Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Got pulled over with guns in the car.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by tlfreek, Jul 11, 2011.

1. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

This really isn't post worthy, but since it was my first experience here I thought I would share since I've read different experiences on this.

Yesterday I was driving to TCGC to do the action range (which was awesome BTW) and I rarely wear my seat belt in my truck because of a bad motorcycle crash I had a few years ago (bone shattered plated etc). Anyway the belt crosses my chest in a way that rubs on where the staples went and it hurts - hence I rarely wear it. Anyway I pass the cop - pulls a quick u turn and I know why and whats gonna happen. I was thinking this ought to be interesting with guns in the car ammo everywhere etc. I am newly CWP holder so I knew I wasn't breaking the law - it was what he was going to do when he found all this out that I was bit nervous about.

lights on, I pull over - walks up and says what I knew he was going to say about the seat belt. I responded told him what I posted up above and then I said BTW I am a CWP holder and I have loaded weapons in the car. Do you want to see my permit. The cop goes uh. well.....ah ok. acted like it was no big deal.

walks back runs me comes back gives me a warning and, first time, asks me how I pronounce my last name - and then we chatted about how I can get a seat belt waiver.

anyway - nothing happened, good experience - guy was doing his job and I didn't experience any of the horror stories I've read about. :thumbup:

tjpickett and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Sorry about the accident, but you are still risking your life. :hitwithrock:

Have you tried seat belt pad? or Belt stopper? (it's not recommended but, it reliefs the tension and avoid getting a tickets)

3. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

I risk my life every time I get behind the wheel. :) honestly the DOT waiver will take care of the ticket thing. just got to get it done. had no idea there was one.

4. YelloEye

YelloEye Snohomish County Member

there's a waiver? How?

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a friend who works at a silk screen shop, and he printed a tee shirt with an image of a seat belt that crosses over the left shoulder down to the right hip. Problem solved.

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Doctor waiver

MEDICAL EXEMPTIONS:
    ORS 811.220 The Director of Transportation shall issue a certificate of exemption under ORS 811.215 for any person whose behalf a statement signed by a physician is presented to the Department of Transportation. For a physician's statement to qualify under this section, the physician giving the statement must set forth reasons in the statement why the use of a child safety seat system, or safety belt or safety harness by the person would be impractical or harmful to the person by reason of physician condition, medical problem or body size.

A safety restraint exemption cannot be issued for commercial drivers per Federal Code 392-16

Faxes can not be accepted. Please send in ORIGINAL copies only.
    waiver form .......http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/Seatbelts/Seatbelt_Exemption2.pdf

lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  7. krkruse

krkruse Salem area Active Member

This is awesome... Ha, Glad he let you off with a warning, I swear some cops are just total jerks. We need more good cops.

8. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

Do you have airbags in your truck? Maybe just a waist belt w/o should strap. I have hung around with too many EMTS. Did not wear a helmet when I road a MC in the LA area, do now, but I had sport cars so I always wore a seat belt. One EMT stated, I have never unbuckled a dead body from a car. Cricky, it is dangerous out there.

Great story, hope you get the seat belt thing figured out.

9. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

My 28 year old daughter was heading over to Prineville res. to do some crappie fishing recently. I gave her a S&W .38 air weight for her 21st birthday and she had elected to take it along with her. She is well versed in firearms and has been since a child and has taken more Deer, Elk and bear than most men I know.
    She had the unit unloaded, in an open carry on the backseat of her dodge Dakota in the hard case, which was open. A young deputy pulled her over just west of Govt. camp for a tail light that was out. All's well until he asked if she had any weapons in the vehicle, to which she honestly replied yes, there's pistol on the back seat. It went to a full blown felony stop from there, hands on the ceiling and weapon drawn. This young man held her in this position while he radioed for back up, which arrived in the form of two cruisers from the Sandy police dept. They took over an hour to arrive, Im not sure why he wasn't assisted by other county deputies, but this is besides the point. After she was removed from the truck she gave consent to search the vehicle, which she didn't have to do. At this time I received a call from her and she explained what was happening. I asked her to hand the phone to the LEO that was the senior in charge, after several minutes I spoke to the officer and asked if there was a problem and if any laws had been broken? He replied that as far as he knew, none had. I explained that she was heading over to fish with our family friends for a four day trip and that she was well within her rights in the state to carry her weapon, to which he agreed.
    I thanked him for his candor and he replied that he would make sure she was on her way. This could have turned out worse, the "young" deputy went directly for his weapon, which I can understand his apprehension, it was dark, and he was alone. That said, "she" was obviously also alone in the truck and this could, should have been handled differently. This was a legal citizen that was traveling to take in legal activities who was held at gun point by a nervous young man for a very long time for having a tail light out, which she wasn't issued a ticket for?? She is a very pretty young lady that didn't fit the description of thug, mug or gang member, yet she was treated in this manor. So just a word of warning, its like old Forrest said,, life is like a box of chocolates,, you never know what your going to get.

10. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

^ Yikes, I'd file a complaint with the officer's PD and let them know they need to review their procedures for legally carrying citizens.

11. HollisOR

Thats ^^^ or talked to the Sheriff. Kudos on Salmonriverjohn's daughter. The deputy should have a nick name, nervous ned. He probably should look for different work.

12. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

To the OP, that was nice of the officer for being knowledgeable about the laws. Some cops are oblivious to our rights and go crazy once they see a gun(or guns) in someone's car. I'm glad that cop nice to you. For me, i've had several bad experiences; however, not were firearms related. ^^^To SalmonRiverJohn , wow that's pretty crazy! I'm glad it ended okay and towards the end, when you mention that it was dark outside, it definitely makes you think differently the second time you read it. Definitely a waste of your daughter's time though.

13. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I did just that drew. I elected not to file a formal complaint, but sent them a hand written letter from my daughter that described the events that transpired and the officers name. It was replied to with an assurance that the situation would be reviewed and that the actions taken that night would be in their words "rectified". We tease her now about it with the nickname of MA Barker that has stuck, before that it was "cowpie annie" but that's another story and one that Im sure she would appreciate me keeping off this post, it sort of involved a face plant while hunting, but thats as far as I'll go. I can only imagine what kind of guff the young LEO took from the assisting officers when they showed up to a felony stop of a 140 lb 5'8'' 28 year old brunette with a cargo box full of highly suspicious camping and fishing gear!

14. HollisOR

John, hopefully the least that happens to the deputy is a worse hazing than being called Ma Barker.