Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Got an urge for a old (maybe repro Single shot

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Normb263, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Normb263

Normb263 Graham WA New Member

Most of my shooting is non big-game oriented ( other than the dangerous "big five" ground squirrel). Have several rifles and pistols to support that insanity. I have an urge to build-buy something in a old style single shot in the 2500-3000 FPS category. Looked at a lot of choices in the repro lines and some of the new varieties. What's your experience and education tell you to do if you were me. Thanks!

2. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

try a handi rifle by nef

3. Normb263

Normb263 Graham WA New Member

Good thought Torpedo . Narrowing it down a little be more, I think I want a falling block or rolling block probably in .22 cal. Looked at all the "big buck" reproductions of high and low walls. I'm thinking maybe a Martini cadet actionmostly because they have real history attached. Need some help on a useful caliber in the 2500 FPS area. Thanks!

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Try to find yourself an old Stevens Crackshot. Savage/Stevens reintroduced them several years back and I've seen some of the really old ones at gun shows. We're not talking scorching speed, but they are fun rifles.

5. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine down in Plano TX takes old BSA Martini actions and converts them into high steppin' centre-fires of the .218DW variety, as well as others of that ilk. Conversion from rim to centre-fire is a cinch, he says, and HE should know.

Over here in yUK a good Martini action, usually with a complete gun attached, can be had for around $75 or less. One dealer I know sends between 40 and 60 over to the USA every month - saves them getting converted into razor blades.

There are boat-loads of wildcats that do a good job on groundhogs out to 300 yards that can be based on this extremely fast-firing action.

tac

6. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Does he have a website where we can check some his stuff out?

7. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It kinda' sounds like you're looking for a "fun gun". If so, you should check out any decent copy of an 1885 Winchester (Browning, Uberti and others) falling block in .45-70. You'll be able to get into the fps zone you're looking for, especially if you hand load. Also, you can easily shoot black powder if you like.

The same guns are found in bottleneck rifle rounds that hit the upper end of your fps request.

They are a whole lotta' fun.

8. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

Nossir, he's just an ordinary[but highly-skilled] joe who does things like this for the love of doing it.

Do you want me to contact him for ya?

tac