Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Got my 1911 back from Springfield today, but I have questions...

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Joe Link, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Here was my original issue:

So I got it back from the factory today and the test target (shot after they replaced the barrel) looks like:

Now, I understand that it was at 25 yards, but shouldn't it be shooting groups closer to the center of the target? What would cause the group to be so low and to the right? I sent it back because it wasn't shooting straight and from the looks of this target, it still isn't. Now, I also noticed on the paperwork it says:

Their troubleshooting is confusing me. If the gun was shooting off center and they found a problem with the barrel, wouldn't they replace the sight and sight it in before range testing it to make sure it was the barrel? How would they know it was the barrel unless the sights were properly adjusted? Can someone please explain this to me? I plan on calling them on Monday, but I'm really curious :)

2. Zeke Menuar

Zeke Menuar Oregon Monsoon Central Member

Different weight ammo shoots to a different point of aim.

Granted the test target doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Take it out and see how it shoots for you. You might be surprised.

3. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

I have a older Colt 1911 the rear sight is dove tailed to the slide and with a little persuasion it can be drifted right or left, if my groups were right of center I would drift the rear sight to the left. As far as the elevation problem I would shoot a variety of bullet weights, at 10, 15 and 25yds if the gun is still shooting low I would get a taller rear sight or shorter front sight, or file down the front sight.

4. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Bring it on the 27th, let's have at it then and see what it's doing.

5. Margana

Margana Portland, Oregon Member

They likely have enough experience (I hope) that they would install the front sight a bit to the right (to make the POI left) and use a lower front sight to bring the POI higher.

Again, the reason it took over 3 weeks is that the techs have very limited range time. If they made the changes and tnen range tested the gun again, you'd be complaining about the 6 weeks....

Go take her out and shoot her (bench rest).

I think you we be pleased....

I don't think the techs are stupid....My Taurus PT 145 was returned to me with a really nice test target, the group was nicely centered and tight (but took almost 8 weeks!).

Oh...and likely the reason for replacing the barrel; they figured it was a cheap part and would likely eliminate a variable. The test target shows the barrel and frame are OK; they are producing a tight group. The adjustment of the sights is a minor thing.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  6. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

Yes and let me shoot it... but you bring plenty of ammo!
    :thumbup:

7. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I never go to any training with less than a 1,000

8. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Says the guy who hasn't bought ammo in 20 years :flip:

9. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Low and to the right is usually from flinching, or too much hand movement while squeezing the trigger, since its the way the hand moves.

10. Margana

Margana Portland, Oregon Member

Most right handers shoot low and LEFT as there is relatively less resistance to flexing (at the wrist) versus extension. Also, the factory TT would have been obtained at bench rest, presumably by an experienced tech....

Anyway, Joey....SHOOT the gun and let us know!