JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've done 150 rds tonight and going to start 100 more. Hornady LnL AP.

It's faster (*) but wow, the amount of concentration it takes is a lot more intense than single stage. This makes me believe starting with a single stage really is good advice, though I know many have started with progressives. I do have the RCBS lockout die setup and working but still, I'm used to loading powder into 200 to 500 cases then looking into each with a flashlight to see each one and so I'm getting some anxiety about squibs, though I do watch the stem of the lockout die move every time and so far, it has (nor has it locked me out). Maybe I need to get a pedestal or something because in my current position, I can't see into the case.

In my first set of 50 I missed a primer and since I'm using cast bullets coated with Alox, that was sort of a mess when it fell into the bin. Also missed placing a bullet a couple times but figured that out before dumping powder (I'm seating and crimping separately already deprimed and sized cases so I have the expander in position 1 -- this gives me two chances to see I forgot a bullet). Anyway, by the time I go to bed I'll be chanting in my sleep: "powder [watch the lockout die stem move correct ammount], prime, brass, bullet -- powder, prime, brass, bullet -- powder ..."

(*) I wasn't so concerned about speed -- just wanted to reduce the number of strokes because of elbow and shoulder issues.

You get the hang of it, it'll save you a ton of time. But the concentration has absolutely got to be there even more so than with a single stage.

Glad to hear you're getting your feet wet!

And keep an eye on your powder. You'll go through it in a hurry and if you aren't paying attention you'll put bullets in empty cases.
Ask me how I know...:oops:

I've done 150 rds tonight and going to start 100 more. Hornady LnL AP.

It's faster (*) but wow, the amount of concentration it takes is a lot more intense than single stage. This makes me believe starting with a single stage really is good advice, though I know many have started with progressives. I do have the RCBS lockout die setup and working but still, I'm used to loading powder into 200 to 500 cases then looking into each with a flashlight to see each one and so I'm getting some anxiety about squibs, though I do watch the stem of the lockout die move every time and so far, it has (nor has it locked me out). Maybe I need to get a pedestal or something because in my current position, I can't see into the case.

In my first set of 50 I missed a primer and since I'm using cast bullets coated with Alox, that was sort of a mess when it fell into the bin. Also missed placing a bullet a couple times but figured that out before dumping powder (I'm seating and crimping separately already deprimed and sized cases so I have the expander in position 1 -- this gives me two chances to see I forgot a bullet). Anyway, by the time I go to bed I'll be chanting in my sleep: "powder [watch the lockout die stem move correct ammount], prime, brass, bullet -- powder, prime, brass, bullet -- powder ..."

(*) I wasn't so concerned about speed -- just wanted to reduce the number of strokes because of elbow and shoulder issues.
Rig up a mirror or a gooseneck camera thingy you plug into your phone and some led's to see down into the case better..

Rig up a mirror or a gooseneck camera thingy you plug into your phone and some led's to see down into the case better..

Inline Fabrication makes all kinds of brick-a-brack and gizmos for a wide range of reloading equipment such as you suggest.

Here's the Hornady line...

Part of setting up the lockout die is to try it with an empty case, each time you set up, and make sure it locks the press. I also put an intentional double charge in a case, and make sure it locks on that, too. Sorry to belabor the point, if you already knew that. Pretty good tool, I need to get a second one for .45, since the different sized plastic covers for the foot are hard to get on and off. On my LnL, I can also see a typical charge in the case, just have to sit a little closer... haven't needed the camera or light options yet, although a camera on the inside of the case feeder might be nice.

Part of setting up the lockout die is to try it with an empty case, each time you set up, and make sure it locks the press. I also put an intentional double charge in a case, and make sure it locks on that, too. Sorry to belabor the point, if you already knew that.Pretty good tool, I need to get a second one for .45, since the different sized plastic covers for the foot are hard to get on and off. ....

I actually read the instructions for that part. ;) But yeah -- I'm pretty paranoid about powder so I watched some videos and tested the action. It's a good point to belabor.

I wonder if RCBS would sell you the bottom half of the screw and the plastic tips. Then you could just swap out the lower part of the stem when you switch to .45s. Might be worth a call.

Wow, someone who understands this!!! (I teach it.) Rare and good on you!

I had a female supervisor when I was a Rep for Air Life of Oregon. She had obviously never worked with males, she was an office type and had a degree in "Communication". Lovely (sarc)

After interminable lectures on multitasking as a typical female trait and advantage, I had had enough of it... I mentioned that it is IMPOSSIBLE for the brain to do more than one thing at the same time... that you can go quickly between various brain tasks, but it's not a parallel processor, you'd need two or more brains for that. MISTAKE! She held that against me and used it against me on performance reviews. However, I tried just agreeing with everything she said and that didn't work out either. I wound up quitting a high paying and otherwise pleasurable job, 2yrs in, because this woman was an office bully (I'm not the only one that quit but the big bozz and HR backed her up and poohpoohed my complaints) and a nightmare to work with/for.

I had a female supervisor when I was a Rep for Air Life of Oregon. She had obviously never worked with males, she was an office type and had a degree in "Communication". Lovely (sarc)

After interminable lectures on multitasking as a typical female trait and advantage, I had had enough of it... I mentioned that it is IMPOSSIBLE for the brain to do more than one thing at the same time... that you can go quickly between various brain tasks, but it's not a parallel processor, you'd need two or more brains for that. MISTAKE! She held that against me and used it against me on performance reviews. However, I tried just agreeing with everything she said and that didn't work out either. I wound up quitting a high paying and otherwise pleasurable job, 2yrs in, because this woman was an office bully (I'm not the only one that quit but the big bozz and HR backed her up and poohpoohed my complaints) and a nightmare to work with/for.
A long time ago I painted the exterior of a mansion for a female urban planner. Took her two months to decide on the colors. Painted it while she was away on vacation.. she didn't like the colors when she got back. I painted it again and charged her again. Genius.

And keep an eye on your powder. You'll go through it in a hurry and if you aren't paying attention you'll put bullets in empty cases.
Ask me how I know...:oops:
That's for sure! And then, after you fill the powder measure it's a good idea to give it a couple of test shots to make sure the powder settles in the hopper. I also watch and not let it get too low. With less pressure at the base of the powder column in the hopper, less can flow and the charges will run light.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top