JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a few months ago my Colt Gold Cup broke the lug on the barrel and I sent it back. Everything was covered under warrantee and I bot a tack driver back that put my TRS to shame. So today I traded it
Here's a pic with my custom made grips

So, what did I trade it for?
I couldn't help it... I picked up a 6" 629 smooth cylinder with just a slight trace of a mark on the cylinder AND a S&W 19-3 4" blued with a faint hint of holster wear on the end of the barrel but almost no mark on the cylinder.
Both are dang near virgin tight...

So, how did I do? The LB cost me $1539

DSCF2088_zpsoozndrfx.jpg DSCF2090_zpskeiafulk.jpg

Financially speaking, if neither have the box, you are maybe $100 on the short end. If either do, closer to break even. Probably 800$ for the 629 and 600$ for the 19. But I love the Smith's. Those are two definitely desirable guns moving the right way on the value scale. I probably would have done the trade in your position as well.

Shoot you did just fine. Your LB wasn't worth what you paid for it. They never are. The financial difference is negligible and you pulled two very sweet wheel guns. I'd say kick back and try not to grin too hard.

You did good. The 19-4 is about as accurate as you can get in a medium weight revolver and the 629? Well let's just say Dirty would get a chubby looking at it.
Make no mistake the Baer is pretty hard to beat for a 1911 but I've owned a few Gold Cups and they were all rock solid dependable and superbly accurate, don't know what to think about your barrel lug?

Financially speaking, if neither have the box, you are maybe $100 on the short end. If either do, closer to break even. Probably 800$ for the 629 and 600$ for the 19. But I love the Smith's. Those are two definitely desirable guns moving the right way on the value scale. I probably would have done the trade in your position as well.

Look on gunbroker or anywhere else for a smooth cylinder 629... If it were a normal 629 the deal never would have happened. The TR sells new for $2200+ but I got it right. It still was flawless when I sold it 500 rounds later (with the addition of the grips I made)
Bang for buck I'm thinking I came out well ahead on the deal;)

Regardless of whether we agree on the prices/values, like I said, I would have done that deal as well. I think the value trajectories on those two wheel guns are going up where that 1911 would probably stay about where it was.

However you want to argue it (I've come across several smooth cylinder 629's, but I have several friends who are S&W whores) you did just fine! Enjoy shooting those two!

Everything I've seen on gunbroker aren't smooth cylinders... The few that I can find are 1K+
Condition? I know I did good :D
I have 2 other 1911's (1 that that Colt has gone through) that are every bit as good if not better! I know my Gold cup is more accurate:eek::eek:o_O;)
I sold my King Cobra about 18 months ago and I have regretted it ever since. I nabbed a nice 19-3 4" as well. Heck yes I'm pleased! :D:D:D:D

I think you did just fine! Certainly close to even on either side, above or below. Are you into revolvers or is this a newer thing?
The grips on the LB are beautiful!:)

Well if you like what you traded for you did good.I'm a sucker on trades,especially 2 for 1 trades.
So is the 629 actually 6" or 6,3/8,whatever? If it's at 6"s then the value goes up a little as S&W doesn't put out even inch barrels for mass production.Only special models
But I don't know if the 2 are worth $1500.
Man a look at GB shows they are worth well over the trade value.Now I didn't get into the advanced area to see what has actually sold,but the asking prices ,I must say,are kinda ridiculous.

I think you did just fine! Certainly close to even on either side, above or below. Are you into revolvers or is this a newer thing?
The grips on the LB are beautiful!:)
I sold a mint Colt King Cobra to a member here so I'm not new to revolvers but I regret selling that Colt.
I've wanted a replacement for a while and these guns are in beautiful shape. The 44 mag is 6" (I just measured) and the .357 is a 4" Both are pre-lock
Yup, GB wants stupid money for them especially the unfluted cylinder!

I made the grips on the Les Baer out of black Walnut. One of these days I'll take a pick of the other grips I've made;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top