JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got shoulder surgery, and I will have one arm in a sling for a month. All my handguns were autos, and pulling back the slide to load a round or clear the chamber is a two-handed operation. So I looked at revolvers, and ended up ordering a Ruger SP101 3" .357.

I really like this revolver. It is built like a tank. The weight bias is very front-heavy, which is good when you are shooting full-power loads. It helps keep the muzzle down. It shoots much better than the S&W J-frame and Ruger LCR .357 2" snubbie pocket rockets.

The gun is heavier and larger than I expect, but it conceals well in a Bladetech Nano IWB holster. The five-shot capacity does not particularly bother me. I am carrying it with Hornady 125 grain Critical Defense rounds. I am going to order an XS Sights BigDot front blade with tritium insert for it. I am considering new grips as well, but have made no decision on that.

I will likely go back to carrying my Glock 27 when my shoulder heals, but there is no way I am getting rid of my SP101. I am far too attached to it now.

I love my SP101. Here's what I had done to mine by Gemini Customs. Bead blast, carry melt, full action job, and Hybra Porting. Pricey, but worth it.

DSCN0758-1-1.jpg

Nice - I've always liked the 3" SP-101's. I already have a 3" S&W 60, but have thought about also getting a 3" SP-101 just because I think they're so cool.

I'm curious how they handle hot/heavy loads like Buffalo Bore 180 gr rounds - anyone tried out of one of these guns?

Once you are all better you should practice one handed loading. If you are ever in a fire fight and loose the use of one arm/hand you need to know how to chamber a round with both auto and revolver. If my pistol has the right sights on it, I used the rear sight and the heal of my shoe to chamber a round. I have held one of these sp101 revolvers and they are really nice.... if I ever get a .357 this will be it.

We got wifey one of these for carry, great little gun. Shooting .357 was pure torture in my opinion, be asking for the gun to fly if only using one hand.

Mike

Nice - I've always liked the 3" SP-101's. I already have a 3" S&W 60, but have thought about also getting a 3" SP-101 just because I think they're so cool.

I'm curious how they handle hot/heavy loads like Buffalo Bore 180 gr rounds - anyone tried out of one of these guns?

I haven't shot any real hot .357 loads in mine, but I have shot some Federal AE .357 158 gr in it and even with the porting the recoil is pretty stout. My defense loads for my SP101 are Speer .38 spl 135 gr JHP GoldDot ammo.

I haven't shot any real hot .357 loads in mine, but I have shot some Federal AE .357 158 gr in it and even with the porting the recoil is pretty stout. My defense loads for my SP101 are Speer .38 spl 135 gr JHP GoldDot ammo.

I carry basically the same thing in my S&W 60. I've shot 124 gr loads from the 60, and they were controllable, but not "enjoyable" to shoot.

I've shot hundreds of 158,170 and 180gr full power .357 handloads through my 3" Sp101 with no problems.Over the last 40 years I've had three .357 S&W K frames crack forcing cones and go out of time.Two .357 J frames fared even worse.The little Ruger is amazingly durable.

I am going to order an XS Sights BigDot front blade with tritium insert for it.

For what it's worth my own SP-101 is a 2.1" barrel with a bobbed type hammer. A few years ago I ordered an XS BigDot front sight and had a local, retired, smith attempt to replace it for me.

He could not do it and told me that the holes did not line up and that there was not enough room between the two pieces to redrill and repin the holes. Hopefully you will not encounter that problem.

I probably still have the sight floating around somewhere.

I've shot hundreds of 158,170 and 180gr full power .357 handloads through my 3" Sp101 with no problems.Over the last 40 years I've had three .357 S&W K frames crack forcing cones and go out of time.Two .357 J frames fared even worse.The little Ruger is amazingly durable.

That's what I love about my Rugers. I have a Security-Six as well as the SP101 and they're both built like tanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top