JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was spoiled and grew up around my fathers Kahr K40, Colt Python, and 1911. For some reason I always loved the way the 1911 shot and felt in my hand. Well I finally got a hold of my Great Grandfather's 1911. It was sold it another family member, but now its back in the blood line. My father is also glad that I will no longer be borrowing his :s0114: . I had my fingers crossed that it would be an original World War II era gun, but after some research it is a World War II slide on an aftermarket aluminum frame. The frame was made by AR Sales Co. which when I googled I found they made aftermarket frames for 1911's in the 60's and 70's. Probably when my Great Grandfather got the gun. What I need help with is should I attempt to track down a period correct frame for the gun? Or leave it and just enjoy it as a shooter? It has the correct US Army holster, surplus military ball ammo, and a gunnysack. Oh and I will try to get some pictures of it up.

What I need help with is should I attempt to track down a period correct frame for the gun? Or leave it and just enjoy it as a shooter?
The likelihood of finding a period correct frame in good condition, without a complete gun wrapped around it, would be pretty low... and truth be told, if you bought something that was all original and matching, it would be worth far more than what you have now.

Better to leave it be as is... after all, if your great grandad replaced the frame, he may have had a good reason. For example, maybe he wanted it as a carry gun and decided an ally frame would make it a bit easier to pack.

If you must replace the frame, replace it with a modern forged frame from a reputable company. A quality ally (or steel) frame made today will be far superior to what you have now... both dimensionally and metallurgically.

If it's reliable and passes all safety tests, shoot it and enjoy. Watch the feed ramp... if you have feeding problems and/or the frame is getting battered, get a <broken link removed> and have it fit by a reputable gunsmith... machining required.

That's it... ciao,
C

Dont use standard magazines. The point on the follower can dip forward and damage the feed ramp on an alloy gun. Stay away from the magazine on the left in my picture. Go with the other two type magazines with rounded faced follower, or better yet use plastic like the Willson for alloy 1911's. If you need to replace the feed ramp then I would likely go with a new barrel with feed ramp built into it. An area of the frame will need to be removed to make room for the ramped barrel. Their are places that work on 1911's that do this kind of work. Not cheep but it could save an expencive 1911 in some cases. The insert talked about above, may cost less and be a good option. It could be used to save a cheeper gun. Cost would be much less as you won't need to buy a new ramped barrel. But with an insert it is posible it could become loose or fall out.
Below are pictures of a WWII colt 1911 on the left and an alloy Dan Wesson 1911 to the right. The Dan Wesson alloy frame is cut to take the barrel with feed ramp built it.
Dont replace your frame. It is the gun! Everything else is a part. And to find a Military 1911 frame will cost much more than a comercial frame. If not what you want, then sell the gun and buy a new gun. At one time surplus WWII military slides were cheep. Thats probibly why your gun has one. Look for cracks in the frame and slide. Look closely near the slide stop hole in the frame. Read up on the frame and see if they are known to have any problems. Even pay a gun smith to give it a clean bill of health. He may sugest some work or part fiting to help the gun run better. 1911's are not like a Glock. They have parts that need to be tuned. Like the bend in the extractor. And shape/fit of the safety and slide stop. Remember it is a frankengun! Not a bad thing if done wright. But a potential problem if bad parts were poorly fit, or used because they were cheep. People will weld a gun together from two halves that were cut apart just to make a buck. Be suspicious! But if your gun is safe then just enjoy it for what it is.

Medic, Thanks for the tip about the magazines. Not trying to hijack the thread here. I have a 1911 for sale here with the AR Sales alloy frame and Ithaca frame. Mine functions fine. Ken

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top