JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My original email was simply asking him to support and endorse the national Reciprocity resolution (HR822) Here is his response.

Dear Mr. Shoemaker,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding firearms permits. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, Representative Cliff Stearns (R-FL) introduced the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act (H.R. 822) on February 18, 2011. This legislation would allow any person with a valid, state-issued concealed firearm carry permit to carry a concealed handgun in any other state. This bill would not create a federal licensing system, but require states to recognize another state's carrying permit. Currently forty-eight states have laws providing for concealed carry of handguns in some cases; only Wisconsin and Illinois state laws prohibit concealed carry of firearms by civilians under any circumstances.

Opponents of this bill argue it should be up to each individual state to set their own laws and eligibility requirements and not in the hands of the federal government. Opponents also contend the bill would force states to allow a person to carry concealed weapons even if he or she would be banned from possessing firarms under state law – thus the bill allows the weaker laws of one state to nullify the restrictions on concealed carry in other states. H.R. 822 was referred to the House Committee on Judiciary for further review. Rest assured, I will keep your thoughts in mind and give this bill thorough consideration should it come before the full Hose of Representatives for a vote.

As a law enforcement officer for 33 years, I realize in a very personal sense just how dangerous weapons are in the wrong hands. I am concerned about the violence that results from criminal use of firearms and the incidence of criminal possession of firearms. However, I believe the best way to deal with crime is not to limit the availability of firearms to law-abiding citizens, but to enforce our laws to ensure that criminals do not obtain weapons in the first place and are penalized for their misuse. These criminals must be held accountable to our laws.

I believe Congress has a responsibility to ensure that legislation holds up to Constitutional scrutiny, and I am a strong defender of the Second Amendment, which permits citizens to keep and bear arms. I look forward to working with my colleagues in Congress to help find effective ways to prevent armed criminal activity without violating the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to get in touch with me. Your interest and input are valued and I hope to hear from you in the future regarding other matters of importance. I encourage you to visit my website and sign-up for my monthly e-newsletter at Congressman Dave Reichert - US House of Representatives to learn more about other issues impacting the 8th Congressional District and our nation. You can also follow my work online and receive frequent updates on legislation being considered in Congress by visiting me on Twitter (Dave Reichert (davereichert) on Twitter) and Facebook (Congressman Dave Reichert | Facebook).

Sincerely,

David G. Reichert
Member of Congress

Please DO NOT REPLY to this e-mail because it was sent from an unattended mailbox. If you'd like to reply, please send a response via my website, Congressman Dave Reichert - US House of Representatives. Thank you for your help in making sure I receive your important communications.

Seems like he didn't answer the question of whether he supports it or not, just like a dang politician. You will have to wait and see how he votes to find out if this "respect" of the 2nd amendment is just hot air. Good luck.

That's funny I got two open end emails from my congresswoman and representative when I voiced
My opinion on the hi cap mag ban going threw congress... Unfortunately I already know where her vote lands but every voice counts. :p

What the ****?!! I thought Ted Kennedy was dead. Looks like he's alive and living in the evergreen state.
Good answer.
"I believe in bull bubblegum and horse bubblegum, and feel strongly about sheep bubblegum. I also believe in donkey bubblegum when it sticks to the roof of my mouth."
Yeah, politician!

The proposed reciprocity law violates the constitution big time. If it's passed it will be struck down on tenth amendment grounds the same way the brady bill was.

As much as I like the idea of national reciprocity, forcing states to do it is flat unconstitutional. The feds can't do this.

Personally, I don't want the Feds involved in anything that doesn't affect foreign policy or defense. They are only group that can consistently screwup an Iron ball with a wad of cotton.

Its a nice idea but yeah I think it violates the 10th ammendment, not that its stopped Congress before. If that could pass muster, then Sen. Boxer's "Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act of 2011" aka bill S.176 which wants to mandate permit requirements across all states could too. Keep the Fed out of it because odds are they'd make things worse than they already are.

US Constitution
Article IV Section 1
"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State tothe public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved and the Effect thereof."

US Constitution
Article IV Section 1
"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State tothe public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved and the Effect thereof."

You need to read up on full faith and credit. It doesn't' apply to licenses and never has. It applies to business contracts, judgements by courts in other states (i.e. if you're sued in Montana and move to Washington, you don't' have to be sued all over again in Washington, the judgement stands) and warrants for arrest.

I know it seems like this applies but it doesn't, and no, this isn't a recent development.

Seems like he didn't answer the question of whether he supports it or not, just like a dang politician. You will have to wait and see how he votes to find out if this "respect" of the 2nd amendment is just hot air. Good luck.

He probably put a watch on ole rshoemaker for even asking a dumb question like that.

Reichert's real response would go something like "What is your address so zee troops can come and confiscate your guns?"
I don't believe he's much for the public even having guns.

I'd guess if Congressman Reichert would support the National Reciprocity Act he'd be one of it's co-sponsors. Could not find him in this <broken link removed>.

By the way, Oregon Representatives DeFacio, Schrader and Walden are on the list.

Co-sponsors count as of 8/29/11: 242

The congresscritter's response included this unfortunate line:

and I am a strong defender of the Second Amendment, which permits citizens to keep and bear arms.

Not quite Sparky, it is a natural RIGHT and not a suggestion or something we need a government's permission to have

I'd guess if Congressman Reichert would support the National Reciprocity Act he'd be one of it's co-sponsors. Could not find him in this <broken link removed>.

By the way, Oregon Representatives DeFacio, Schrader and Walden are on the list.

Co-sponsors count as of 8/29/11: 242

Surprised that many OR reps support this.

The congresscritter's response included this unfortunate line:

Not quite Sparky, it is a natural RIGHT and not a suggestion or something we need a government's permission to have

That's why it's part of the Bill of Rights. Too bad a lot of Congress can't figure that out.

C'mon guys, we can't have it both ways. One of the best things happening in this country right now is that some states are pushing back at the feds, claiming states' rights and 10th amendment. Look at Arizona over illegal immigration, and Montana over guns made wholly there, and the recent court ruling that the feds can't force anyone to buy health insurance.

I don't think the feds have any constitutional right to tell any state what it can or can't do with it's gun laws, beyond having the SC rule that 2A is the law as they did in DC.

Now, if the SC was to rule that no state can infringe on a person's right to keep and bear, that would be great, but I want congress to keep it's nose out of states' business.

If you carefully read the letter from the congressman, that's essentially what he's saying. He said:

"Opponents of this bill argue it should be up to each individual state to set their own laws and eligibility requirements and not in the hands of the federal government. Opponents also contend the bill would force states to allow a person to carry concealed weapons even if he or she would be banned from possessing firearms under state law – thus the bill allows the weaker laws of one state to nullify the restrictions on concealed carry in other states."

And

"I believe Congress has a responsibility to ensure that legislation holds up to Constitutional scrutiny..."

The proposed reciprocity law violates the constitution big time. If it's passed it will be struck down on tenth amendment grounds the same way the brady bill was.

As much as I like the idea of national reciprocity, forcing states to do it is flat unconstitutional. The feds can't do this.

OH What about the health care bill????

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads