JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought one of those MTM AR15 toolboxes a few years ago, thinking, yes, everything will stay in the nice little trays and the stand will fit all my rifles.

Well, the second part was true.

These days, i have a dedicated gun bench, but half the toolbox sits at the back and there is cleaning stuff, *EVERYWHERE* :(

I'd love to know how everyone else sets out or "stores" their equipment. I don't need to put any of my stuff "away" so to speak, but like, maybe some little envelope-type shelves might work at the back of the desk perhaps?

Thoughts?

Shelf for cleaning supplies and wall mounted bins for little parts.

Srq37es.jpg

I need a separate gun bench but at my workbench in my garage, I keep all the gun tools in a bag with a dedicated compartment to cleaning supplies. When I need any of the tools or cleaning supplies I just bring the bag out and lay it on the bench.

Shelf for cleaning supplies and wall mounted bins for little parts.

View attachment 302395
It's almost disgusting that someone can be that organized.
I try not to be jealous of what people have but that setup is pushing my limits.
WOW
I now have hope.
I have reached the end of my rope on wasting gun cleaning time tracking down everything I need and making a space to do it.
Cleaning and reloading benches should be seperate.
I have finally realized I like cleaning my "gun".
I just hate wasting time getting ready.
So looking forward to having seperate space for it.

Also, if any of you guys looking for a workbench, Home Depot has this one for $75. Already bolted together, just fold out the legs and stand it up. I got one for my step son's loading bench. Signature Development 72 in. Fold-Out Wood Workbench-WKBNCH72X22 - The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Signature-Development-72-in-Fold-Out-Wood-Workbench-WKBNCH72X22/203083493)

Also for those with minimal wood working tools but want a larger bench I have 2 workbenches I made with 2x4 basics.

2 x 4 Basics (http://www.2x4basics.com/WorkBench-Legs.html)

just need too screw them together. I got the 2x4's cut to length at Home Depot and used a large particle board section (also had them cut to size). Very sturdy and overall much less expensive that dedicated benches (they are not pretty though).

I try not to be jealous of what people have but that setup is pushing my limits.
WOW
I now have hope.
I have reached the end of my rope on wasting gun cleaning time tracking down everything I need and making a space to do it.

I specifically did not take a shot of the rest of the workbench which is a FEMA certified disaster zone right now. :) But I least know where most of my little tools and parts are.

WOW
I now have hope.

Here are the wall panels I got to hold the bins
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KABBG4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 of them to get to the shelf.

These hold standard plastic bins that you can find at hardware stores. like these
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DPNVIIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally looked for a cabinet with build in bins but they are pretty expensive so this was a cheaper solution

Thanks for all the supplies, and you're right about the cleaning/reloading needing to be separate.

Whilst my reloading hasn't produced anything but shiny clean cases so far, i did put together another bench for it that i can move around.

Cleaning on the other hand, i do like that, but as per my first post, the organisation of the cleaning equipment (i keep collecting it) is horrible.

My bench/desk is in my office, so i can't really do the wall racks, Bolus :( I'm wondering if something like a box shelf unit might work, should i ever be able to find one.
Basically thinking back to the old post office kind of things, letter holes?

Having one piece rifle cleaning rods doesn't help matters, but that's the least of my issues.

Let's see, maybe listing out the things i have to store would help in working out what kind of container/storage would work best?

Jags & brushes in a multi-compartment small plastic box; rods on the wall, baggies with patches and a can of Ballistol. Anything else - which isn't needed very often - sits in a storage bin under the bench.

I actually like the idea of the large tray under the bench pic i posted, but that wouldn't work with my current desk.

@techiej Sorting them into common/uncommon parts might work well, there are absolutely things that have sat in the top tray of the toolbox collecting dust for a while.

Also, if any of you guys looking for a workbench, Home Depot has this one for $75. Already bolted together, just fold out the legs and stand it up. I got one for my step son's loading bench. Signature Development 72 in. Fold-Out Wood Workbench-WKBNCH72X22 - The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Signature-Development-72-in-Fold-Out-Wood-Workbench-WKBNCH72X22/203083493)

Also for those with minimal wood working tools but want a larger bench I have 2 workbenches I made with 2x4 basics.

2 x 4 Basics (http://www.2x4basics.com/WorkBench-Legs.html)

just need too screw them together. I got the 2x4's cut to length at Home Depot and used a large particle board section (also had them cut to size). Very sturdy and overall much less expensive that dedicated benches (they are not pretty though).

I bought the Home Depot one for my reloading bench, but I bought a sheet of 3/4" plywood and made a larger top. It works great and is very sturdy.

Stacy

Seriously! :( I lost the handle for my screwdriver set for about 4 months!

Looking at desk organisers/shelving units on Amazon, starting to think i only need shallow units, and now thinking if i could make them myself with some wood.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top