Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Got a response from Congressman Reichert on National Reciprocity

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by rshoemaker, May 10, 2011.

1. rshoemaker

rshoemaker Downtown Seattle New Member

My original email was simply asking him to support and endorse the national Reciprocity resolution (HR822) Here is his response.

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Seems like he didn't answer the question of whether he supports it or not, just like a dang politician. You will have to wait and see how he votes to find out if this "respect" of the 2nd amendment is just hot air. Good luck.

3. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

That's funny I got two open end emails from my congresswoman and representative when I voiced
    My opinion on the hi cap mag ban going threw congress... Unfortunately I already know where her vote lands but every voice counts. :p

4. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

What the ****?!! I thought Ted Kennedy was dead. Looks like he's alive and living in the evergreen state.
    Good answer.
    "I believe in bull bubblegum and horse bubblegum, and feel strongly about sheep bubblegum. I also believe in donkey bubblegum when it sticks to the roof of my mouth."
    Yeah, politician!

5. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

The proposed reciprocity law violates the constitution big time. If it's passed it will be struck down on tenth amendment grounds the same way the brady bill was.

As much as I like the idea of national reciprocity, forcing states to do it is flat unconstitutional. The feds can't do this.

6. enjr4

enjr4 Renton, WA Active Member

Personally, I don't want the Feds involved in anything that doesn't affect foreign policy or defense. They are only group that can consistently screwup an Iron ball with a wad of cotton.

7. Browning55

Browning55 Seattle-Everett Area Active Member

Sure takes those people in congress a lot of words to say nothing.

8. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

Its a nice idea but yeah I think it violates the 10th ammendment, not that its stopped Congress before. If that could pass muster, then Sen. Boxer's "Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act of 2011" aka bill S.176 which wants to mandate permit requirements across all states could too. Keep the Fed out of it because odds are they'd make things worse than they already are.

9. rshoemaker

If it violates the 10th amendment then is reciprocal drivers licenses also a violation?

10. Misterbill

No, because the federal government doesn't require states to have reciprocity.

11. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

US Constitution
    Article IV Section 1
    "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State tothe public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved and the Effect thereof."

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Misterbill

You need to read up on full faith and credit. It doesn't' apply to licenses and never has. It applies to business contracts, judgements by courts in other states (i.e. if you're sued in Montana and move to Washington, you don't' have to be sued all over again in Washington, the judgement stands) and warrants for arrest.

I know it seems like this applies but it doesn't, and no, this isn't a recent development.

13. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

I am pretty sure someone teaches a class for freshman congressclowns on how to say a lot of stuff an not answer a question.

14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

He probably put a watch on ole rshoemaker for even asking a dumb question like that.

Reichert's real response would go something like "What is your address so zee troops can come and confiscate your guns?"
    I don't believe he's much for the public even having guns.

15. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I'd guess if Congressman Reichert would support the National Reciprocity Act he'd be one of it's co-sponsors. Could not find him in this list.

By the way, Oregon Representatives DeFacio, Schrader and Walden are on the list.

Co-sponsors count as of 8/29/11: 242

16. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The congresscritter's response included this unfortunate line:

Not quite Sparky, it is a natural RIGHT and not a suggestion or something we need a government's permission to have

17. rshoemaker

Wow I have not been on here in a while, I moved to the PRK in june. I should get back on here every once in a while.

18. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Surprised that many OR reps support this.

That's why it's part of the Bill of Rights. Too bad a lot of Congress can't figure that out.

19. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

C'mon guys, we can't have it both ways. One of the best things happening in this country right now is that some states are pushing back at the feds, claiming states' rights and 10th amendment. Look at Arizona over illegal immigration, and Montana over guns made wholly there, and the recent court ruling that the feds can't force anyone to buy health insurance.

I don't think the feds have any constitutional right to tell any state what it can or can't do with it's gun laws, beyond having the SC rule that 2A is the law as they did in DC.

Now, if the SC was to rule that no state can infringe on a person's right to keep and bear, that would be great, but I want congress to keep it's nose out of states' business.

If you carefully read the letter from the congressman, that's essentially what he's saying. He said:

"Opponents of this bill argue it should be up to each individual state to set their own laws and eligibility requirements and not in the hands of the federal government. Opponents also contend the bill would force states to allow a person to carry concealed weapons even if he or she would be banned from possessing firearms under state law – thus the bill allows the weaker laws of one state to nullify the restrictions on concealed carry in other states."

And

"I believe Congress has a responsibility to ensure that legislation holds up to Constitutional scrutiny..."

Misterbill and (deleted member) like this.
  20. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

OH What about the health care bill????