JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a C&R license several years ago and bought and sold a few C&R rifles and handguns. Anyhow, I get an email today from DOJ that they are doing a trace analysis on a Yugoslavian SKS I purchased back in 2002 and want to know if I still have it.

I called them and they said Law Enforcement has asked for a trace on this rifle and that is all they could tell me. I had sold this rifle and gave them the name and address of the C&R holder who got it back in 2004, thanks to my bound book I had the info.

My question. Should I be worried? Is this routine? What is the deal?

Thanks!

If you didn't break any laws in the transfer of the weapon, I wouldn't sweat it. I know a great attorney ( firearms specific ) in Portland if you want some legal advice, don't think I would call him if I was in your shoes though.

Hmmm... I don't believe ANY government agency does official work (like this) via email. Call an established DOJ line with whatever case number or reference number and see if its legit that way.

If you bought it then sold it and it's all documented, you have nothing to worry about... If it IS A LEGIT inquiry.

Hmmm... I don't believe ANY government agency does official work (like this) via email. Call an established DOJ line with whatever case number or reference number and see if its legit that way.

If you bought it then sold it and it's all documented, you have nothing to worry about... If it IS A LEGIT inquiry.

I thought the email part was beyond strange as well.... I thought the .GOV was closed... Only the parks and monuments I guess...

Are you required to report such info if asked?
Or do they have to come and check out the physical info?

Wish they couldn't get any of our info out of C&R and FFL dealers like that..
All the more reason to stick to private sales. :/

I called their direct line and got their headquarters. Then I asked to be transferred to the extension. It was legit. The agent was using email for contact.

NO

<broken link removed>

Q: Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition/disposition records to ATF if their collector's license is not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity?
No. The GCA requires the delivery of required records to the Government within 30 days after a firearms "business" is discontinued. A license as a collector of curios or relics does not authorize any business with respect to firearms. Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed collectors under the law and regulations are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collectors' licenses are not renewed or collecting activity under such licenses is discontinued.
[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4), 27 CFR 478.127]
I thought your bound books go to the ATF when your C&C License is up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

If you are mandated to reply, they you don't have a choice, because following the law wouldn't be optional. IF you have a choice, I would be reluctant to give any information. But I sure wouldn't tell someone to violate the law in an area regarding firearms...hence the IF you have a choice comment.

They were happy with the information I gave them and I am not going to dwell on it any more. It is in the hands of the other C&R holder I transferred it to now.

NO

<broken link removed>

Q: Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition/disposition records to ATF if their collector&rsquo;s license is not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity?
No. The GCA requires the delivery of required records to the Government within 30 days after a firearms &ldquo;business&rdquo; is discontinued. A license as a collector of curios or relics does not authorize any business with respect to firearms. Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed collectors under the law and regulations are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collectors&rsquo; licenses are not renewed or collecting activity under such licenses is discontinued.
[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4), 27 CFR 478.127]

Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk -

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR