've spoken to a number of 'hunter only' gun owners that don't care about the rest of the restrictions. So long as they can keep their 4-round bolt gun for taking their game, that's all they care about. They won't come to rallies. They won't support pro-gun groups. And they'll vote against pro-gun folks without giving it a second thought. Some of our supposed 'brothers in arms' are our own worst enemies.

Now, if she would have mentioned a lead bullet ban, or maybe hunting rifle ban, you can bet they would get involved. By the time she gets to that, she'll have already wiped out our other rights.

Erm, the "extended" magazine allowed the nightclub shooter to keep going without giving anyone a break to get help/intervene? Pretty certain the killings slowly took place over the course of a few hours.

I have a feeling that the ONLY thing Gov. Brown and her freedom hating friends are going to accomplish is to create a bunch of 'criminals' all around the state that won't turn in a single damn thing. She will create a massive black market for guns and magazines and will accomplish exactly SQUAT for stopping supposed "gun violence".

Please Oregon, for the sake of all that is good and right, vote pro-gun this November and send these losers packing. I don't think there has ever been an election in this state where this has been more important.

No, I think that you are completely misinterpreting that. It is just going to be a ban on future sales. Which means this is our last year to buy high cap mags here in Oregon.

Here is some other text that was released:

"Ban extended-capacity magazines. Outlaw the future purchases of extended-capacity magazines in Oregon. This type of ammunition enables individuals to fire repeatedly without the need to reload and significantly increases a shooter's ability to injure and kill large numbers of people."

I'm confident that if possession was being outlawed, that there would be language making that most clear.

Our one and only hope of stopping this from being past next year is if the NO FAKE EMERGENCIES initiative qualified for the November ballot, and we can get it past in the election.

But the fate of this most crucial initiative here in Oregon appears to be in limbo. Does anyone have any idea what its status is??

I don't think there has ever been an election in this state where this has been more important.

This election will only matter if the NO FAKE EMERGENCIES initiative qualified for the ballot. That was easily the most important thing for gun owners to get mobilized about this year.

If gun owners failed to get that initiative qualified for the ballot, then I see zero chance of winning seats away from the Democrats in the Senate, which is the only other thing that could potentially stop these bills from passing next year. The Democrats need to lose a minimum of two seats in the Senate, in order for there to be any chance at all of stopping this legislation,

There appears to be a direct hotline between Salem and Sacramento. Brown 1 and Brown 2 were both at the podium at the same time for the same purpose. Anyone got cable cutters ?

Don't get confused over talking points at a rally and actual proposed legislation. They can and will add whatever they please. As we've seen in the past, they don't care one bit about popularity among the great unwashed gun totin' hillbillies. Expect to see outright bans of standard capacity magazines, not just future purchases.

This election will only matter if the NO FAKE EMERGENCIES initiative qualified for the ballot. That was easily the most important thing for gun owners to get mobilized about this year.

If gun owners failed to get that initiative qualified for the ballot, then I see zero chance of winning seats away from the Democrats in the Senate, which is the only other thing that could potentially stop these bills from passing next year. The Democrats need to lose a minimum of two seats in the Senate, in order for there to be any chance at all of stopping this legislation,

Didn't make it. We. Are. Screwed.

07/15/2016 Signature verification halted. IP 2016-049 does not contain a sufficient number of signatures to continue and will not appear on the November 8, 2016, General Election ballot. Of the 26,000 signatures reported by chief petitioners for the supplemental submission, 23,972 were accepted for verification.

http://egov.sos.state.or.us/elec/web_irr_search.record_detail?p_reference=20160049..LSCYYY.

Didn't make it. We. Are. Screwed.

07/15/2016 Signature verification halted. IP 2016-049 does not contain a sufficient number of signatures to continue and will not appear on the November 8, 2016, General Election ballot. Of the 26,000 signatures reported by chief petitioners for the supplemental submission, 23,972 were accepted for verification.

Please Contact Us (http://egov.sos.state.or.us/elec/web_irr_search.record_detail?p_reference=20160049..LSCYYY).

Damn :(

Oregon voters/residents are really disappointing me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top