JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And in what way was the cop lying?

By telling OP Oregon is a must-inform state. Given the rising popularity of CCL's I'd bet he went through some training telling him it isn't, but he lies to intimidate the plebs and for "officer safety", whatever that means.

Either that or he is exceptionally dumb. That's also a possibility.

I believe the police officer will know you have a CHL when he runs your drivers license. They will usually ask you if you have a firearm or not, and I believe they are allowed to ask this for officer safety reasons. It's in your best interest to answer truthfully, many policemen are good at reading people. The police officer may disarm you during the traffic stop, again for officer safety. Different police officers might handle the situation in different ways but having a good attitude about it well help the interaction. You can advise the police officer you have a CHL when you first get pulled over or simply hand him your card, then answer yes/no when he asks if you have any guns, to get that out of the way first. If you didn't want to be asked about your carry permit and guns in the car, you probably shouldn't have got a CHL.
Go bubblegum yourself!

By telling OP Oregon is a must-inform state. Given the rising popularity of CCL's I'd bet he went through some training telling him it isn't, but he lies to intimidate the plebs and for "officer safety", whatever that means.

Either that or he is exceptionally dumb. That's also a possibility.

I don't like internet pissing matches so I'm going to give my one and only .02 here. You can have the last word but I hope you'll think on this.

No- Oregon is not a state the requires informing upon initial contact with the police. Where you're dead wrong is that is NOT an excuse to lie and the officer has every right to ask if there are weapons present if he has reason to believe so. If you want to make it a pissing match with the officer after that be my guest.

I know you have some sort of chip on your shouder about LEOs but here's a couple thoughts:
1. There is a on poll on this very forum that shows 91% of beat officers supporting RKBA. From my personal experience I every reason to think that number is pretty spot on. I'd just ask you to think about that the next time you're feeling like pitching bubblegum at an LEO. Do you really want to alienate a group that might have some sway over the politicos vs. us poor peons?
2. Don't like speeding tickets? Don't speed. Don't like the speed limit? Get involved and get it changed. Likely they're giving tickets in that area because of complaints. Trust me - they will move on to other fishing holes when the complaints stop and/or the fish stop biting.

^

I said he *can* lie and it's legal. I didn't say he *should* lie. My preferred response is either dead silence or "none of your damn business", take your pick.

LOL @ "don't like the law, get it changed". If CONgress passes an AWB, would you say, "Don't like no-knock SWAT raids at 2am by 15 armed goons with itchy trigger fingers? Don't own any guns".

By the way, I personally have not gotten a ticket in years from my workplace speed trap. It doesn't change the fact that the cops are smug thieves following orders to steal from people who don't know the lay of the land.

When I worked at a LEO in North Carolina, NICS was linked to your drivers license/Registration/CHL. That was years ago, but it would tell you all your needed to know, wants/Warrents etc. We then had to call it in to dispatch and they would run it all for you. Also, because I am sure there is some NC Fort Bragg boys and girls in here, in NC and VA, when they ran your plates, it linked with your license and you knew before getting out of the cruiser that the owner had a CHL. But also it law that they must declare they have a weapon when the LEO is approching. I still to this day declare when approched, its for his/her safety and mine. Accidental branishing of a weapon can go south really quick. As for most LEO's, they are on our side anyways. My CHL and NRA card has gotten me out of a lot of tickets, and also allowed me to carry my knife in the Homeland Security Bldg downtown portland when watching a citizenship ceremony.

Sure can:

youtube.com/watch?v=uAgQKJuriIo

For God's sake will somebody please think of civilian safety!

And here again too, fun starts at 3:11
Motorcycle pulled over by unmarked car without police lights, driver (LEO) comes out with firearm and doesn't immediately identify self
Cop Draws Gun On Biker For Speeding - YouTube
Why he pulled a gun, I have no idea.

Another here, being caught in a "check point" while carrying, long, but it gets tense.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here again too, fun starts at 3:11
Motorcycle pulled over by unmarked car without police lights, driver (LEO) comes out with firearm and doesn't immediately identify self
Cop Draws Gun On Biker For Speeding - YouTube
Why he pulled a gun, I have no idea.

Another here, being caught in a "check point" while carrying, long, but it gets tense.

I don't know why he pulled, but I was not there, remember friends, 3 sides of every story

He may have been wrong but such a bunch of smart a&* people. Everyone hates cops till they need one. They are public servants, first thing I ever learned in the Acadamy.

I didn't need one this morning and I didn't need the ticket he wrote to confiscate my money.

This guy sure as hell didn't need one:

The murder was ruled justified, of course.

I have to ask, cause I really don't care about watching a thousand videos about cops being wrong. Being one early in my professional life, I will tell you the job sucks, why, well you do it for a week and tell me how easy it is....but, what happened this morning? You call the thieves, following orders, so I guess your respect for military is the same?

Dmancornell, I read all your post on here, wow, you hate police. I am sorry you had bad interactions. I worked 2 1/2 years as a city cop, 2 as a military cop, never stole a thing, gave ticket, never had a quota tho, felt like pulling someone over for speeding was the right thing to do, took a bullet in the side of my vest once in a drug raid, that guy was a winner, 13 year old boys and girls selling for him...but the police are bad?

No you can't. Lying is a very fast way to become a felon. Say that your lawyer has warned you to keep quiet.

This.

Go pay a lawyer for a few minutes of his/her time. Ask that lawyer if he/she believes that you are required to answer that question. Take the lawyer's card with you.

If the lawyer tells you that you must answer, well, there you go.

If the lawyer tells you you don't have to answer... If you ever have an officer ask you if you are carrying a weapon, and you don't want to say 'yes', answer "On advice of my attorney, I decline to answer that question." (or similar.) Prepare to be told to get out of your car and searched. (Oregon is an "if they have reason to pull you over, they have authority to search you" state; but that's another fight.) Prepare to be given the maximum ticket for whatever you are being accused of doing, with every piddly little extra that can possibly be thrown on. If anything you did could *POSSIBLY* be construed as a misdemeanor, prepare to be taken and booked, and your car towed away.

It's that simple - if you want to antagonize a police officer, you must be prepared to accept the consequences of a police officer abusing his/her authority. Yes, you may be able to file a wrongful arrest lawsuit after the fact - but that doesn't help you in the moment.

Remember, most police officers are just hard-working folks who want to get home safely to their families. The majority are not trying to screw you over. They spend most of their day dealing with low-lifes and criminals. Of course they're suspicious. About everything. When they stop being suspicious is when someone takes advantage of them and they get injured or killed.

Yes, there are power-hungry cops out there too. But if you treat them *ALL* like dirt, they'll treat you like the rest of the dirt they deal with daily right back.

If you aren't trying to start a fight with the officer, just answer the question and be done with it. Unless you are legally prohibited from owning/possessing a firearm, or are actively in violation of firearms laws at the moment (carrying concealed without a CHL,) you have nothing to lose by answering truthfully. If the officer asks "where are you going?" it's true you don't have to answer. But as long as you don't say "to my buddy's house to buy drugs," it doesn't matter what you say. They're just using interaction to gauge if you're "suspicious". If you answer truthfully and simply, they won't hassle you. Same with asking if you have a firearm. I won't answer any questions that will get me in trouble ("Did you know you just ran a stop sign?" will be met with silence,) but anything else reasonable, I'll answer, because keeping the officer at ease just helps me get through the encounter faster and more easily. (And every time I've been issued a warning instead of a ticket has been when I was fully cooperative.)

Dmancornell, I read all your post on here, wow, you hate police. I am sorry you had bad interactions. I worked 2 1/2 years as a city cop, 2 as a military cop, never stole a thing, gave ticket, never had a quota tho, felt like pulling someone over for speeding was the right thing to do, took a bullet in the side of my vest once in a drug raid, that guy was a winner, 13 year old boys and girls selling for him...but the police are bad?

Implying the existence of bad people justify the abuses of modern policing techniques and the actions of its jack-booted adherents.

In any case, you stole for the state by writing tickets. Legalized theft is still theft.

Implying the existence of bad people justify the abuses of modern policing techniques and the actions of its jack-booted adherents.

In any case, you stole for the state by writing tickets. Legalized theft is still theft.
How is fining someone theft? How do you suppose we punish people who does not abide by laws set by the people? When your child or friend or whatever is hurt or killed by someone speeding, or running a red light, tell me how your going to feel? I am guessing your a complete libertarian that believes everything should be self regulated, or you believe you do no wrong.

I have respect for you Mountianbear and agree with most of what you say. I have respect for LE as a whole but respect is a two way street. It should not always be about making the LEs life less stressful, what about ours? Sometime people are pulled over or messed with by LEOs when they feel they have done nothing wrong and dont feel like being messed with. Maybe the cops should think about that too. Goes both ways.

I would give them my CHL if I had one and tell them if I was carrying up front. I would not want to give a stranger my firearm, cops included. I would if i had to but would not like it.

I guess the moral of the story is don't put yourself in a situation that gets you pulled over.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top