Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Got a new Ruger SP101

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Ought Six, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Ought Six

Ought Six Snoqualmie Valley area Active Member

I just got shoulder surgery, and I will have one arm in a sling for a month. All my handguns were autos, and pulling back the slide to load a round or clear the chamber is a two-handed operation. So I looked at revolvers, and ended up ordering a Ruger SP101 3" .357.

I really like this revolver. It is built like a tank. The weight bias is very front-heavy, which is good when you are shooting full-power loads. It helps keep the muzzle down. It shoots much better than the S&W J-frame and Ruger LCR .357 2" snubbie pocket rockets.

The gun is heavier and larger than I expect, but it conceals well in a Bladetech Nano IWB holster. The five-shot capacity does not particularly bother me. I am carrying it with Hornady 125 grain Critical Defense rounds. I am going to order an XS Sights BigDot front blade with tritium insert for it. I am considering new grips as well, but have made no decision on that.

I will likely go back to carrying my Glock 27 when my shoulder heals, but there is no way I am getting rid of my SP101. I am far too attached to it now.

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I love my SP101. Here's what I had done to mine by Gemini Customs. Bead blast, carry melt, full action job, and Hybra Porting. Pricey, but worth it.

DSCN0758-1-1.jpg

3. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Good choice, that's the same gun that I used for carry when my shoulder was out of service for a few months.

4. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Nice - I've always liked the 3" SP-101's. I already have a 3" S&W 60, but have thought about also getting a 3" SP-101 just because I think they're so cool.

I'm curious how they handle hot/heavy loads like Buffalo Bore 180 gr rounds - anyone tried out of one of these guns?

5. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Once you are all better you should practice one handed loading. If you are ever in a fire fight and loose the use of one arm/hand you need to know how to chamber a round with both auto and revolver. If my pistol has the right sights on it, I used the rear sight and the heal of my shoe to chamber a round. I have held one of these sp101 revolvers and they are really nice.... if I ever get a .357 this will be it.

6. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

We got wifey one of these for carry, great little gun. Shooting .357 was pure torture in my opinion, be asking for the gun to fly if only using one hand.

Mike

7. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

:laugh:

8. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

You can shoot .38special in it, or match the ammo to the size of the gun better.

9. Cougfan2

If you haven't already, ditch the factory grips. I hated them. I put on a Hogue grip and the gun is much more controlable. IMO

10. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol Salem Active Member

I have a GP100 and absolutely love it. Ruger makes great revolvers.

11. Cougfan2

I haven't shot any real hot .357 loads in mine, but I have shot some Federal AE .357 158 gr in it and even with the porting the recoil is pretty stout. My defense loads for my SP101 are Speer .38 spl 135 gr JHP GoldDot ammo.

12. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I carry basically the same thing in my S&W 60. I've shot 124 gr loads from the 60, and they were controllable, but not "enjoyable" to shoot.

13. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Crimson Trace my friend!

Mike

14. cutter

cutter Buckley,Wa. Member

I've shot hundreds of 158,170 and 180gr full power .357 handloads through my 3" Sp101 with no problems.Over the last 40 years I've had three .357 S&W K frames crack forcing cones and go out of time.Two .357 J frames fared even worse.The little Ruger is amazingly durable.

15. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

For what it's worth my own SP-101 is a 2.1" barrel with a bobbed type hammer. A few years ago I ordered an XS BigDot front sight and had a local, retired, smith attempt to replace it for me.

He could not do it and told me that the holes did not line up and that there was not enough room between the two pieces to redrill and repin the holes. Hopefully you will not encounter that problem.

I probably still have the sight floating around somewhere.

16. DeletedUser1

DeletedUser1 Member

17. Cougfan2

That's what I love about my Rugers. I have a Security-Six as well as the SP101 and they're both built like tanks.

18. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Yet another birthday and x-mas has passed without you giving me that ported SP101 as a gift. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Valentine's day. Don't disappoint me again.