JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought it from Impact Guns. $286 after shipping and FFL fees. It had a fairly unattractive copper mica stock, but after sanding the mould lines off and laying on some paint, mounting a Leupold VX-2 on Warne rings and Butler Creek flip caps I am a happy guy. Now to dial it in and go look for a buck.

IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG

That's true, plus it's a new gun and who doesn't like getting a new gun? It ain't fancy but as long as it's able to land rounds on target It's good enough. Plus cheap gun means no worries about it getting scuffed up, unlike my Browning A Bolt Medallion.

We have been seeing the Glockification of hunting rifles over the last ten years. Function over form. I remember when Tikka came out with the T3 and its plastic bolt shroud and trigger guard. It was blasphemy. Now, Tikkas are on the fancy side.

Look at Winchester. How many times will they sell the name and continue to go out of business trying to make Model 70s? Ask 1000 hunters nationwide to define control-round-feed. No one gives a damn anymore.

Look at Winchester. Ask 1000 hunters nationwide to define control-round-feed. No one gives a damn anymore.

Not sure I buy this part of your post, but mine isn't a Winchester.

The "Glockification" is a great way to put what's happened in the rifle world. Rifles made the way it was done post WWII and exhibiting machined steel and wood are expensive. A new take on building rifles has really brought the price down while retaining reliability. Some of them are even getting "good looking". The OP's done a nice job with his American, but I was looking at a stainless American compact the other day. Kinda liked what I saw. May have to buy one just to play with it for a while.

Not sure I buy this part of your post, but mine isn't a Winchester.

The "Glockification" is a great way to put what's happened in the rifle world. Rifles made the way it was done post WWII and exhibiting machined steel and wood are expensive. A new take on building rifles has really brought the price down while retaining reliability. Some of them are even getting "good looking". The OP's done a nice job with his American, but I was looking at a stainless American compact the other day. Kinda liked what I saw. May have to buy one just to play with it for a while.

Its mainly an example of how many different companies have bought the name and have tried to make that rifle a commercial success. Is the M70 a fantastic rifle? Yes. Is it commercially feasible? Not the way they used to make them. There is so much lore regarding pre-64s that you will never build a new M70 that has the same appeal, regardless of the quality when it comes to people who still like well-crafted rifles.

Remington got it right with the M700. Take a steel tube and machine it into an action, wedge a washer between it and a barrel and make the extractor and locking lugs easy to match up. Then coin some cool ideas like "three rings of steel" and throw in a new cartridge called the 7mm Magnum. I dont think the 700 is nearly as well crafted as an M70, but its so much easier to build.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Funny thing with rifles, my fun guns are nicer models and get all the love. My hunting guns on the other hand, the ones I actually depend on, can be cheaper and get abused. As long as they hit the mark it's all good. Maybe my priorities are backward.

I have a RAR in .308, with one buck taken with it. It shoots MOA, and there's no reason to believe yours won't either. "Gun snobs" turn their noses at the "budget wonders"... but you can put a round right in their nostril from 100yds. easily if you do you part once it's dialed in to your scope.

IMG_0360.JPG

I have a RAR in .308, with one buck taken with it. It shoots MOA, and there's no reason to believe yours won't either. "Gun snobs" turn their noses at the "budget wonders"... but you can put a round right in their nostril from 100yds. easily if you do you part once it's dialed in to your scope.

View attachment 392199
Totally agree. I have the same rifle and it shoots the poo outta the other bunch I own. Well maybe except for a CZ in .270.

OK so have any of you owned one in 5.56 / 223 and used it extensively?
My nephew is considering one, he needs the soft shooting round as his shoulders and arms were busted up pretty bad in a M/C accident, and he's not a kid any more.
Good and bad features and accuracy reports as well please.
Thanks,
Gabby